C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Vapor Canister - Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:04 PM
gterhorst
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Vapor Canister - Good or Bad?

I have a 1972 almost street ready, I'm trying to get the gas tank and carb vent lines hooked up. I have the fuel vapor canister, however not sure how to tell if its still good or bad (do they go bad)? Its not cracked and the filter under the bottom cover is dirty but otherwise looks good. It is heavy - not sure if that indicates anything.

What was the intended purpose of this device, other than to trap and prevent fuel and exhaust vapors from hitting mother earth? Seems odd to design all this then put a hose at the lowest point of the canister (where I would assume liquid would accumulate) and vent it to the atmosphere. ahh the 70's before the GREEN push - JK!

anyway should I use the canister system?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming you have it correctly hooked up, then yes you should use the canister.

The purpose of the system is to suck the gas vapors from the gas tank, and store them, so they can then be pulled into the carb and burned off.

If the system is not working right, you will most likely have a strong gas smell in your garage. If the system is working correctly, you should be able to tell when you get gas. When you get gas, you should notice a bit of vacuum when you remove the gas cap.

If you do not hook up the cannister, block off the line that goes to the gas tank, and make sure you use a vented gas cap, and not the sealed gas cap.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi gt,
Mash's info is right on
There has been a thread just recently, (with-in the last week), about replacing the charcoal in the canister. You do it from the bottom and use 'activated' (what does that mean?) charcoal from the tropical fish supply store.
As far as the bottom drain??? I've wondered the same thing as you.... I'm thinking it's a 'fail safe', so that if somehow gas from the tank gets pulled into the canister because the vapor separator mounted on the driver's side of the tank stops working.
The felt filter you see when you open the bottom cover is available from various suppliers.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mashman
Assuming you have it correctly hooked up, then yes you should use the canister.

The purpose of the system is to suck the gas vapors from the gas tank, and store them, so they can then be pulled into the carb and burned off.

If the system is not working right, you will most likely have a strong gas smell in your garage. If the system is working correctly, you should be able to tell when you get gas. When you get gas, you should notice a bit of vacuum when you remove the gas cap.

If you do not hook up the cannister, block off the line that goes to the gas tank, and make sure you use a vented gas cap, and not the sealed gas cap.

Question: If the present gas cap is sealed, what type of damage if any could occur? I have an 81 that I purchased a few months ago and I have a combination locking gas cap, therefore I'm assuming it is not vented. I will go and listen for a vaccum when I remove the cap. Moving forward, so if I do not hear a vaccum, I should replace my gas cap.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Here you go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...g-gas-cap.html

81s appear to be a different animal from earlier years

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Vapor Canister - Good or Bad?

Quick Reply: Fuel Vapor Canister - Good or Bad?