C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need a tip on a low profile intake manifold

Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 PM
CHRISP73
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need a tip on a low profile intake manifold

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket intake that is similar to a performer rpm by edelbrock but that will fit under a stock vette hood?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

What gives the RPM its performance is the height that allows better runner design.

Edelebrock will tell you that an RPM will not fit, which is true if you use a stock air cleaner. You can fit an RPM under a stock 73-79 hood using a drop base air cleaner. I like the Moroso Low Profile Racing Air Cleaner but other types have been used. I have been running the 7104 RPM Q-Jet for 4 years now using the Moroso air cleaner.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could always use a standard Edelbrock Performer that make tons of low end torque, but not known for high rpm power. Some use a factory air cleaner assembly from Olds 403 engines that drop down pretty low. Nice thing is you can easily modify these cutting in a couple 4" air hose snouts to pick up cool outside air, rather than open type elements. Much quieter too.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Günther-C3
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The Torker II fits under a BB-Hood with BigBlock.

Günther
Old 06-26-2011, 05:45 AM
RickyBerg
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRISP73
Is anyone aware of an aftermarket intake that is similar to a performer rpm by edelbrock but that will fit under a stock vette hood?
What engine are we talking about?

If we talking BB (as Gunter says) the Edelbrock Torker II will go under the stock BB hood.

But the Torker II is a singleplane manifold and if you (your engine) wants a dualplane the original reproduction LS6 manifold is way to go.

Its a low profile aluminum manifold, runners are quite deep so the oil baffle (shield) under the manifold may interfer with rollerlifters but should work fine with flattappets.

//Ricky.

The PartsPlace sells the LS6 repro manifold.
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/

Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

RickyBerg, two questions.
Is the LS6 not a rectangular port so how would it fit with oval ports?

I looked in the catalog reference you gave, but it came up with nothing. Do you have part number or what search term you used?

thx
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
RickyBerg
Pro

The 3963569 LS6 manifold is a rectangular port (big port) manifold so it wount fit at all if you are running oval port heads.

//Ricky.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

The 3963569 intake is a Rectangle Port Intake and will work fine on oval port heads when used with a rectangle port gasket.
Several people on this Forum have done this,(myself included). This has been discussed here before and the general opinion seemed to be that if your car is not a Drag only car and you are not trying to wring the last thousandth of a second out of it, a rectangle port intake will work fine on oval port heads.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 AM
RickyBerg
Pro

Originally Posted by Big Block 69
The 3963569 intake is a Rectangle Port Intake and will work fine on oval port heads when used with a rectangle port gasket.
Several people on this Forum have done this,(myself included). This has been discussed here before and the general opinion seemed to be that if your car is not a Drag only car and you are not trying to wring the last thousandth of a second out of it, a rectangle port intake will work fine on oval port heads.
I was not aware of that.

//Ricky.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 AM
RickyBerg
Pro

Originally Posted by bigvette1
RickyBerg, two questions.
I looked in the catalog reference you gave, but it came up with nothing. Do you have part number or what search term you used?

thx
Its a tricky site to search..

But if you click on "New Products" and then type in "LS6 Intake" you will find it.

//Ricky.

Get notified of new replies

To I Need a tip on a low profile intake manifold

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Need a tip on a low profile intake manifold