C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Bellhousing for a GM T5??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Which Bellhousing for a GM T5??

I'm planning on putting a T5 from a Camaro in my 76 L-82 automatic.

Question is which bellhousing would be better for me to use. I currently have a 621 bellhousing and 11 inch clutch set.

However, I know the bellhousing from a Camaro would have the T5 at an angle.

Two main issues, trans mount and shifter location and angle.

So I'm trying to understand the pros and cons of going with the 621 bell I already have vs a Camaro bell.

GM 621 bellhousing:
Pros: I already have it, will work with my 11 inch clutch set and flywheel.
Cons: need to make custom trans mount since the T5 will be level, the trans mount will be at an angle.
Shifter: will need to customize this too.

Camaro Bellhousing:
Pros: need to get one and a 10.5 clutch set and 153 tooth flywheel. Then sell my 621 bell and 11 inch clutch set and 168 tooth flywheel.

***BIG Question*****Maybe I don't need a custom trans mount on the crossbeam?? Is this true??

If so this would be a good reason to go with the Camaro bell.

Cons: still have to customize the shifter angle. I think?

Anyone done this? Please advise.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Had the same problem,trashed the T5 idea. I found a Richmond 6spd here in Hawaii(lucky me).Some sites I found while doing my research, most go with the Ford T5 and adapter plate.http://www.wilcap.com/chevy.html [IMG][/IMG]
These guys can build a new T5 that will bolt up to the 621 and have a flat trans mount.http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/GM_STICK.html They may be able to help you figure something out for the canted trans mount.
Check your T5 gear ratios to see if it works with your rear gear.I think you have a 3.08 so you would want a 1st gear close to 3.00 and OD close to .80.You will need a manual starter with that 621 BH the auto starter won't work.Shifter and drive shaft will need to be modded.Once you go manual you never regret it! Good Luck.....
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, I've been looking for a while and never knew about the guys at pro motion.

As for wilcap, I knew that but they don't have an adapter for 92 or newer ford T5's.

I'll give pro motion a call and see what they have to help.

The T5 I was thinking of buying is rebuilt by: http://reedsperformancetransmissions.com/
So you're saying with the ford, the trans mount will just bolt up?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

, I have 3.36 gears in the rear. So was thinking the GM T5 would work well.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use a Ford trans. the angle is compensated for when the adapter plate is made. My trans. mount sits flush on the crossmember.
The plate also has to be 1/2" stock to make up for the 1/2" additional length of the Ford input shaft.
It seems to intimidate some....having to fabricate the adapter plate...but it really is not hard or complicated at all.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Slyvette.

And what about the shifter? any mod needed there?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case I had to move the shifter 1" left and 1" back. This is with a Hurst straight handle.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

When I talked to Promotion,they would set up a GM T5 with a straight trans mount.I think they have an adjustable shifter also.Your 3.36 should work good with the T5,multiply your 3.36 rear gear X 1st gear ratio.You want to be close to 10.This is a rewarding project! You'll be smilin when it's done.....Aloha's
Old 10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One other possibility if you're interested in an experiment.
Ford T5s have a different bellhousing to trans bolt pattern and input shaft than GMs.
The 2.95 Ford and GM input shafts are interchangable on the T5.
An 86-89 Chevy Astro Van, 5 speed manual, 4.3 has a bell housing with both the Ford and GM trans to bellhousing bolt pattern. It will also fit a 168 tooth flywheel/clutch. It has the BBC/SBC bellhousing to block bolt pattern.
You can get a 2.95 1st gear Mustang T5 cheap, when you rebuild it swap out a GM 2.95 1st gear input shaft (under $100 on ebay).
Bolt that to the Astro van bellhousing and use an 11" BBC clutch with 26 splines.
The only issue I'm aware of is that the Ford bearing retainer is larger than the GM. You can try swapping the GM bearing retainer on the ford trans or have the bellhousing machined for the larger Ford bearing.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM
tt 383
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So is the Chevy pattern straight? Or is it off somehow? Seems a GF case and Chevy input would be more cost effective and stronger than the Ford with spacer. Then the mount would be the only obstacle.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Bellhousing for a GM T5??

Quick Reply: Which Bellhousing for a GM T5??