C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to manually turn the motor over?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:58 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Use the remote switch and bar it at the alternator.

Originally Posted by '75
Here's the easiest way I have found for most any engine with an alternator. Use a 15/16" socket and ratchet or breaker bar and put it on the alternator pulley nut, turn it as if tightening the nut(that is normal engine rotation). If the pulley slips in the belt, you can either tighten it temporarily or use your fingers to hold the belt to the pulley on the underside as you turn it. You can either leave the plugs in or take them out, it works very good on engines of all sizes, even the large diesels I usually work on.
Originally Posted by Kevin79
this matbe a little over kill but as a professional mechanic this tiil was used every valve seal job and many other times

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Problem with the starter switch is it moves/turns a bunch of degrees at a time and not the same amount each time. BTW nearly any switch that can handle a few amp can work - i paid less than $20 for my Acutron (or maybe its a KAL).

And baring at the alternator gets old fast.

So what i end of doing is bump it with the switch and then bar it to where i want it. BTW i found the starter purple starter wire (for my '74) up on the firewall at a interlock relay so i just back pin onto the connector and then to ground - pull the coil wire then have a good day of bumping the motor.

Hope this helps and good luck,
cardo0
Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Manual transmission?

Remove the plugs, put it in gear, jack the rear of the car up and rotate the wheel.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 PM
68sbcoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take it off

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
i didnt think you had to take it off?
If left on it will unbalance the motor. Not good.

Simple solution is to unstall a new 1/2 fine thread grade - 8 bolt (what I've done). Tensile strength is 760 pounds, If your motor is so tight that you can twist off 760 pounds and break it, you have yet another problem.

But that little adapter gizmo is cool. It distributes the load over three (smaller) bolts. If they are 3/8", the tensile strength of the three is 1230 pounds.

I like the adapter, and am going to buy one myself.

Quick Reply: How to manually turn the motor over?