C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 aftermarket headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Try the NAPA Sylvania or Wagner H5001 and H5006 before you go hog-wild. They are more than adequate for street use and do not require mods. Less than $20.00.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the thread entitled awesome headlight upgrade not HID. I'm on my phone so can't look up the link but it'll be near the top when you search in google. Anyhow one of our forum members discovered that united pacific part# 31386 is an all metal and glass assembly with bulbs and conversion harness to use h4 bulbs. The cheapest I found them
For was $24.99 I ordered them last night and they shipped this morning. The website is centraltruckaccessories.com and search for 31386 it'll bring them up. I chose these over the ones the poster indicated above because they look much nicer with the diamond clear glass as opposed to the old sealed beam looking ones for $15.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the stock lights in my 68 were appalling.
Fitted some Hella replacements for normal/main beam, and installed a pair of 150 watt landing lights for Hi beam units.

I also needed a new alternator....

But whoa!

What a difference.

I used to be concerned driving around my block at night at low speeds due to the poor original lighting.

Now I can just about fry the feathers off an emu at 300 metres!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have some hella housings from rallylights.com. Great housings and opens your options up for some h4 halogens or some hids. I'm running some 100w yellow hella halogens for my hi's and some 55w hids (4300 temp) for my lo's and hi's. The hids put out some light and are nice and white no blue/purple tint to them at all.

My car is up on jack stands now but I have some pictures I'll post up tomorrow with the hids and 55wyellow hi's before I had a chance to align the headlights.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

I found the link, here it is to the original thread I referenced for the H4 conversion.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...e-not-hid.html

Skip to this link(post#44 for the pics)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572096993-post44.html

Originally Posted by 81fastvette
These are the bulbs that I used for the low beams and I used Pilot Xenon Whites for high beams as I was experimenting with bulbs. I would recommend the night hawk sports for all four though. The harness plugs right in on the low beam, for the high beam lights you will need to bend the prong for the black wire back on the harness before you plug it into the two prong factory harness on the high beams. I used tape to keep the connection clean and tight. New vs. Old

Here is a link to where I purchased mine from yesterday for $24.99 each, total cost shipped was $117 with harness adaptors, bulbs and housings for all 4 headlights.
http://shop.centraltruckaccessories....E.qscstrfrnt04

This link is courtesy of Nassyvette, I looked through various methods and couldnt find them for under $30 until I ran across his post.

My plan will be to modify the wiring so all 4 lights are Low beams and all 4 lights are also high beams.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bruiser
i found a wiring diagram on another vette site that shows how to make your own harness
uses 2 relays and some heavier wire direct to the alt
headlight switch controls the relays to switch the power
i'm gathering parts to do mine, but without cutting into the existing loom
plug and play, by plugging into an existing socket and using a new sockets on the globes
Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

please keep in mind I have not aligned my HID's this was right after I hooked them up and rebuilt the headlight bezels.

silverstars in hella housing compared to stock sealed beam:

silverstars:

HID's mounted (these are the hi/lo hid's so they have a little solenoid mounted in the back of them to make them tilt up/down for the hi/lo function):

lows:

highs (w/55w yellow halogens in bright housings):

behind the wheel, looks like I need to aim them out a bit.

and 4 tail light modification just because I want to show it off!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my headlamps here - (also good faq section)

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Bulbs here -

http://store.candlepower.com/houpbuthno.html

Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Note the beam pattern on blueGTP's lights above which illustrates the importance of beam pattern from a quality automotive lense and lumen color-sealed beams of any sort will not produce the optimal color nor will sealed beam landing lights with a simple reflector/lense! Excellent example! Thanx.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Note the beam pattern on blueGTP's lights above which illustrates the importance of beam pattern from a quality automotive lense and lumen color-sealed beams of any sort will not produce the optimal color nor will sealed beam landing lights with a simple reflector/lense! Excellent example! Thanx.
I've been meaning to ask you, shouldn't the cut-off on these HID bulbs be just the opposite. With the nice, clean cut-off on top with the spread of the beam across the bottom when the hid's are on low? Maybe I'm wrong though. The HID bulbs had some large shields on them but they were on the bottom of the bulb when installed (bought an HID kit from ddmtuning.com). There's no way to flip the shield without spending some time working/cutting with either the bulb or the hella housings.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Put your lights on a separate relay that gives them full battery power, that will help as well.

Frank
Old 05-13-2011, 10:35 AM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default the easiest

I converted the original headlights in my 68 and 70 about 25 years ago with the purchase of GE halogens. These halogens brighten up night time driving enough for me. Really see the difference on the dark highways with no traffic when brights can be used.

Last edited by 70ZZ3 96LT4; 05-13-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I just put in the aircraft landing lights for high beams and ordered these for my low beams, should be able to see OK at night now

http://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/Merc...Category_Code=
Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by myoriginal77
Put your lights on a separate relay that gives them full battery power, that will help as well.

