C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to rebuild L82? Looking for guides

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 PM
Zapawaf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to rebuild L82? Looking for guides

For those of you who followed my last post,
my 79 4 speed manual died on me after owning it for less then a week and less then 3 hours of drive time.

Now begins the task of rebuilding it me and my father (best fits the budget), the chassis is rusty.. It was a NH car, can't see the point of 'tricking out' a car but doing it half *** so If I was going to put high end parts in it I'd want to restore the whole thing. I just want a weekend driver and it will be in FL at the folks until my lease is up and I move there myself.

All that to say we're rebuilding the motor and we're hoping for good guides to help us figure out the best way to tackle this challange, and advice anyone has. Plus if there is anything that should be replaced while it's out. Any and all advice welcome.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My condolences on your blown engine.
Small block Chevy engines are hard to kill. (Years ago, a guy I know deliberately tried to kill one. The car had 170,000 miles on it , and was on it's way to the junkyard that afternoon. Terminal body rust. He drained the oil and water, put a brick on the gas pedal, started it, and backed off to a safe distance. After 20 minutes, it ran out of gas.)
How did it happen?
You need to do a failure analysis so that the new motor won't break, as well. At any rate, the SBC is one of the most successful engines ever made- probably tens of millions since 1955. It is widely understood, and parts are easy to get and generally reasonably priced. There are any number of books available on rebuilding them. Educate yourself as much as possible before turning a wrench or spending any money. And be realistic about your budget.
Have fun.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapawaf
my 79 4 speed manual died on me after owning it for less then a week and less then 3 hours of drive time.

Now begins the task of rebuilding it me and my father (best fits the budget), the chassis is rusty.. It was a NH car, can't see the point of 'tricking out' a car but doing it half *** so If I was going to put high end parts in it I'd want to restore the whole thing. I just want a weekend driver and it will be in FL at the folks until my lease is up and I move there myself.

All that to say we're rebuilding the motor and we're hoping for good guides to help us figure out the best way to tackle this challange, and advice anyone has. Plus if there is anything that should be replaced while it's out. Any and all advice welcome.
Pull the engine tear it down to the bare block take everything to a machine shop that has all the tools to measure with let them tell you what kind of shape its in what needs done.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 09-01-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Start by buying and reading this book - don't do anything until you do, as the teardown can tell you a great deal about the engine and you can make errors during teardown that will cost you money later. Don't (DO NOT) get ahead of yourself and start buying parts! This book isn't perfect - but it's darn good.

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-...4888935&sr=1-1

Step 2 is to find a local shop willing and able to work with a home rebuilder.

Final step is to set a budget. You'll have a bazillion choices on stuff, and a budget is the only way to make smart ones. The goal is a well-matched combination that fits within your budget...not a Frankenengine that sits on the stand because you couldn't afford to finish it.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Any How To Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy book will help.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Work with the machine shop let them look over everything. Reading a book can give you some basic knowledge you still won't know what your looking at in comparison to what they know.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

...but without the knowledge from the book, and information gleaned during the teardown, there's no way to understand and evaluate what the shop is telling you. The better understood the process and parts are, the better able you are to partner with the shop.

And doing a home rebuild is for sure a partnership with the machine shop. In the end the shop will be clear that the builder owns - 100% all the decisions for the build.

For example, during teardown you find consistenly worn main bearings, nicely covering the full face of the bearing. The machine shop recommends an align-hone and you ask why, providing the bearings as the reason for the question. Doesn't mean you're saying they're wrong - or you're smarter - but it makes you an informed customer.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Best thing you can do is let the machine shop assemble atleast the shortblock. Nothing wrong with reading a book but let a good machine shop diagnose your parts they have 1000 times the experience you have.

The first best thing you have to do is find a good rep machine shop.
$10/$15 as a local spectator dirt track talking to them in the pitts
for a machine shop can do it you get lots of fun watching the races thrown in with the deal. Don't just open a phone book guess that this one looks good.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 09-01-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

*sigh*

I completely disagree with letting the shop do the shortblock - it's one of the most satisfying part of the build and not difficult to do at all. It takes time and patience - but people have been successfully overhauling these things for around 60 years

I do about 10 overhauls/year working with novice builders, and every single one of those builds has been 100% successful.

The purpose of reading the book, again, is to gain experience and be an informed part of the process - if you don't speak the language, then you can't understand what you're being told.

I guess someone can take a torn down engine (you did remember to mark the rod caps, right? The book would tell you the importance of this.) to the shop and just do whatever they say...but that doesn't always lead to the best results.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Sure if he wants the fun of building it. Wrenching on stuff is not always fun to some. Ill bet he is a little sick buying a car only getting three hours use out of it just wants to get it running as a cruiser.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

I am not up to speed with the other thread. How do you know the engine is toast?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
...Best thing you can do is let the machine shop assemble atleast the shortblock...
Where does that put me? I do my own work and rebuilt my smallblock. The only thing I farmed out was the valve job.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Where does that put me? I do my own work and rebuilt my smallblock. The only thing I farmed out was the valve job.

If you want to do it have the tools or can borrow the tools. If you have to start buying tools to do the job.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
bbc454500
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roco71
I am not up to speed with the other thread. How do you know the engine is toast?
same question?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

I agree there are kinda two types of builders - those that WANT to and those that HAVE to.

The HAVE to builders are likely better off just buying a shortblock vs. going through a shop to build their own unless originality is an issue.

Hopefully the OP can chime in on where they're at with the HAVE to vs. WANT to thing
Old 09-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapawaf

Where in FL will you be located? I am near Cocoa and might be able to point you to a reputable machine shop. They are not equal and you want one of the better shops. Be sure to take plenty of photos, take notes and bag and tag as you tear it down. Do this even if you will be replacing many of parts. The time you take will make assembly easier.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

This might be the cheapest, most pain free option:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10067353/

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To How to rebuild L82? Looking for guides

Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by scottyp99
This might be the cheapest, most pain free option:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-10067353/

Scott
This is a good choice and you can buy is at any Chevy dealer.
Pick up truck it home and save the shipping.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Zapawaf
Racer

Originally Posted by Red 69
Where in FL will you be located? I am near Cocoa and might be able to point you to a reputable machine shop. They are not equal and you want one of the better shops. Be sure to take plenty of photos, take notes and bag and tag as you tear it down. Do this even if you will be replacing many of parts. The time you take will make assembly easier.
Englewood, Sarasota County. I'm not to familiar with Fl, I lived there the first 6 months of my senior year in HS and moved back north to NH haha.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Zapawaf
Racer

For those of you wanting to be "up to speed" with the last thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1578580116

Long story short, we trouble shooted it, tried new alt, battery, had the starter tested (there's a video of it trying to catch the flywheel and won't budge it), and lastly had a mechanic actually take a look at it and determined it to be siezed.

To answer Billa and Little Mouse
I don't nessicarily WANT to do this rebuild, but I do enjoy learning, and the price of doing things yourself is generally cheaper. Worst case scenerio, we take it out, find something wrong with it and we don't believe we can handle the job, we'll have someone who does it for a living do it, we know our limits.

Car was just placed on the shipping truck and is on it's way to Fl as we speak. Tuesday I should be pushing it up the driveway into the garage haha. Yeeeehaw

Quick Reply: How to rebuild L82? Looking for guides