C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers for an 81

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers for an 81

How much of a performance gain should I expect from exchanging the stock exhaust manfolds on my 81 with some real headers? The stock manifolds look pretty much like shorty headers to me. If I decide to get aftermarket heads later on, would I need different headers, or will they still fit?

I would like something that's coated inside and out, what are the best headers to get like this, I've heard that sometimes the coating starts to come off.

[Modified by Ben Taylor, 3:26 PM 5/2/2002]
Old 05-02-2002, 06:58 PM
razz1980
Racer

Default Re: Headers for an 81 (Ben Taylor)

hey ben this is a much opionionated discision..now alot if members are gonna tell u that headers wont do much unless ur using a BB or a highly mod SB..while others will say it might just open that engine up a bit and be just what it needs..my opionion is that even if it just helps a little ,they look so :cool: when coated that there defenently on my upgrade to do list :jester ive heard that the dynomax polished coated are the best for the price..there very inexpensive and look,fit and work great..if u are feeling rich get the hedmen or hookers for alot more but i cant see them beeing that much better..just my 2 cents though :D
Old 05-03-2002, 12:24 AM
aqua80
Instructor

Default Re: Headers for an 81 (Ben Taylor)

Ben, on my 80 I shopped around and found a local guy that I can't say enough about. When I ordered them he took about a week and custom built em for me. I took them home, put them on and they fit like a glove. I went with the tri Y design that he recomended. I also went chrome, but I'm sure he'll coat as well. He even installed the air tube fittings just in case I'm forced by the smog cops to put emmissions back on. Check him out at http://www.stans-headers.com/. I haven't seen to many junkers in his shop, mostly street-rods and high performance cars. Oh yea and mine. Latter

Get notified of new replies

To Headers for an 81

Quick Reply: Headers for an 81