C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specs on Long block 327 any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Rmeeks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specs on Long block 327 any good?

New Manley valves
- New Elgin valve springs and keepers
- New Badger pistons
- New Hastings molly rings
- New Dynagear timing gears and Durabond cam bearings
- New Dynagear timing gears and chain
- New Elgin lifters, push rods, rockers, ***** and nuts
- New Dynagear oil pump
- New FelPro gaskets
- Cylinder heads are pressure checked
- Diamond honed valve guides
- Three angle cut valve seats
- All head surfaces are broached
- Blocks are bored with deck plates, cylinder walls are diamond honed
- Crankshafts are ground and polished for .002 clearance
- Camshafts are ground to O.E.M. specifications, hardened and polished
- Connecting rods are sized to .002 clearance

Any thoughts on this setup? From this company
http://http://www.rebuilt-auto-engin...49111203586.df
Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

There is no specs on what heads are on this motor. If the price is good it sounds like a decent build. I believe the parts are low end, but havent been working in the field for the last 20 years. So its possible that companies like badger have improved to higher levels. If your set on buying this combo make sure bore is no more than 0.03" over. It could be a good base stock replacement motor.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Rmeeks
Advanced

Originally Posted by Timsride
There is no specs on what heads are on this motor. If the price is good it sounds like a decent build. I believe the parts are low end, but havent been working in the field for the last 20 years. So its possible that companies like badger have improved to higher levels. If your set on buying this combo make sure bore is no more than 0.03" over. It could be a good base stock replacement motor.

I will ask them what heads are installed. I am not set on buying this motor but I will be buying one from somewhere. any suggestions are appreciated

Rob
Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

What are your goals with this motor? Are you looking to replace the stock motor with an identical type setup? Or are you looking to increase performance and still have driveability? I would look into a local machine shop and see what they can offer you. You can get a motor tailored to your needs rather than a generic rebuild that is built for the masses without fully knowing whats inside.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Rmeeks
Advanced

Originally Posted by Timsride
What are your goals with this motor? Are you looking to replace the stock motor with an identical type setup? Or are you looking to increase performance and still have driveability? I would look into a local machine shop and see what they can offer you. You can get a motor tailored to your needs rather than a generic rebuild that is built for the masses without fully knowing whats inside.
I am looking at many different places this just happends to be one I am looking at.
I want to replace the stock motor(not original anyway) with something that is drivable but has resonable street power. I had a Factory Five Cobra with about 275-300 HP and weighed about 2200 pounds so by my estimates I want about 350-375 in a vette that is about 3100 pounds.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The link isn't working here. Since you're looking for opinions, and going to swap the whole thing out, I'd go more cubic inches. Maybe 383.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Your going to be hard press to get those numbers out of that set up. You will need 11 to 1,a really good set of heads, and larger cam. I build my 327 to spin, but HP is another challenge.

Get notified of new replies

To Specs on Long block 327 any good?

Quick Reply: Specs on Long block 327 any good?