C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Performer 2101 and qjet choke question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Edelbrock Performer 2101 and qjet choke question

So I took off my stock manifold to get it cleaned up and one of the thermostat housing bolts got stuck and broke off. I've tried drilling it out and I'm not getting anywhere close to getting it out. So that's left me with a problem, I need an intake for my 4MV qjet that's being rebuilt as I type this by SMI.

I've looked at quite a few pictures of the 2101:

and have yet to see one picture of the divorced choke hooked up.

I've seen the 8901 part:

and the 9171 part:

I've read a few places that the 2101 is a drop-in replacement for the stock intake and that "The QuadraJet carburetor bolts directly to the "Performer" utilizing all stock brackets, fittings and cables".

So I'm pretty convinced it's what I'm looking for, just trying to figure out if there's anything else I need to get things hooked up right so I can order them now.

Last edited by StingrayLust; 10-07-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2104/?rtype=10

This one has the heat choke
Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Been wondering about this myself. The 2104 doesn't look right either...
Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

What about going wiht an electric choke? Could SMI convert to electric.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ormer-sb.shtml
2104 is FOR 1987-95
CAST IRON CYLINDER HEADS

Choke parts:
#1931 is listed for divorced choke.
#1930 is for later chokes.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:12 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a 2101 on my 74 many years ago. The choke rod needed to be a shade longer than stock. I used a longer choke rod from my old pickup truck (that was on it's way to the boneyard). I didn't know at the time that Edelbrock sold a longer rod.
After a while, I decided to remove the heat riser, reasoning that the aluminum manifold heats up quicker than an iron one. Also, why install a high flow exhaust system if you are going to have one side valved off half the time? I got a spacer to replace it from one of the repro houses (Zip, maybe, or Mid America). Other than that, no issues.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:37 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

From my looking around, it seems that the 2101 and 2104 are very similar. The difference the Edelbrock catalog states is that the 2104 is designed for "V8's that have heads with canted center bolt holes" whatever that means.

Mine will be the non-EGR version and I already have a new choke coil and housing from Corvette Central on the the way (was for my stock intake).

So I'm still assuming the 2101 is the correct choice and not the 2104?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:57 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Default carb gasket

Does someone know the correct carb gasket for the qjet/2101 combo? The gasket I pulled off my old intake doesn't look like it would be correct for the Edelbrock.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

It's a pretty quick job for a machine shop to drill and helicoil that...

Not all Q-Jets can be converted - which is why I brought this up a couple of times on the other thread

It should be the 2101 - the 2104 is for Fast Burn/Vortec-type heads.

Last edited by billla; 10-07-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes the 2104 I posted isn't the right one, it was early and I didn't check correctly. Sorry for the bad information
Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
Does someone know the correct carb gasket for the qjet/2101 combo? The gasket I pulled off my old intake doesn't look like it would be correct for the Edelbrock.
Basically any open, spread-bore gasket will work; see below:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...rb+base+gasket
Old 10-07-2011, 04:58 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billla
Basically any open, spread-bore gasket will work; see below:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...rb+base+gasket
Dummy me, I may have thrown my original gasket away, instead of keeping it for reference. I was thinking that the original had connections going across the middle unlike the ones in the link above. Thanks for the info.

I think my original looked more like this:

Last edited by StingrayLust; 10-07-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Yeah, that's for the stock manifold with the individual barrel plenum. You can still use that one...just trim out the center
Old 10-07-2011, 06:16 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billla
Yeah, that's for the stock manifold with the individual barrel plenum. You can still use that one...just trim out the center
So I've been reading more specifically about gaskets. I know the correct one for the qjet and stock manifold is 1/4" if I'm not mistaken.

Now with the Edel 2101, there's that middle wall in the plenum between the left and right runners if that's the correct terminology. If I used a stock 1/4" gasket, wouldn't the gap between the left and right tunnels cause a problem as air from the left could be sucked over to the right? I read somewhere to use the thinnest gasket you can find which eliminates that center wall gap between the bottom of the carb and intake.

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing. I hate myself as I'm almost to the point of finding another stock intake and just being content with it. I wish I would have taken my intake to a shop with the correct tools to correctly take out my broken bolt, would have saved me and this forum some grief.

I do appreciate all of input though!!! It's a learning curve for me.

The reason I ask these questions about the 2101 is that I find it hard to believe that any aftermarket products just "bolt up" like they say they will without modification. Take this image I found in someone elses thread where they were using a 2701 and the fuel line doesn't match up. I read further in that thread that while the 2101 won't match up 100%, it's only off about a 1/2" and the line can be pretty easily bent to reach it. The SS line I have from my pump to carb is pretty tough to bend but I think I could get a 1/2" of height from it. I just didn't want to end up with my qjet on the 2101 and end up with something that looks like this, thusly causing me more headaches:
Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Let's back up for a second. I said this on your other thread and elsewhere, but if you decide to go to an aftermarket manifold you shouldn't expect anything to "just bolt up", period. Fuel lines, linkages, vacuum lines - figure everything may need some "tweaking" or even mild fabrication to make it work. The only way to really know is to bolt in the manifold and start working through it all.

Now...two things. First, did you bugger up your old manifold so much you really think it can't be fixed? Because they can helicoil just about anything Second, if you did want an iron manifold, they're a dime a dozen.

As for the "crossover" between plenums with an open gasket, it's not really an issue. It happens to some small extent - but it's not worth worrying about. An old trick to get a few more RPM out of the LT-1-type intake was to cut down the center divider in the middle specifically to allow for this

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock Performer 2101 and qjet choke question

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Performer 2101 and qjet choke question