C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat in 1978 vette

Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

78 Stan , you said in your OP that the heater controls didn't work.
Have you checked that out ? A vacuum leak would cause the controls to not work and also would allow free flow of coolant through the heater control valve.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Your '78 may be different but what determines the size of the heater hoses is the size/sizes on the heater core. On my '77 the inlet to the core is 5/8" from the intake and the outlet which hooks to the side of the water pump is 3/4". mike...
Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
78stan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On another post I see they used a 3/4" valve.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...nder-40-a.html

I will do my best with the 5/8"... hopefully I don't have to return it.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
78stan
Instructor

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
78 Stan , you said in your OP that the heater controls didn't work.
Have you checked that out ? A vacuum leak would cause the controls to not work and also would allow free flow of coolant through the heater control valve.
The controls seems just to be a face. I bring the switch to heat to cold but nothing happens. I notice tension when I use the switch... but no difference in temperature is felt.

Should I turn the turnbuckle to the right or left? I have my passenger side trim panel off and I am looking at it. It appears to be connected but I'm not sure what else to do, or if I should remove the glove department.

My headlights work by vacume and it seems fine! No vacume issues I can detect.

Last edited by 78stan; 05-17-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 78stan
Whats the benefit of putting in a manual shut off valve up on top from rather than fixing the heater control valve?

As you can see I think the hose is a 1/2"... I would need to get a fitting that fits this.
I get that the red circles is where I would cut the hose and put in a ball valve from home depot... something that could fit an 1/2" piece fitting, but what about the heater control valve that I assume is deeper in the vette... whats the purpose of that?
The heater control valve for a 1978 vette is hard to get to right? I mean its right up on the passenger side near the firewall.

I know this is off topic, but I'd be more concerned about that sketchy lookin' fuel line.........

Scott
Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM
78IndyPace
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts

Should I turn the turnbuckle to the right or left? I have my passenger side trim panel off and I am looking at it. It appears to be connected but I'm not sure what else to do, or if I should remove the glove department.
I don't remember which way the turnbuckle must be turned. Yes, you need to remove the glove box (4 phillips screws and the light assembly) so you can see what's happening with the plunger in the vacuum valve. As I said before, the plunger must be fully depressed in order to supply vacuum to the underhood valve. That's how the underhood valve is held closed so coolant does not flow through the heater core. The temperature control lever must be fully to the left (cold) as you adjust the turnbuckle.

Here's a link to a replacement vacuum valve so you can see what it looks like:

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=26130
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
I know this is off topic, but I'd be more concerned about that sketchy lookin' fuel line.........

Scott
I was thinkin' the same thing. Hopefully that filter housing is plastic and not glass.

Might be worth re-routing the lines, or using a braided type line for that.

FWIW, my '78 has 5/8 inside diameter hose running between the manifold and the HC.

Dont forget to shut the fan off, the switch only goes to a "low" setting. Unplug the fan. Its near the pass side hood latch, in the top of the heater box. A 3 or 4 wire L shaped connector.

dodosmike
Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by 78IndyPace
I don't remember which way the turnbuckle must be turned. Yes, you need to remove the glove box (4 phillips screws and the light assembly) so you can see what's happening with the plunger in the vacuum valve. As I said before, the plunger must be fully depressed in order to supply vacuum to the underhood valve. That's how the underhood valve is held closed so coolant does not flow through the heater core. The temperature control lever must be fully to the left (cold) as you adjust the turnbuckle.
but sometimes the cable resistance wont hold the vacuum valve fully depressed. If thats the case I'll share what I do to help with that.

edit-i found an old thread with what i do to help with the valve
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-question.html

Last edited by ...Roger...; 05-18-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 PM
78stan
Instructor

Thanks Roger!

I went to Lowes and got my self a make shift part... 5/8" fittings! Hopefully this works!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:44 PM
78stan
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottyp99

Scott
Ya I know... gonna have to go to Autozone and replace the fuel filter with the traditional one. Its plastic but not a fan of this type of filter.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 PM
78stan
Instructor

Ohhh... It only cost me $12.00!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree with this except that only one shutoff valve is needed to stop coolant flow through the heater core. If you go this route, install the manual valve in the smaller hose. It is the heater core supply line, and coolant flows through it from the intake manifold to the heater core. That's what I did on my '78 with the exact same "heat in the footwells" problem described by the OP.

