C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Professional Products, Pro Comp and plain old copies...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I want vic to drive the finest of mercedes, couple of rolls royce, 10 homes. Or if he does not have atleast this much now improve to this level or higher.

I bet the taxation and wages are redicules in california. Why he does not simply leave california and manufacture in another state is beyond me.

Id like to see the amount he pays in taxes in california with four business locations in Cal. His Cal. labor cost compaired to a chinese worker.

Lets see if he were in texas both vic and his employes would have no state income tax to pay. California has a state capital gains tax texas does not have along with the normal federal capital gains to pay. His wages again in california have to be high compaired to a lot of other states. I think he should pack up move out of california like business have been doing for yrs to other states or other countries. No one wants to pay for american labor costs in his parts. What he should do is go to china set up shop i'm sure he could make more overall profit that way.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 08-14-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:38 AM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H
That would be hard to do, I work for the city I live in!
As for the "buy Vics stuff because he did the research", ho hum!
Lets take time and break this down.
Japan makes it
The intake is ordered by an 1"America company" and 2"shipped" over here and unloaded by Americans. 3 trucked to a warehouse. 4 distributed to a parts store. 5 Sells rep sells it over the phone. 6 UPs delivers it.
Thats 6 Americans to 1 Japanese involved in the intake, not to mention gas and paper products used to box, ship, fuel, and handling.
That cheaper intake put several Americans to work that day I ordered it verses deciding not buying an Edelbrock because its grossly over priced due to name brand loyalty.
I will not buy a new Edelbrock anything.
I will pickup a used Edelbrock intake clean it up and sell for a nice profit from brand loyalty.
First of all, Japan isnt involved here. China is.
Second, if you compare the non-polished versions of those same intakes you mentioned, the price is almost identical.
When there is no more Edelbrock you wont buy the Chinese version either.
ProComp only has it to sale because they copied it from an Edelbrock original.
Once the American performace parts innovators are gone, so are your options.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBRA
I'll buy the Edelbrock. I'll pay the extra $

Just remember, the next job shipped to China may be yours.

If more Mfg jobs go to China we will not have tax payers to pay taxes to keep city employees or their benefits.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, I really didnt mean this thread to start in to a pissing match. I know we all have our views about quality issues.

I guess, I really would like the edelbrock intake but for me cost is the problem.
If someone would have it delivered to their house then drop it of at the post office to ship to me, thats the way I would go.

I posted a wanted ad on the forum, had a couple of offers then both people pulled out.
Found a couple of items on craigslist but sellers didnt want to know an international bidder.
Even asked in the regional sections for some help.

Happy to help out Americans by buying American if someone is happy to help me out. More than happy to pay gas money to the post office and buy you a beer for filling out the customs form ( name, address, conyents etc )
Old 08-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
First of all, Japan isnt involved here. China is.
Second, if you compare the non-polished versions of those same intakes you mentioned, the price is almost identical.
$36 difference.
And I want the polished version.
My old 77 ran pretty good with the cheap Chinese version and the money saved bought me all kinds of other goodies!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 PM
arneoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually own, have used and have installed EDELBROCK, PROCOMP and PROFESSIONAL PRODUCT intake manifolds in the engines I have built. The two last brands are more and less identical, but the box it is transported in is different. From what I have experienced, the quality of the EDELBROCK is NOT superior to the other brands and costs much more. They are all cheap mass produced items and are absolutely no expensive racing parts, regardless if they are made in China or in the USA. All three brands can offer more than identical product lines for most applications and performance.
Here is an EDELBROCK 27164 (Summit sells for $255.95), which I use in a 385CI SBC:

This is a EPS Vortec with 8 bolts installation:

Two runners on one side had some very bad moulds and had to be port matched to fit. The fix doesn’t take much time, however this is what you have to accept when you buy such mass produced parts regardless of origin.

Arne

Last edited by arneoe; 08-16-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
jimdavis
Instructor

Default Manifold issues

Let's clear the air on a few things. The Edelbrock Performer manifold is a direct copy of a G.M. factory high performance manifold offered back in the '60's. I think it might have been a Z-28 manifold. Anyway, I have one of them and have compared it point to point to an Edelbrock and they are almost identical.

