C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which shock absorber??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, good thread.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

On my '73 I just replaced KYB Gas-A-Just shocks with some new Bilstein HDs.

I was shocked at the ride quality difference. The Bilstein HDs are impressive. I was afraid the HDs wouldn't handle as well and I would regret not buying the Sport version but I can't really tell much difference in handling. My back can sure tell the difference. A couple of weeks later I replaced the 7 leaf spring with a new VBP composite spring and that make a difference as well. I think the HDs made more of a difference.

DC
Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennT73
JB thank you for the vast knowledge and the humor. So, how do you know?
I have had the KYB's, Delcos, Koni Oils, Bilstein HD's and Sports over the last 28 years, looking for the right shock for my ride! I have spent too much money on shocks over the years but finally have the right combo of Bilstein HD's in front and Bilstein sports in the rear with the 360 composite spring. I had the KYB's with the steel and composite spring, Delcos with the the steel only, Koni's with the steel, and Bilsteins with the composite only!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I just replaced the 4 shocks on my 68. Used AC/Delco. They were reasonable and improved the ride substantially.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DC3
On my '73 I just replaced KYB Gas-A-Just shocks with some new Bilstein HDs.

I was shocked at the ride quality difference. The Bilstein HDs are impressive. I was afraid the HDs wouldn't handle as well and I would regret not buying the Sport version but I can't really tell much difference in handling. My back can sure tell the difference. A couple of weeks later I replaced the 7 leaf spring with a new VBP composite spring and that make a difference as well. I think the HDs made more of a difference.

DC
Just to clarify, shocks are for damping and controlling the speed of weight transfers. Their affect on handling is due to however long they delay transitions into and out of each phase of cornering, which is why adjustables are so exceedingly valuable in racing. That said, generally the more spring the more shock necessary, but they can't make up for a bad spring/bar setup.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 07-19-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by forcerecon38
I just put a set on there the best shocks iv ever put on !!!
by far and i have tryed all the rest before 350 $ for four .
they do what they claim with the inertia dampening system !
it litterally was like puting a new performance package in the car i have since put in a new monoglass rear spring and flowmaster afterburner mufflers my 81 is like a new car more power better handleing and sounds way better !!! now if my damn headlights would go down i cant find the vacume leak !!!
They may be good on a vette but they suck on a Z71 GMC. They got me sea sick with all the floating and 3 leaked with in 3 years of mild use.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Big fan of Bilstein HD. Used them on more than one vehicle with excellent results. My '80 really handles significantly better and rides great, considering the poly bushings and gymkhana package. It's a lot more fun to drive on the curvy mountain roads now.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by rod7515
JB, I am also considering shocks for the front of my 72, You seem to have experience with many different brands. My question would be 1- which shocks absorb more 2- which shock will give the better ride 3-which ones handle the best for cornering. It sounds as though you will say the Bilsteins. If so then I have the following questions:
4-is the Bilstein a gas shock? 5- Do you recommend the sport or the HD. 6 What is different in the way they are built that makes them that much better.
The reason I am only looking into front shocks Is that I hope to go to a coil over rear suspension this fall.
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Thanks Rodney
Rodney, which shock is best for you depends on your suspension setup and what you are looking for. Please remember that my experience with all of the shocks I mentioned above was based on thea rear spring I had at the time (see my answers above)Answers are as follows:

1. The best all around shock for ride and suspension control is the bilstein HD, not the sports, on my car.

2. Bilstein HD for the best ride giving up some control, the KYB Gas A Just with a steel rear spring also rides real nice. I found the GR-2's on on my other car (grand prix) way too soft so did not even consider for the vette. GR-2's are a standard passenger car shock designed for a comfortable ride and are NOT a performance shock by any standard-Like most things in life you get what you pay for-A GR-2 shock for a C3 is $25-you will get a $25 dollar shock, nothing less nothing more!! I have 6 Bilstein HD's on my 1994 Mustang Gt Convertible and they simply transformed the ride and handling characteristic of the car versus the OEM ford shock/Struts!

3. The Bilstein sports (30% stiffer than the HD's) give the best handling with a slight degradation in ride (I have a 360 monospring with these shocks though and the stiffer the spring the more rebound control needed. I found too much bounce with the Bilstein HD's versus the sports with the composite rear spring.

4. Bilsteins are a gas shock.

5. Sports for the best suspension control, HD's for the best ride-again my experience is with a 360 monospring.

6. Don't know the answer but the Sports are 30% stiffer than the HD's and I could feel the difference with the 360 monospring, thus the change and the one's in the rear of the car presently.

hope that helps!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 07-19-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had my rear suspension rebuilt. was talking to the guy who owned the shop, and told him I was thinking about putting on new shocks later this year. I asked him if thought Bilsteins were worth the extra money, and he said "No, go with KYB's.".

So, that is my plan, I'm putting on new KYB's later this year.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These are the shocks I plan on using, they offer a combination of quality, price, and performance.

For the rear - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-343218/
For the front - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-343127/
Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 AM
UK Jerry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just about to replace my shocks on my 77, can any of the above mentioned shocks still be used if I decide to lower my car at a later date?

Jerry
Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by UK Jerry
I am just about to replace my shocks on my 77, can any of the above mentioned shocks still be used if I decide to lower my car at a later date?

Jerry
Depends on how low you go. If you don't go any lower than Chevy Power book recommendations (highly suggest getting as near those as practical for handling) you should be fine with most shocks AFAIK. If you are lowering for performance I wouldn't throw just any old shock at it tho. Shocks that don't live up to expectations or your chassis' potential don't provide any value IMCO.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM
forcerecon38
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys ! i just put in the monospring and a new swaybar its makeing a crunching sound in the new bushings ??? will they eventually stop the anoying sound or should i put some kind of lube on them as i belive there a molly composit any suggestions ! and i cant say enough about how much better the car handles with the new monospring ,swaybar,and the I.A.S. Performer shocks these are by far the best shocks i have ever used on anything and i have had 4 vettes and wish i had them on all of them 1

Quick Reply: Which shock absorber??