C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 high beam switch and then some...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
retaf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 79 high beam switch and then some...

1. I ordered the dimmer switch and assumed that's why it won't switch to hi beams. So I see switch is in steering column under turn signal switch. I don't believe I need a new turn signal switch but....do I have to cut the wires to the turn signal switch to get to the dimmer switch? I don't even want to do that! At 63 it's not fun laying under the dash anymore.

2. my turn signal wasn't cancelling so I got a new self cancelling cam but looking at old one I pulled out it appears to be ok. Any other ideas why they don't cancel?

3. What's the purpose of the vacuum override switch under the dash/steering column? Willcox repair paper states "The vacuum override switch has only one function. This is to block the vacuum from passing through when pulled. So why would one want to block vacuum??

thank you all for your help and hope I can return the favor to others as I learn this car....

Last edited by retaf; 07-14-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: elaborate on a question
Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

the vacumn override switch under the dash, when pulled down, keeps the headlights raised when you turn the headlight switch off, so you can clean them, change the bulb, or whatever you may need to do.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:38 PM
retaf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
the vacumn override switch under the dash, when pulled down, keeps the headlights raised when you turn the headlight switch off, so you can clean them, change the bulb, or whatever you may need to do.
OK, that makes sense! thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 high beam switch and then some...

Quick Reply: 79 high beam switch and then some...