Then Professional Products started producing a version of this manifold called the Cyclone. Did they copy the G.M. manifold like Edelbrock or did they copy the Edelbrock? Who knows. Then after Professional Products invested a significant amount of money in tooling and also in educating the Chinese factory on how to make manifolds, even sending a polishing expert there for a month to teach them how to polish manifolds, the factory got greedy and started selling the manifolds to ProComp. Who never invested one dime in tooling or anything else. They just ripped off Professional Products. Don't try to ask anybody at ProComp any kind of tech question however.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The gm stuff isnt a direct port match either

Get yourself an Edelbrock i will pay more all day long to keep money in America where it belongs. KNow a few that swear their Chinese pieces are the best they wouldnt know a good part from a bad one all they know is they bought it and its cheap

Even the new "good brand" ir weiand for example is alloverseas now. They weight next to notihing as theres hardly any metal in them.

Id hate to put one on only to find the dist. pad wasnt the right height/straight or some stupid thing like that. Summit does have good return policy I wlll say just returned wheels and tires that were bad they sent a call tag out so shipping cost me notihign are even reimbursing me mount/balace charges I had. Cant complain.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 828 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
No way to I put inferior chinese parts on my car just to save 20%! A new 2116 is what $175.00 from Summit?! You get what you pay for! To me $30 is worth it!
It was over $100 difference between let's say an edelbrock or dart branded intake vs the pro comp polished intake I bought... car craft and hot rod use these intakes all the time in budget builds as they found they perform just as well.... I'd rather buy a Chinese product knowing its a Chinese product that pay twice as much for big name brand stuff which is the same Chinese products rebranded half the time... (examples are Timken,auto lite frame Xerox Levis magnavox Phillips craftsman general motors and the list goes on)
I know that's not the case with most of edelbrock products Except things like the Weber/carter /edelbrok knock off carbs where they even still have the Weber markings on them (if those aren't knockoffs being branded as edelbrock I don't know what is).
I have a performer on there now that's coming off for the polished intake...to go with my elebrock/ carter/Weber? Carb. figure I already have an eagle crank which is a Chinese product (almost all including the new GM ones are) and many here have no issues with crate engines that are riddled with Mexican and Chinese components....
As far as knockoffs... I was guilty of that the moment I mixed tyco blocks with my legos when I was 5 and repeated the crime when I bought the store brand products at the grocery store.... look at the aftermarket heads and blocks... they are all knock offs.. I lot of people need to get off their horses... the word economy has changed.... I used to hear it from my buddy who works at GM all the time, till I informed him that his daily driver he bought he bought with his company discount (Chevy aveo) was actually a Korean made deawoo... marketing has become a tool to sell products almost all the big companies have changed and sold out to global marketing and manufacturing at one level or another...eventually that will be a good thing. Right now we reap what we let the politicians and unions sow.
Without competition you could bet edelbrock would charge $500 for that $300 intake. We could be saving you edelbrock guys a bundle...
What about all the Holley knockoff carbs out there?
Most of us are on a budget and have been forced to buy replacement parts and restoration parts... much of that comes from overseas... If I were rich maybe I'd do things differently.... then again I'd have a few cars in the garage... and not just American ones.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-12-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 828 Likes on 660 Posts

This is off topic but related.... I had to do work at the tonawanda GM plant last year and when I pulled up to the gate the guard told me to back up to the post before the guard shack and ignored me... when I went inside to ask why he told me he couldn't let that non union POS into the plant... ( my company supplied car is a US made Camry) when I told him I had a dodge at home I could go exchange but it was made in Mexico he stated it doesn't matter were its made or who makes it as long as its a UAW product.... I ended up coming back with my corvette instead and the guy was super nice and even taking pics.... I still couldn't help thinking how ignorant he was. especially since camrys and Chevy/Geo prisms were once made in the same factory in California.... they even sold chevy cavaliers as Toyota's in japan.... I should have told him how the machines in the plant I was going to fix were made by non union people in china mylasia and Singapore.....

Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made in China parts is a little something called market competition. And when two producers within a market compete, the consumer wins.

