C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone use sealant on a 1pc oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:25 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default anyone use sealant on a 1pc oil pan gasket?

my oil pans been leaking like hell, started with a small drip and got worse and worse. ive got a felpro permadry on it.

when i pulled the pan this evening, both sides of the gasket were just covered in oil. im thinking about just piling a couple gallons of RTV onto both the block, dropping the gasket ontop, and then covering it with more.

im getting really damn sick of these leaks.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walk away from it for a week.
Then arm yourself with some brake cleaner and rags.
Crawl under there and clean the hell out of the entire mating surface. Wherever gasket meets metal.
Verify that you have the correct front seal thickness. There are two types. Don't quote me on this, but I think all 75 and later stock pans and almost all aftermarket pans take the thick seal. That's for SBC. I have no idea about BBC.
And to finally answer your question. Yes, put a little dab of RTV at each corner of the half loops front and rear of the gasket.
Good luck.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 AM
another-user
Safety Car

thankfully i can cheat a bit. ive got the motor on a stand and upside down right now. ive also got acetone and a wire brush.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 AM
brando1118
Pro

Well now. You've got it made then.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might consider some locktite (blue not red) on the pan bolts. I've found they seem to get a little loose now and then...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Have a close look at the pan rail. If they have been overtightened in the past, they may be dimpled towards the block. If so, It will be very hard to get a good seal. Simply take the round side of a ball peen hammer to each bolt hole and gently them out the other way.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Have a close look at the pan rail. If they have been overtightened in the past, they may be dimpled towards the block. If so, It will be very hard to get a good seal. Simply take the round side of a ball peen hammer to each bolt hole and gently them out the other way.

You also need to determine if you have the correct gasket. There are two different gasket designs for small block chevy's. Most earlier engines use the one with the thin front (between the timing cover and the front of the oil pan). There was a later design that used a thicker gasket at the front. If you have the thicker gasket and you are trying to use it with a timing cover and oil pan designed for the thinner gasket you will never get the side rails to seal.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM
another-user
Safety Car

im going to say i have OS34509T, as thats the only one autozone lists. i have no idea if thats the thick or thin one.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

The thick v/s thin timing cover seal is a big difference. If you mismatch those, it either won't go together at all or it'll leak like crazy. Most of the time when those pan gaskets leak it's from overtorqueing. You either end up over compressing the gasket or like CA-legal said you dimple out the pan around the bolt holes and screw up the flatness of the mating surface. When you put it back together, use a inch-lbs torque wrench. You might be surprised at how little torque they take.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:01 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wcsinx
The thick v/s thin timing cover seal is a big difference. If you mismatch those, it either won't go together at all or it'll leak like crazy. Most of the time when those pan gaskets leak it's from overtorqueing. You either end up over compressing the gasket or like CA-legal said you dimple out the pan around the bolt holes and screw up the flatness of the mating surface. When you put it back together, use a inch-lbs torque wrench. You might be surprised at how little torque they take.
i actually did that when i installed it for the first time. even torqued in sequence, just a little at a time. kept going round and round till they came up to spec.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Schaggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My $.02

For what it's worth... I've been using fel-pro blue gaskets for some time now. I've even had to re-use one in a pinch once. I think they're definitely worth the $35. Also, I like to use a Permetex product called the Right Stuff in the corners. It usually runs around 8 bucks a can

My $.02 on a well-spent $43
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user
i actually did that when i installed it for the first time. even torqued in sequence, just a little at a time. kept going round and round till they came up to spec.
Good deal but that doesn't guarantee the last owner did the same. Put a straigedge along the pan lip and make sure it's as flat as it can be.

Last edited by wcsinx; 05-03-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM
another-user
Safety Car

well, i think i found several problems... click on the images to go full sized.

Gasket -

Pan Bolt Holes - i cant tell if these are over torqued, or made this way. im going to say over torqued.

and the pan sitting on the gasket, looks like it doesnt seal for crap just sitting on there.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:38 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Yeah, the pan bolt holes look dimpled. Try reworking that like others have said. Then you could try checking it with a feeler gage after its torqued down, maybe a .004" or .003". I did that with a transmission pan that I had my doubts about, reworked a corner till the feeler wouldn't go in as far, and that pan doesn't leak.

The gasket you have looks like it has inserts at the holes to prevent overtorqueing, but your pan definitely needs some work. You could look into buying a new one.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Just to make things interesting there is also a 3rd Medium thickness Gasket for SBC. Its in between the Thick and the Thin. I'm not sure if its made anymore, its usualy not listed in Parts Books anymore. I think it was for use with a 69 block and front cover. Thats what my last Motor was and I needed it.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Check The Pan

Try sitting the pan on without a gasket and see if it is warped , It should sit flat to the block on both sides . Be sure not to over tighten the bolts when you install the gasket . I lightly snug the 4 larger corner bolts first and then the side ones starting in the middle and doing 1 at a time on each side working to the ends . Just tighten them lightly and move to the next one . I do it 3 times and Do Not Over Tighten them !

Good Luck

Bill
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default And Another Thing !

While you have it on the block without a gasket put the 4 corner bolts in snug and take the big end of a punch and tap down the bolt holes in the pan . This is caused by over tightening the pan bolts .
Bill
Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
boltnut
Drifting

i use a butter thin coating of permatex ultra grey on both sides. leak free !

Get notified of new replies

To anyone use sealant on a 1pc oil pan gasket?

Quick Reply: anyone use sealant on a 1pc oil pan gasket?