Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
beernut

Default Coolant leak, new thermostat house gasket

Alrighty folks, another noob question for the masses

My 81 at some point had a bad leak from the thermostat housing and it was corroded pretty bad. I took the thermostat house off, cleaned it off real good and painted it with a cast iron refurbishing paint. Checked the house and all looked good afterwards.

Anyways, I installed the thermostat house with a new gasket this evening and tightened the bolts "a fair bit"(no torque wrench used.) Everything looked fine until the car heated up and I noticed a tiny bit of coolant coming out between the gasket and house.

What's really strange though is that I saw coolant beaded up on the house itself...note that this was after a short drive so it might have gotten there because of vibration - I would find if very strange if it bled through the house itself.

So, to the question - is there any danger involved in further tightening the bolts (how much load should I put on them?) Also, do you guys recommend using a sealant in addition to the gasket?

tl;dr: Small leak from newly installed thermostat house. How much torque should be applied to bolts? Should sealant be used?

Picture of the leak here (caked coolant is from old leak, still not cleaned up properly): Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers and thanks!

Last edited by beernut; 08-02-2011 at 07:07 PM.
beernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
Peterbuilt
CF Senior Member

Default Cheers to you to!

Yes you need sealant on both sides of the new gasket.
A "Fair bit" of tightening should be good, correct torque for those bolts is 22 -32 Ft-lbs (30-44 Nm).
Peterbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
beernut

Great, thanks for the info
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Sigforty
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sigforty Send a message via MSN to Sigforty Send a message via Yahoo to Sigforty

What gasket did you use? I suggest going with one of the Fel-pro gaskets with the build in silicon ring. I think they are under the Printoseal line.
Sigforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
beernut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigforty View Post
What gasket did you use? I suggest going with one of the Fel-pro gaskets with the build in silicon ring. I think they are under the Printoseal line.
Unfortunately the supply here in town is very limited so I had to go for a stock replacement gasket...not sure what material it was made from but felt sort of like paper. Definitely no silicone ring in it.

Either way, I'll get some sealant today and see if that'll take care of it - thanks for the tip though, I'm sure it won't be the last gasket I replace
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Sigforty
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sigforty Send a message via MSN to Sigforty Send a message via Yahoo to Sigforty

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernut View Post
Unfortunately the supply here in town is very limited so I had to go for a stock replacement gasket...not sure what material it was made from but felt sort of like paper. Definitely no silicone ring in it.

Either way, I'll get some sealant today and see if that'll take care of it - thanks for the tip though, I'm sure it won't be the last gasket I replace
Here is the FEL-PRO Part # 35562T, for what I use.
Sigforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #7
beernut

Great, thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
gingerbreadman1977
CF Senior Member

Send a message via MSN to gingerbreadman1977

use this stuff called permatex under the housing on both sides of your gasket and ill bet you never have a leak again . Doesnt hurt to paste some on your threads either when you screw your bolts in either. Its what i use on water pump bolts on the threads that go right through to the water jacket.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 08-04-2011 at 06:44 AM.
gingerbreadman1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
LancePearson
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm trying to remember what I did wrong one of the times I put a different temp thermo and gasket. had to put tstat in first into recessed spot for tstat, seat it, then put gasket on.

no sealant..works great. must put tstat in first!
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
beernut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
I'm trying to remember what I did wrong one of the times I put a different temp thermo and gasket. had to put tstat in first into recessed spot for tstat, seat it, then put gasket on.

no sealant..works great. must put tstat in first!
Thats actually what I did, but I probably didn't tighten the bolts enough...going to work on it tonight tho so I'll let you know
Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Coolant leak, new thermostat house gasket