C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove locking lug nut?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
How much force do you think you're applying to the hub when you hammer the socket on?

Where do you think the force is being applied?

Do you check the rotor surface before and after with a dial indicator?
You seem to be the self proclaimed expert. Tell us brother.
What kind of hammer are you picturing?? 10# sledge?
Seriously, you tap the socket over the locked nut and remove same as any other lug nut. No damage done. Unless you've got facts to prove otherwise? 200+#???? Really???

Anything I can say to respond to this would be a violation of the forum rules.

Did you even read my post? Do you know the difference between "impact load" and torque?
If you cannot respond within forum rules, maybe you should stay out of the subject??? Besides, that question was not directed at you. Was it? Just saying.

Yes I read your post. What do you think I was responding to???
Yes I know the difference between the two. Neither matters here. No body is using that kind of force.

A small ball peen hammer and a socket is all you need. A couple light taps and the nut comes right off. No body is trying to drive the nut through the rim.

Last edited by blckslvr79; 08-01-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
While getting a bit off topic, kinda freaky thing happened. Been using a set of McGards for years transfered to 3 seperate cars. Bought another new set for a different car. I'll be damned, if it wasn't the exact same pattern, using the same lug key. I always buy an extra key, and hang it with a copy of the number card on the basement wall.
This is exactly why the use of lug nut locks only prevents theft by honest thieves. Back in my younger days, I worked in a parts store that sold these. There where only like 12 or so different patterns. A thief could buy each of the patterns for their own tool box or even easier, tap the right size socket over them and remove them.

Waste of money IMO.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H
If its only 1 the tighten the other 4 real tight then grab the locking one with vice grips and turn it off.

I've used this method many times with 100% success.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
Besides, that question was not directed at you. Was it?
I'd mentioned hub damage and you'd ask him if there was hub damage. It's not exactly a stretch to see where the comment was directed.

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
This is exactly why the use of lug nut locks only prevents theft by honest thieves. Back in my younger days, I worked in a parts store that sold these. There where only like 12 or so different patterns. A thief could buy each of the patterns for their own tool box or even easier, tap the right size socket over them and remove them.

Waste of money IMO.

I agree with you 100% on this. I do not want thieves hammering on my wheels to get them off, let them go.

The only change I'd make to your statement is to call them "lazy" thieves rather than "honest" ones. All about opportunity cost. Luckily, we've picked cars where wheel theft is somewhat less; not like the bulk of us are putting chrome spinner wheels on SUVs or whatever the current in thing is for teenagers and econo-cars.

P.S., Very good point on the number of key designs being limited.

Last edited by Shark Racer; 08-01-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

I'd mentioned hub damage and you'd ask him if there was hub damage. It's not exactly a stretch to see where the comment was directed.

I agree with you 100% on this. I do not want thieves hammering on my wheels to get them off, let them go.

The only change I'd make to your statement is to call them "lazy" thieves rather than "honest" ones. All about opportunity cost. Luckily, we've picked cars where wheel theft is somewhat less; not like the bulk of us are putting chrome spinner wheels on SUVs or whatever the current in thing is for teenagers and econo-cars.

P.S., Very good point on the number of key designs being limited.
I'm glad we've come to common ground.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I remove locking lug nut?