C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Vette idling troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Matt W
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Vette idling troubles

Hi, I just recently bought a Corvette and the test drive at the dealer was great. Half an hour later by the time we got home it was dying when we let off the gas. I've put distributor cap, plugs and wires and it started up and ran strong but then did the same thing after some time. Any suggestions on what to try next? I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Why didnt you go right back to the dealer? Anyway, did you do a fuel pressure test?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Matt W
Hi, I just recently bought a Corvette and the test drive at the dealer was great. Half an hour later by the time we got home it was dying when we let off the gas. I've put distributor cap, plugs and wires and it started up and ran strong but then did the same thing after some time. Any suggestions on what to try next? I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
It could be any number of things. I need to know exactly what its doing. I know you say dying when you let off the gas but what happens when you give it gas? Is it sluggish? Does it fell like its bogging down? Or does it run perfect on acceleration?

My guess is its either the fuel pump or the hose in the tank from the pump.

Fill the tank to the top. See if the problem stops or gets less. If it stops the hose in the tank has deteriorated and the gas is leaking out back into the tank. This type of check is hit and miss, its not 100%.

Jim
Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your fuel filter, check fuel pressure. After that check the TPS on the drivers side TB, it should be set to .525 v with the throttle closed. Also check the CTS on the front of the engine. If that is not operating correctly the computer will not go into closed loop operation. These are good places to start. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Matt W
3rd Gear

Have not checked the fuel pressure but that makes sense. Whenever I hit gas it's sluggish and bogs down like it's not getting enough fuel or maybe too much. Changed fuel filter tonight and same thing. Let me check those sensors and hose and I'll get back with you. Thanks a million
Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Matt W
Have not checked the fuel pressure but that makes sense. Whenever I hit gas it's sluggish and bogs down like it's not getting enough fuel or maybe too much. Changed fuel filter tonight and same thing. Let me check those sensors and hose and I'll get back with you. Thanks a million
It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Its very common.

Don't mess with the sensors or throttle bodies. You will end up in a place of no return. Address the fuel issue for now. I think you will be fine. Bad sensors would have thrown a code...not always but eventually.

There is an off chance its a fuse. Not likely. With the air cleaner off you should see both injectors spraying a cone shaped pattern. If you are going to pull the cleaner watch for the one vaccum hose to the air cleaner door. Unplug it from underneath the air cleaner on the driver side. Then cap it off so you don't have a vaccum leak.

Here is how you know the fuel pump is working right. When you turn the key to on you should hear about a 2 second buzz from the tank followed by a strange noise from the injectors. The noise from the injectors is the prime pulse. If you don't here both on the first star of the day the pump or hose in the tank is bad.

Jim
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Don't mess with the sensors or throttle bodies. You will end up in a place of no return. Address the fuel issue for now. I think you will be fine. Bad sensors would have thrown a code...not always but eventually.

Jim
But it would be a good idea to check to see if anyone else has messed with them. Especially the balance. Look for the welded cap on the linkage to see if it has been removed and adjusted. If so all bets are off as to whether it will ever run right again without correctly re adjusting.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

All this "guesswork" and the guy just bought the car? You should have immediately called the dealer and asked if he could check it out. If you are now beyond the "three day from sale" period, he probably won't give you the time of day. If it was a private sale, the PO would give you past info on engine problems, I'm sure.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
All this "guesswork" and the guy just bought the car? You should have immediately called the dealer and asked if he could check it out. If you are now beyond the "three day from sale" period, he probably won't give you the time of day. If it was a private sale, the PO would give you past info on engine problems, I'm sure.
The man has a point here. Was the car purchased from a dealer? If so, returning it to them to fix the problem at the onset would have been a wise move...
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 PM
rdroe
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DC Area Events Coordinator

I have purchased vintage cars from *dealers* before. The warranty ended when I crossed their driveway. Try it, but also get familiar with the techniques described above. I have just balanced out my 82 and it works really well. Just be methodical and go through all the sensors and systems. It's really a science.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Crossfire intakes are pretty well known for sucking the gasket out from under the top too. Makes a great vacuum leak.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Matt W
3rd Gear

Well I changed the MAP sensor and it took the check engine light off. still sluggish. Ends up being bad connection to right side injector. runs like a dream. Thank you all for the tips.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Awesome Glad you got it resolved

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Vette idling troubles

Quick Reply: 82 Vette idling troubles