Turned out I had 2 problems with my stock system: (1) A badly miss-adjusted temperature control cable, and (2) a broken vacuum hose.

The temp control cable not only controls an air mixing flapper, it also actuates a "bypass valve vacuum switch" that cuts off or supplies vacuum to the "heater hose bypass valve" installed in the coolant supply line between the intake manifold and the heater core. The miss-adjusted temperature control cable was not depressing the plunger of the bypass valve vacuum switch; thus the heater hose bypass valve was always OPEN (the fail-safe position) and hot coolant was ALWAYS flowing through my heater core. So I had HOT footwells regardless of where my temperature control lever was set.

Also, the small white or yellowish vacuum hose from the bypass valve vacuum switch to the heater hose bypass valve was completely severed INSIDE the firewall grommet. That hose had turned very brittle over 30 years.

The temperature control cable moves a lever that depresses a plunger on the bypass valve vacuum switch. The position of that lever is adjusted through a turnbuckle in the cable. Remove your passenger seat and the center console side cover, and you'll see the turnbuckle (white plastic, about 1-1/2" or 2" long) in the temperature control cable. (The turnbuckle looks a lot like an in-line fuse holder.) You'll have to remove the glove box liner to see the bypass valve vacuum switch that is mounted on top of the heater box behind the glove box. The plunger on the bypass valve vacuum switch must be FULLY depressed (temp control lever fully COLD) in order to supply the vacuum to the heater hose bypass valve and thus stop the flow of coolant through the heater core.

Here's the best climate control vacuum system schematic I've found so far:

I hope all this helps.

Here's some pics from my 1980 vette when I had a heat issue. I replaced the vacuum control valve that is attached to passenger side front fender, temp was still 68F with AC running. I then pulled the glove box and the vacuum control switch button was not being depressed when lever was in full cold position. I made the cable adjustment and the temp went from 68F to 28F when AC is running on my car.

Tony G

Last edited by Yellow1980; 05-19-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 AM
78stan
Instructor

Thanks for that!!! Thanks to everyone!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 PM
78stan
Instructor

Default There is no button

I pulled off the glove box, and found that my cable was not even touching the button. I adjusted it but then found that at its most it doesn't even make contact. Then... I found out that the vacume tube switch doesn't even have a button to push! I placed my index finger on the tip and nothing was being depressed.

How would I fix this?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Replace the valve.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 PM
78stan
Instructor

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I knew you were going to say that... but how do I pull this thing out? Remove the dash board?

Last edited by 78stan; 05-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
78IndyPace
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the bolt?
Yes.

I am assuming there are two...
Yes.

This valve is a real PITA to get out and replace without removing the dash, but it can be done with the right 1/4" drive small socket + extension + socket driver combination. Removing the A/C duct to passenger side outlet gives a little more space. That duct is just a slip fit at both ends and you can pull it out through the glove box opening in the dash.

If you decide you'd rather remove the dash, here's a link to a paper that will help. It covers heater core removal/replacement, which requires dash removal:

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/heatercoreremoval.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To heat in 1978 vette

Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM
78stan
Instructor

Just to update everyone.
I installed the "custom" shut off valve. I was worried for a bit because the temp passed over 200, but then dropped rapidly. I guess it didnt get a chance to warm up when I was on my way. I am skipping the vacuum tube install... no need for this if all I'm gonna do is shut off the valve. Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 AM
javaman
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 371 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What a great thread!! This is why this forum and the people who participate are the best. Having a very similar problem with my 69 - heat coming up from the defroster vent. I now know the short term solution (the external shut off valve) and what to do to correct the problem in the long run. Can finally take my wife out to a cruise without her worrying about her makeup and hair!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a link to a replacement vacuum valve so you can see what it looks like:

I know that this was posted a year ago but I recently found out in a Vette issue that the new vacuum valve should be taken apart and re use the original spring as the new ones are too tough. Then put it back together. You will see how much less tension it will take to push the switch in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heat in 1978 vette