C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left side dash panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
riacreedon@gmail.com
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left side dash panel removal

I've gutted the whole interior of my '70, except the driver side dash panel. Removed steering column (non-telescoping) support bolts and disconnected electrical connector by the hinge pillar. Also, speedometer & tach cables are loose on engine side. Can't lower the steering column enough to remove the panel.
Do I have to open the column connection at the steering box? If so, will I have any grief reassembling it?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bob,
Have you removed the bolts at the flange on the column were it goes through the firewall? They're not easy to get at.
When they're out the rag joint lets the column drop down far enough to get the pad out.
Support the column at the steering wheel end... don't let it just hang there while you work on what you're doing.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

It's shown in UPC 4, Sheet A9 in your AIM.

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-18-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:27 PM
spinadog
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bob,
Have you removed the bolts at the flange on the column were it goes through the firewall? They're not easy to get at.
When they're out the rag joint lets the column drop down far enough to get the pad out.
Support the column at the steering wheel end... don't let it just hang there while you work on what you're doing.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

It's shown in UPC 4, Sheet A9 in your AIM.
That's how you do it. Really easy apart from getting to those flange bolts! you may be able to get the dash face out without performing this operation but I sure as heck couldn't. Don't forget to replace any dashlight bulbs while you are back there! I found 6 that were blown but the dash still illuminated ok.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
RU7376vettes
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

You didn't state if Roadster, if it is you have several support raods that also go to support column, you will need to remove them.

You will also need to disconnect tach and speedo cables at the Gage. When you get the column to drop you can access the cables and dash wiring. You need to unplug the individual light sockets and the ground plugs to tach and speedo. Last step is to bend back the wiring harness bundle straps to release the harness.

It is a miserable job, but just take your time and don't force it.

Unk
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
riacreedon@gmail.com
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I've located the bolts. Can see that they'll be hard to get at - but hopefully not too bad. Hope that putting them back won't be any harder. Thanks for the light bulb tip. Replacing all the bulbs, fixing the hvac duct and cleaning up the wiring are the reasons I want to remove it. Otherwise the panel is in good shape.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM
azza2u
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I couldn't get the last column bolt on my 68 to turn so I went through the following process which may be an option for you:
- remove the steering wheel (just so access is easier)
- remove all the screws holding the pad on
- slide the pad forwards so that the top can be popped out from under the dash pad
- now you have a bit of access room, reach behind it from the sides and underneath and remove all cables and bulb connections
- then I actually removed the tach and speedo from the rear of the panel (they have 1 screw and 3 small hex bolts/screws each, tricky to get to but can be done)
- remove the air vent from the lower right (held by 3 screws)
- once the instruments were out I found I could manouvre the panel out the gap by the door frame

Not and ideal removal option, but something to keep in mind if you get stuck like I did.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: I was able to remove the left side from my 68 without loosening the flange bolts. Column dropped enough to allow wiggle room.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've R&R'd my '69 left side dash more than half a dozen times. I never needed to totally remove the steering column. Besides the tach and speedo cables, the big hangup was the rather large plug into the headlight switch.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Not the most fun project I have done on my 68 but I was able to remove mine without touching the rag joint, just the bolts under the column and inside the car at the firewall. I marked everything and took lots of pics. Am I glad I did cause 10 minutes after removing it I forgot what went where.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM
riacreedon@gmail.com
Intermediate

Thanks for all the help. It's finally out. My '70 is a roadster and I did have to remove two support rods on the hinge pillar side. Removing the bolt connecting both support rods to the w/s support bracket was hardest part. The cable to the trip reset was wrapped around one of the rods!?!?!?. By the way the AIM, UPC 1, A9 does not accurately show location of support rods. Now that that's done I can get back to putting the suspension, & wheels brakes back together and maybe finally have it ready for the paint shop.
Thanks again. Happy Easter.

Get notified of new replies

To Left side dash panel removal

Quick Reply: Left side dash panel removal