C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Intermittent Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1974 Intermittent Starting Issue

Hello-

Recently, my 1974 Corvette has had some trouble starting. When I turn the key to start, the starter motor sometimes wont crank, even though it is only about 7 months old (The problem is getting more common, pretty much every attempt to start this occurs). The ammeter shows a large draw on the battery (So the starter is getting power) and to further show that the electrics are fine, the clutch safety switch, when the clutch is not depressed, makes it so there is no draw on the bettery, shown by the ammeter. I think it may be the solenoid contacts, as it will sometimes slightly turn the starter over until it gets to a "good spot" in the contacts- the hitting the starter/solenoid trick works sometimes. Since the issue is pretty much settled to be the starter/solenoid, is my problem the starter itself (The brushes?) or the solenoid contacts?

Please let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks,
Will
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If your showing a heavy draw its probably not a solenoid issue. Since the starter is new , remove it and have it checked,problem should show on a test.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There is a connector just to the right side and behind the distributor for the starter extension harness. I've seen a couple of them dirty, partially disconnected or just plain burned up. If it's bad, it will cause start problems. On the good side, if the wires down to the starter are really bad, you can replace that short harness for way less than a new engine harness.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
There is a connector just to the right side and behind the distributor for the starter extension harness. I've seen a couple of them dirty, partially disconnected or just plain burned up. If it's bad, it will cause start problems. On the good side, if the wires down to the starter are really bad, you can replace that short harness for way less than a new engine harness.
I was thinking of doing that. Where is that short harness available?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think that short harness extension with connector started until around 77.
(The 403 connector.)
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I don't think that short harness extension with connector started until around 77.
(The 403 connector.)
Yes, I can't see a connecting plug in that area on my 1974. My car starts well with no problem so I'll leave it be. Things are just greasy so I will just clean/tidy up. I thought of cutting/replacing the starter wires with new and shrink-wrapping, etc. but I know me and I will invite trouble.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Frank O'Hara
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be 1) a bad ground cable 2) I powder coated my frame and we had to grind off the powder coating where the ground cable bolts up.

This problem drove me crazy - I replaced everything and finally took it to a auto electical specialst - I couldn't believe the powder coating caused a problem but it did ....
Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by paul 74
Yes, I can't see a connecting plug in that area on my 1974. My car starts well with no problem so I'll leave it be. Things are just greasy so I will just clean/tidy up. I thought of cutting/replacing the starter wires with new and shrink-wrapping, etc. but I know me and I will invite trouble.
#1 No body should be looking down there!

#2 It ain't broke- don't fix it!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Thanks for all of the replies. I checked all of my wiring and the grounds and it all seems to check out. Since it is a new (rebuilt) starter, I am just getting it replaced/fixed on warranty. I should have it tomorrow, Ill let you guys know how it makes out.

Thanks again,
Will
Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If its a 74 and it won't start you should check this out.

http://home.comcast.net/~vettfixr/page16.htm
Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Thanks to you all again, I got it figured out! It was a faulty starter afterall, I got a replacement one on warranty and installed it and she fired right up! All I had to do was some shimming so it didnt whine/grind (dont want to lose my flywheel ring gear or starter teeth!). But of course something always pops up.....I discovered my proportioning valve is leaking and that my rear master cylinder resevoir was pretty much empty. Oh well....it was the only part of the brake system not replaced because it was good at that time, but now its 37 year old self finally failed. But this is for another thread!

vettfixr- Thanks for the idea, luckily it wasnt that. You have a really nice car BTW! Also greetings from Pennington, NJ

Thanks again,
Will

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 Intermittent Starting Issue

Quick Reply: 1974 Intermittent Starting Issue