C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

repairing fiberglass cracks

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
DVagedes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing fiberglass cracks

I am in the middle of replacing the back bumper on my 76 corvette (tru-flex from toledo pro, if you wanted to know) since the old bumper was deteriorating and fading pretty bad, also, she could use a new coat of paint. So I have spent the last few weeks spot filling chips and scratches and sanding off the old clear coat, and its been going as planned except for a couple things:

1.) The top (and most noticeable) bodyline on the passenger side is about 1/8th of an inch short on the bumper.

2.) on the same side, the lower curve of the bumper is about 1/4 inch too wide.

3.) there are cracks in the original epoxy that bonds the panels together.

What is the best way to fill these cracks?
What is the best way to build up the bumper to match?
what is the best way to sand down the bumper to match?

I replaced the front bumper last year with few problems, but that bumper lined up a little better, also, i tried filling those cracks with spot putty, but it didn't fill very well :/
Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spot putty is not the way to go, it will just fall out. We need pics from a few angles so we can see what you see. If your panel bond lines are failing, you will have to grind the bad adhesive out, and reglass the seam with epoxy resin and glass mat. Do a search here and in paint/body... there's lots of threads out there about these issues.

Quick Reply: repairing fiberglass cracks