C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the fan shroud out

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 PM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Getting the fan shroud out

I am in the process of replacing the radiator on my '79 and cannot get the fan shroud out. I have taken all of the suspension and control arms off and I'm still having trouble getting it out. It does have A/C, do I need to remove it to get the shroud out? Which side should I take out first, it seems like the passenger side but I haven't had any luck yet. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I am replacing the front suspension while I'm at it and shop called and the new control arm bushings are in so once I can get the radiator in the suspension can get put back together and I can drive again.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my '74 there are two little studs on the radiator support that catch the bottom of the shroud that they put in to make you crazy. You can wiggle it off, with care and a large inventory of swear words, once you know where they are.
When you finally get it out, I recommend a Sam Adams or a Bass Ale.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

On my 81 the shroud would not come out until I had the radiator out first. Lean shroud towards the engine as far as you can, wrestle out the radiator and pull out the shroud...Good Luck Tim
Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Kahle76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim81
On my 81 the shroud would not come out until I had the radiator out first. Lean shroud towards the engine as far as you can, wrestle out the radiator and pull out the shroud...Good Luck Tim
on my 76.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:34 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I guess I'll try getting the radiator first then. Everything I read said to get the shroud out first, but I am going to give it a shot.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 AM
sgm2004
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kahle76
on my 76.
Same on my 75.

sgm
Old 07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I just finished detailing the motor in my 78SA. Had everything off the front of it, fan, pulleys, water pump, AIR pump and brackets, AC brackets and the compressor pushed aside.

Shroud came right out. Lifted on the pass side first and it pulled right out.

Last edited by KapsSA; 07-28-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sgm2004
Same on my 75.

sgm
Ditto on my '81.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I actually sent a letter to Corvette Magazine about this after they said that the suspension needs to come out to remove the shroud and rad. It doesn’t!
As I’ve had the radiator in and out of our 78 at least 5 times in 21 years (and can now do the entire job in little over an hour) I know that the shroud will come free once the rad is out, and it doesn’t need to come out to remove the rad. As said, just move the shroud as close to the engine as possible (I have sometimes removed the fan, which makes things a little easier.) Then the radiator will lift out. Then, if necessary, lift out the shroud.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

30-40 years ago, before these were "collector cars", we use to just cut the shroud in half, and pull out one side at a time!

I'm guessing that would be frowned upon now.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbvette62
30-40 years ago, before these were "collector cars", we use to just cut the shroud in half, and pull out one side at a time!

I'm guessing that would be frowned upon now.
That is exactly what I did last summer. Once cut it rolled out from the passenger side. Nothing else had to be removed except the fan. When reinstalling, I screwed the two halfs together with a length of aluminum flat stock spray painted flat black.

I couldn't get the rad out without taking the shroud out and I couldn't get the shroud out without taking the radiator out. Not easy with A/C on a '73.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
...I actually sent a letter to Corvette Magazine about this after they said that the suspension needs to come out to remove the shroud and rad. It doesn’t!...
No it doesn't. Just shows you how much the author of the article knew about Corvettes. He/she should have posted here before writing the article.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 PM
John A F
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
No it doesn't. Just shows you how much the author of the article knew about Corvettes. He/she should have posted here before writing the article.

When I put a DeWitts with dual fans in my 79 last year, I got the old rad out by removing the fan, dismounted the alternator and AC compressor from their brackets and laid them aside on the inner fender panels. I also has to remove the top 2 of the 3 core support bolts on each side and the bottom core support bolts and then I could rotate the top of the core support toward the front of the car about 2 to 3 inches. If I remember right, the shroud then came out without too much difficulty, then lift the drivers side of the rad up then you can wrestle the passenger side out. Some people will recommend taking the hood off, but I didn't have to. Working by my self I had the old one out in a few hours. I did have to enlist the help of my neighbors teenage son to help me hold the new rad on the install. Since the new rad had electric fans already mounted, I didn't have to worry about reinstalling the shroud. The whole job was done on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 PM
75 Vette
Advanced

Default Ok, we got it out how do you get it back in?

I managed after several hours to get it out. The radiator is at the Rad shop being repaired. Now how do you get it back in. Do you install the rad with the shroud or each one seperate?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 PM
68FireBird
Advanced

Originally Posted by 75 Vette
I managed after several hours to get it out. The radiator is at the Rad shop being repaired. Now how do you get it back in. Do you install the rad with the shroud or each one seperate?
Just did this today. You need a helper. Laid the shroud in and close to the engine (fan out). Drop radiator in close to the shrowd (I protected it with card board on each side) Lower the side with the outlet on the bottom in first around the control arm, and it will just slide in. Several inches to spare on either side.

I was presently surprised after all the trouble getting it out. I think the trick is the radiator comes out before the shrowd.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting the fan shroud out

Quick Reply: Getting the fan shroud out