Frank

Most people don't realize just how much light output is reduced with lower voltages. Put your headlight circuit through relays right off the alternator for a dramatic difference, even with stock sealed beams.

Originally Posted by Daniel Stern Lighting
Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential with the power 3.4.

For example, let's consider a 9006 low beam bulb rated 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and plug in different voltages:

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
14.5V : 1528 lumens
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

More good reading here:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

It really does make a big difference when this mod is done.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:52 PM
VetteV8
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluegtp
I've been meaning to ask you, shouldn't the cut-off on these HID bulbs be just the opposite. With the nice, clean cut-off on top with the spread of the beam across the bottom when the hid's are on low? Maybe I'm wrong though. The HID bulbs had some large shields on them but they were on the bottom of the bulb when installed (bought an HID kit from ddmtuning.com). There's no way to flip the shield without spending some time working/cutting with either the bulb or the hella housings.
The shields in the bulbs should be on the bottom for low beam, because in that case the light rays are only going to the top of the reflector, and from there they illuminate the lower portion below the waist line.

Another few observations: if you use the Euro halogen lights as wired from the factory, be prepared for trouble: the headlightswitch has a breaker installed inside, which trips, if you power 4 hi beams @ 60 Watts each, that is together more than 20 Amps and the breaker will do its job.
So for some time you will be in the dark! That is total darkness.
We have many reports over here where Chevy owners added lights wired over the main switch, and experienced this.
That is because, most European and Japanese cars do have all lights separately fused, so each individual hi an lo beam has a separate fuse, 4 in all, and then another 2 for the tails.

You will not have this problem with HID's, because these take LESS power, 35 Watts only, and give much more light as stated above.

There is something else to consider however: over here, it is mandatory, that if you have HID lo-beams, then these MUST remain ON, when the high beam is selected.
The reason for this is, that it takes 'some' time, before the HID comes on, and is at full power. So there will be a very brief period of less light, when you would change back to lo-beam, if it has not remained on with the hi's
And because of this, it is again preferable not to wire this set up all thru' your main lightswitch.

Cor
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM
neuroclast
Pro

Originally Posted by bluegtp
please keep in mind I have not aligned my HID's this was right after I hooked them up and rebuilt the headlight bezels.

So are those just normal reflectors with HID bulbs? How do they direct the beam pattern like projector lenses? Just curious because I wanted to convert mine to HID but don't want to blind everyone...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just put in the aircraft landing lights for high beams and ordered these for my low beams, should be able to see OK at night now

http://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/Merc...Category_Code=
I think i'm going the same way.
Have to keep this low budget.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 aftermarket headlights?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Originally Posted by neuroclast
So are those just normal reflectors with HID bulbs? How do they direct the beam pattern like projector lenses? Just curious because I wanted to convert mine to HID but don't want to blind everyone...
I don't think they blind anyone. Haven't had anyone flash me yet since I've gotten the car on the road, I have them adjusted pretty high and I'm running the 55W HID's (most are the 35W). They do have a little shield on them and on top of that the Hella housings are supposed to have a nice beam to them too.

I'll try and get someone to drive my car here soon one night and i'll drive in the other direction to actually see first hand what the beam looks like to others on the road.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by myoriginal77

Frank

I updated my lights to use the United Pacific housings with the Silverstar bulbs, and that made a huge difference. But I was still curious about using relays, and getting some higher voltage, and better lighting. So, I decided to give it a shot.

There were 2 main things that bothered me about putting in a relay. 1) there is no way I was going to cut my original harness, and 2) I was worried about safety, I was afraid of a relay going bad while I was driving at night.

So I decided to build a harness (actually 2 seperate ones), that would plug into my existing harness, and would work independant of each other, so worst case, I only lost one side of my headlights.

I used these h4 pigtails - http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm (search for P43t), and these relay sockets http://www.frys.com/product/4191643?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG. I used 14ga wire, and put in a 30 amp fuse on each.

Basically I cut the connectors, and wired a relay socket between the male and female connectors. The male connector plugs into the original harness, so that it is used to trigger the relay. On the relay on the highbeam both 87's are used, and one is wired to the high beam wire on the high/low's female connector.

With the connectors, and relay sockets, it proved very easy to make. Total cost was about $75, but I didn't have to modify my existing harness, and I don't have to worry about loosing my headlights at night.

With only one of the harnesses in, I could definitely tell the difference.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by riverracer au
i found a wiring diagram on another vette site that shows how to make your own harness
uses 2 relays and some heavier wire direct to the alt
headlight switch controls the relays to switch the power
i'm gathering parts to do mine, but without cutting into the existing loom
plug and play, by plugging into an existing socket and using a new sockets on the globes
can you post the link or instructions for us? i had the above mentioned lights but couldnt install them due to not having relays nor wanting to cut the factory harness so i havnt used them.

Quick Reply: C3 aftermarket headlights?