C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pedal linkage !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
502Stingray
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Pedal linkage !!!!!

I was recently noticing and wondering why my "502" felt like a small block.
It just felt as if power just wasn't there. I thought that something on my tuning was off; maybe my timing was off or my jetting was off or my fuel flow was restricted or I had a vac leak or my MSD was losing power or maybe I had a grounding issue or something.
All I knew was that I was now suddenly running like a 12.017, 12.010 @ 114mph and such with still the same 1.50's 60' times. I used to run consistent 11.8's or the occasional 11.7s @ 125mph with 1.50's.

I couldn't figure it out for the life of me what was causing my slow down, until I came across this post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...kage-pics.html

Turns out after a bit of testing, my throttle only opened to about 80%. Okay, I thought, lets tighten up the cable a little bit. Still no full throttle, I got at best 85% throttle now.
I go inside and remove my pedal to find that the top of it where the "O" is was bent back. Additionally the whole linkage was slightly bent. I bent it back to factory and I will now get about 95% throttle.
Still not 100%. The stock assembly is a little bit weak and soft and I'm sure that over the years the metal has become soft.
So I ordered a Lokar Pedal from Summit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-BAG6004/?rtype=10 along with a new stainless throttle cable and all my problems are solved. I easily have 100% throttle now, my pedal does not feel mushy anymore and it actually feels better than stock.

I just posted all this because I think some C3 owners may have the same issue as me and I just wanted to share what I found out. Go under your hood and have your wife/gf/girl toy push all the way down on the gas pedal and check to see if you really are getting full throttle!
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read about this issue with bent linkages before. I think it is not that uncommon on the ol' C3.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Doug 61
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same problem on mine a while back. Felt like a new car after I bent the linkage back.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Could you show some pictures of how you mounted it please?
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

This is a very common problem. And, it is one that is caused by common practices and faulty logic. Most car owners manually exercise the throttle linkage at the carburetor to see how things are working. Unfortunately, that bypasses the real culprits of the accelerator pedal, the pedal linkage, the throttle cable and the cable attachment from the equation. It seems obvious when you think about it. Unfortunately, most car owners DON'T think about it. They simply assume that it all works as it is supposed to.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Pedal linkage !!!!!

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal linkage !!!!!