C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basket Case Blues

Old 04-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Wardour74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basket Case Blues

Well I recently pulled out the tranny, bell housing, and clutch plates (to replace the clutch).. I got the clutch put back in place yesterday. Today I decided to degrease the bellhousing (it was wearing atleast 5 years of grit and grime, as was the tranny). In removing the grime from the bell housing I noticed a small crack, the chevy guy next door told me it wasnt a big deal, if I was really worried to weld it (it was on the bottom of the bellhousing from the edge in, at about 2" of length). I decided to put it back on there (the engine is coming out in a month,and I wanna get this guy out on the street). Then I found a crack on the front of the T-10 Muncie, (the part that bolts down to the front, and surrounds the spline shaft). had a crack that comes down from the neck about half an inch, and wraps around about 1/4 of the perimiter. I once again consulted the chevy expert, his first inpulse was to replace it, but since its at the very front, nad infront of the seals, he decided it should be alright. Pepboys couldnt help me with the rear seal, they didnt even seem to understand what a T-10 was, and when I said muncie they got very confused. They looked up the car first and couldnt seem to find anything. Time to call Nappa. Anyway, I didnt think I was gonna get that tranny back up and inthere, but it happened finally, I had to get it close enough to get all the bolts through and basically tork it down. She should be rolling next weekend (minus exhaust). Then ill her into the exaust shop (ive been told by people in the area that I really dont have the tools and expertise to install exaust properly in my driveway, so ill let the pros handle it). I found a guy that does boat paint blasting, and is a friend of a guy I know, who said he has media blasted vettes before, and said he'd cut me a nice deal for some computer services =). O well just ranting I guess, I have nothing of any substance to say
Old 04-22-2002, 09:37 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Re: Basket Case Blues (Wardour74)

I was looking at your web page and at the work that you are doing on your car. I noticed the ramps that you are using. I have read that those types of ramps have been known to collapse from the weight of a car sitting on them. Those kind of ramps are not very stable from what I have read. If I was going to get under that car I would want a more stable ramp than what you are using. Just my opinion though. Roger L. Gibbons
Old 04-22-2002, 09:44 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Basket Case Blues (Roger L. Gibbons)

Just for your info a Muncie and a T10 are different transmissions. The Muncie is either a M20 M21 or M22 is the heavy duty M21. The T10 is a Borg Warner transmission. That may have confused them but that is not hard to do. I had a crack in the bellhousing that I had welded and it has held up fine. I have since gone to a blow shield.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:56 AM
Wardour74
Advanced

yeah the tranny issue was explained to me, its an M-22. Isnt the muncie a T-10 Clone? ware the parts interchangable at all?
Old 04-22-2002, 04:24 PM
gerry c
Racer

yeah the tranny issue was explained to me, its an M-22. Isnt the muncie a T-10 Clone? ware the parts interchangable at all?
A few mounting bolts might interchange but that is about it. The Muncie, and the T-10 are completely different animals. Another trans you could run into from the early vette times would be the saginaw four speed that chevy used. The Saginaw was used mainly in SB Camaros and Chevelles as I recall.

As for the bellhousing crack, I would at least drill a 1/16 hole at the end of the crack and probably would get it welded also. The hole should stop the crack from growing.

[Modified by gerry c, 12:27 PM 4/22/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Basket Case Blues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Basket Case Blues