That's Econ 101, gents. Get over it.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Schaggy
Instructor

Japan makes it
The intake is ordered by an 1"America company" and 2"shipped" over here and unloaded by Americans. 3 trucked to a warehouse. 4 distributed to a parts store. 5 Sells rep sells it over the phone. 6 UPs delivers it.
Thats 6 Americans to 1 Japanese involved in the intake, not to mention gas and paper products used to box, ship, fuel, and handling.
That cheaper intake put several Americans to work that day I ordered it verses deciding not buying an Edelbrock because its grossly over priced due to name brand loyalty.
I will pickup a used Edelbrock intake clean it up and sell for a nice profit from brand loyalty.
An interesting point, but one that you will probably have a tough time selling to this audience, friend.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 PM
johnnyjaws
Advanced

Chinese aluminm is not as good as eldebrocks read about kmj on the web
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

had a profressional products intake ,the ports where junk.I had to use alot of expoxy to get them close to matching the heads.it took 1 hr to file fit my elderbrock air gap ,to match the head ports.saw a dyno comparison of dual plane intakes , the air gap did a little better.the chinese stuff is not engineered ,just a copy of the good stuff.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 AM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everytime I buy a Chinese product I get stung. I try to buy local , then Canadian ,then American. Why are you guys whining about Vic? So he's rich. He's supporting the American economy ! He has to buy a house and everything that goes with it. So does everyone of his employees. They all pay taxes. Buy Chinese and support the Chinese communist government. To save $30 you'll support a communist government? By law I think EVERYTHING made in China should say "made in the Communist Republic of China". Everyone would give a second thought about where their money and their jobs were going. If you can't affort an extra $30 for your intake to support American jobs , then you shouldn't be buying that product until you can !

Last edited by couperdecar; 06-13-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

How big of a hurry are you in? I ship engines and blocks to London a few times a year, I'm sure by contact over there wouldn't mind an intake being dropped into one of the crates...plus it'll put you in touch with one of the best engine shops in England.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

err..
1. this post is 2 years old...hope he has an intake by now

2. I am not sure why people seem to think that buying American means better quality, in my experience, the majority of the time, it doesn't guarantee better products.

A lot of parts that we "think" are American are actually manufactured outside of the US, and just assembled here (I can name at least 3 "US" wheel companies that cast and do the intial machine work on wheels in China, then ship here for assembly)

And anyone that tells me they can tell the HP difference on a street small block between a chinese intake and a US one...is err...smoking something!

Get notified of new replies

To Professional Products, Pro Comp and plain old copies...

Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM
dgheinen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oreilly sells Edelbrock components. So lets say that....Oreilly buys X amount of Edelbrock intake manifolds. So, intake is ordered by 1 "Oreilly" company, and 2"shipped" from (lets say) Texas to California and unloaded by Americans in California. In CA it is 3 "trucked" to an Oreilly warehouse. 4 "distributed. You order it online at oreillyauto.com, and 6 ups delivers it. Oh, and the initial cost goes to an American company, which hires real life Americans to make and sell their products? Hmmm..that's 7 to your 6.

-Damon
Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Japan makes it

Thank you Tim. I hate when people come on here and say you get what you pay for. A friend has Pro Comp heads straight from E Bay and have had no problems. If I can get them I buy Jegs or Summit parts and save some cash. I never had a problem with any of their stuff. And I have bought parts from E Bay and never had any problems also. I also like the people that chime in here saying something is junk and they never used it, just heard third party that it was no good.

But then I have bought reproduction parts from big name companies that donīt fit. I guess I didnīt get what I paid for.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by couperdecar
Everytime I buy a Chinese product I get stung. I try to buy local , then Canadian ,then American. Why are you guys whining about Vic? So he's rich. He's supporting the American economy ! He has to buy a house and everything that goes with it. So does everyone of his employees. They all pay taxes. Buy Chinese and support the Chinese communist government. To save $30 you'll support a communist government? By law I think EVERYTHING made in China should say "made in the Communist Republic of China". Everyone would give a second thought about where their money and their jobs were going. If you can't affort an extra $30 for your intake to support American jobs , then you shouldn't be buying that product until you can !

Why donīt you look around your house and tell me how much chinese junk you have in there. And if you say none you are lying.

Quick Reply: Professional Products, Pro Comp and plain old copies...