C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering leak...PLEASE help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Power Steering leak...PLEASE help.

I just picked up a 1979 in need of some love. The PS was not working and have replaced one hose and the pump. Now I have a different issue. The hard line from the PS pump to the rack will not tighten down. The fitting will tighten down till I can't tighten it any more but the hard line to the pump is still loose causing a leak. What can I do to pull the hard line in further?

Also the hose I replaced was the soft hose from the nipple of the pump to the rank ( I think its the return) . The old hose was COMPLETELY torn in half draining the system. When the wheels are at full right turn the hose extends to max length just fine. When wheels are left max turn the hose crimps closed. Is this normal? Will the pressure keep the hose from collapse?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM
claa120
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check and see if it is a flare fiting at the rack and see if it is seating properly.
When the system is fixed I would use ps fluid by Lucus it made a difference in mine.

Last edited by claa120; 06-15-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Here are some pics. The wheels are pointed forward and the hose is collapsed. Any shorter and the hose will not be long enough to turn max right....any ideas?

Also this is the hard line issue that is not seating after full tighten down.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?albumid=19234

Last edited by Dean_Fuller; 06-15-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:10 PM
wajulia
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That hose is not the right hose. The original must have had a leak and some bubba made a new hose out of brake line and ATF cooling hoses. It looks kinked and I bet it isn't working right.

The hoses you need can be found at

http://www.zip-corvette.com/GroupDetails/SubGroupResults.aspx?gid={f24b187b-0915-433d-bc7d-59dd02133760}&SearchType=_GROUP_SEARCH&G roupName=Power+Steering+Hoses&

These pictures will at least show you what it should look like.

Good luck
Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Thanks again guys...I think I have figured this out. If you look at the photo of the PS pump in place I noticed the the return tube on the back of the tank is very low and points towards the driver side ...It is suppose to be centered and point downward. This I believe is why the hose is binding when the wheel is turned to the left. I will order a proper tank ASAP. Interesting what this PO did to this poor car...and me.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering leak...PLEASE help.

Quick Reply: Power Steering leak...PLEASE help.