C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L88 hood suggestions...Got the approval from the boss!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default L88 hood suggestions...Got the approval from the boss!

I'm interested to see l88 hoods on 1980's, but I suppose it really isn't year specific as long as the hood is a long version. I have seen 4 inch high rise versions,...and I'm tempted,..but would first like to see pictures of various l88 hoods from the driver's view. Trying to get an idea how much bump I would have in my line of sight.

If you know the vender, and part number,..that would be a plus. I'm headed to Carlise to get a first hand look, but would like a little upfront knowledge to talk to the various venders I might see there.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:07 PM
TheycallmeDave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my (short) L88 hood for my 1970 from Ecklers but the first one they sent me was very rough looking and i sent it back ; the second one was ok. I also got the fresh air plenum for the hood so it takes in 100% outside air and does make a difference in cold weather. I love the look of the Hood from the inside and outside ...it doesnt restrict my view at all from the cab . I dont think mine is a 4" opening , probably more like 2.5-3" . If you PM me and give me your email address, I can take a short video of it from the cab as well as outside if you like. (I dont know how to upload a video to CF) .
Old 08-01-2011, 05:07 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked a similar question over in the General section.

So far the Eckler's high rise has my attention...
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This is an Eckler L88 hood, will see if i can find better pics.

Hood has lots of room for gauges.
The notch on the right side is for clearance of my wipers. This is a driver, even in winter and have extra big wipers on it.

Last edited by Mod75; 08-01-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

VANACORS..... any of their hoods are great quality and likely cheaper then anyone elses....

I just installed a 4" L88 hood a few weeks ago and it fit really well... Very nice quality, very sturdy and lighter then stock....
Old 08-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto on the Vanacor products
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajrothm
VANACORS..... any of their hoods are great quality and likely cheaper then anyone elses....

I just installed a 4" L88 hood a few weeks ago and it fit really well... Very nice quality, very sturdy and lighter then stock....
ajrothm,

Could you snap a pic or two of the 4 inch Vanacor L88 hood for me?
I have emailed Vanacor, Eckler, and FiberConcepts, and for some reason,...no replies. So I'm asking you guys for some help. Once I know what works, I'll bang on the door a little louder.......

Mod75,

How much headroom over the carb do you have, and if I run "normal windshield wipers", would I need to trim the hood?

This is the current carb/air cleaner setup I have, and with the stock hood I have about 1/4" clearance over the air cleaner. I would like to put back on my 1/2" phenolic carb spacer, and at least a 3 inch filter element.....

Last edited by The Money Pit; 08-02-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I believe any of the L88 hoods will have enough clearance for the wipers, so no mods would be necessary. I just have some huge wiper blades on at the time a they hit the corner so i just trimmed it.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
stingr4y
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a long L-88 on a 76 for a while.

It did encroach a little on the view, but without the plenum, it was pretty cool watching the engine shake around in there. no wiper probs on mine.

I'm also happy with my current Vanocors short hood.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
ajrothm,
From my thread...

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I know you said no L88 hoods but.... I thought I would throw out a pic of a 4" L88 so you can see how much room you gain...

You can see the height the best from the rear opening of the scoop

I can stuff this under it...

Wiper door and everything clears fine, Hood is the high rise L88 from Vanacores, great quality!...
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

This is a shot of my stock hood, and the veiw I'd like to see if anyone has L88 hoods that would be willing to take a quick picture.

I'm on the fence weather to go with Eckler's standard L88 long hood, or Vanocor's 4 inch high rise version. Not sure if anyone else makes these,...the tech support responses are seriously lacking.

I've tried the search on this site for old posts,...there's some info, but not a lot.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...long-hood.html
Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Cherrybomb,

Is that Vanacor's 4 inch high rise hood? I like it,....I like it a lot!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:41 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Cherrybomb,

Is that Vanacor's 4 inch high rise hood? I like it,....I like it a lot!
Yes, it is thier standard long L88 hood. The hi-rise they offer, though nice, was too high for my taste
Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here's mine. It an ecklers hood.

I was going to buy a vanacor L88 hood but after I recieved my patch panels from them I was not impressed at all. They were so thin it didnt take much to sand through. Some of you guys know how much fun laying fiberglass and sanding inside fenders are! Others have had good experiences with them though. The ecklers glass products I have bought were much thicker than vanacors.

Nothing can top the cheap ebay one bought that the skin separated from the hood frame. My experience is generally you pay for what you get.

Good luck!

Inside shot before car was painted:

Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cherrybombc3
Yes, it is thier standard long L88 hood. The hi-rise they offer, though nice, was too high for my taste
Looks great. Yes, sometimes it seems there is never enough room, the line has to be drawn some place.

Mark
If you need Eckler's height measurement info. incl. how to measure, I can post it.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Ecklers tech support emailed me the link to the same pdf they have on their site that shows blocks of wood on the fender lip and gives general height over the carb. I don't think any of the L88 hoods will be a clearance issue for me, as my stock hood clears now.

What I'm trying to get is an idea of the hump I'll be looking over from the drivers perspective. bluegtp and Mod75 posted such views. Anyone running the Vanacor 4 inch version? I first thought cherrybomb's was their high rise version, and it really looks like what I've got in mind, but from what he says,...it's the regular height hood. I don't want to have to sit on a pillow to see over the hump,...but if I see that a high rise version isn't too high,....it would open up more options for tweaking the engine somewhere down the line.

I got the 406 back together last weekend,...not in the car yet, but hopefully before too long.

Get notified of new replies

To L88 hood suggestions...Got the approval from the boss!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a look here (at 3:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wh4QSJqNkA

But this Hood is nearly 40 years old (but not original i guess)
must be a 2" hood.
4" are not really beauty....
Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yeah don't have any problem at all seeing out the windshield. I am 6'-2" though. I usually forget it's there. I've seen some c3's with huge scoops on them and wonder how the heck they see out of the car.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM
cherrybombc3
Burning Brakes

Ecklers tech support emailed me the link to the same pdf they have on their site that shows blocks of wood on the fender lip and gives general height over the carb. I don't think any of the L88 hoods will be a clearance issue for me, as my stock hood clears now.

What I'm trying to get is an idea of the hump I'll be looking over from the drivers perspective. bluegtp and Mod75 posted such views. Anyone running the Vanacor 4 inch version? I first thought cherrybomb's was their high rise version, and it really looks like what I've got in mind, but from what he says,...it's the regular height hood. I don't want to have to sit on a pillow to see over the hump,...but if I see that a high rise version isn't too high,....it would open up more options for tweaking the engine somewhere down the line.

I got the 406 back together last weekend,...not in the car yet, but hopefully before too long.
I will post you some additional pics soon, some from the drivers seat, some from side "street level" & some under hood (back side) I too am taller than most @ 6'4" but honestly it's not all that high where even my kids (18, 19 & 26 yrs) can see over it fine.

Quick Reply: L88 hood suggestions...Got the approval from the boss!