C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not getting power to my wiper motor, yellow wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:44 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default not getting power to my wiper motor, yellow wire

FYI - 1971 Chevy Corvette, 350, automatic (previously 4 speed), PW/PB/PS, no A/C.

I've been working on getting my wipers fixed as they never worked when I got the car. I've watched the Willcox video on how to bench test a 69-72 wiper motor so I believe I understand what's needed connection wise.

My problem is that I have no power on my yellow wire going to the wiper motor and washer pump. I've been looking over my schematics for some time but still fail to see where the yellow wire essentially get's it's +12V from. I've got a +12V on my red main power wire.

Here's a diagram that I embellished with the wires colored in that pertain to the wiper system. There are a few things on the diagram that I'm a bit confused as to what they are (top in red)

Here's a direct link: 71 wire schematic

It may be a bit small, so if you can't see it let me know and I can find some other way to get a bigger sized image somewhere it can be downloaded.

PS - I have 20A fuse in the wiper fuse box and a 10A for the radio. All other fuses have been pulled for now.

Jeff

Last edited by StingrayLust; 06-29-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:22 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Default fuses

The fuses seem fine for both the wiper and radio as I get a +12V on each side of the fuse.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:36 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If you have 12v on the left side of the fuse the next connection is the bulkhead connector behind the fuse box. From the bulkhead it goes directly to the wiper.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Default more info

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
If you have 12v on the left side of the fuse the next connection is the bulkhead connector behind the fuse box. From the bulkhead it goes directly to the wiper.
The full size picture can be found here: 71 wiring diagram

Thanks Roger. I just replaced my engine harness with one from Lectric.

I went out and pulled apart the fuse box front and back to try and make sense of this.

Here's the fuse box with red circles around where I have a yellow wire connected to and fused for the Wipers:

I've verified I have continuity from the back side of the fuse panel here cirlced in red:

to the vacuum solenoid (backside of tachometer):

which also has continuity to the window wiper relay yellow wire.

However, I do not have continuity from the fuse here:

to the backside:

From the looks of things, the yellow wire from the fuse doesn't just go directly to the back of the block, it goes into the wire loom and comes out I don't know where.

So I'm still confused where the yellow wire from the fuse is going.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
I believe there should be 2 wires coming off the back of the fuse ,look to see if 1 of them was not stripped before they crimped both wires in.

One of the yellows should go to the solenoid and the other should go to the bulkhead connector that has no power.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The yellow wire runs from the fuse panel to both the center terminal on the wiper motor and the washer pump.
You should be able to pass continuity with a fuse in place from any of the yellow connection points shown on the picture below. If the fuse is removed, then you should be able to pass from the left of the fuse to 2 or 14

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-29-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Today I stand humbled by my own stupidity, I was bubba.

After staring at the pictures I took and trying to tie it all together, I noticed that I had the fuses down 1 notch from where I wanted them.

I will repeat after myself, the fuses belong to the text that is described *BELOW* the fuse, not above it. After putting the 25A fuse in for the wipers, I had my 12v on the yellow wire.

Now on to my next problem in my next post, a serious knock when I start up the motor that's coming from the washer pump cover.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

We all do it Sting, to error is human. What I do find funny is I looked at those pictures hard last night.. I missed it too!

The noise you are hearing is more than likely the washer pump... is it running the entire time the motor is running? Remove the yellow wire from the pump and see if you hear the same noise.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-30-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:24 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
We all do it Sting, to error is human. What I do find funny is I looked at those pictures hard last night.. I missed it too!

The noise you are hearing is more than likely the washer pump... is it running the entire time the motor is running? Remove the yellow wire from the pump and see if you hear the same noise.
You can hear a video of it in my other post: wiper-motor-washer-pump-making-loud-pop-when-first-starting.html.

The white, 4 sided plastic **** on the backside that connects to the wiper motor gear is pretty hard to turn off from that side. The actual metal post that the plastic piece spins on had been ever so slightly tilted over the years because initially getting it to turn off that one side is so difficult.

To me it just doesn't feel or sound right, but I have no experience in this area to what any other C3 vette sounds like when turning on the wipers.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
What I do find funny is I looked at those pictures hard last night.. I missed it too!
I saw it , I was waiting to see how long before you guys figured it out.

Get notified of new replies

To not getting power to my wiper motor, yellow wire

Quick Reply: not getting power to my wiper motor, yellow wire