C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailing arm shim question???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Trailing arm shim question???

Hello and thanks in advance to all who offer their help. I took over someone's aborted project. They had all the fun they could have taking everything apart. I bought the 68 in pieces and, in true grown-up kid style, I am enjoying the "actual size" model that I am putting together. With the aforementioned in mind, I am ready to install the shims on the rear trailing arms. I have the 68 assembly manual and have read the notes on the shims, however, I don't speak early american engineer? So, if anybody could direct me to a link with tips, ect or if you have a trick... I would love to hear it. I have all new shims... just no idea what was where when it was taken apart?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:07 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 13611
Hello and thanks in advance to all who offer their help. I took over someone's aborted project. They had all the fun they could have taking everything apart. I bought the 68 in pieces and, in true grown-up kid style, I am enjoying the "actual size" model that I am putting together. With the aforementioned in mind, I am ready to install the shims on the rear trailing arms. I have the 68 assembly manual and have read the notes on the shims, however, I don't speak early american engineer? So, if anybody could direct me to a link with tips, ect or if you have a trick... I would love to hear it. I have all new shims... just no idea what was where when it was taken apart?
The rear end including the trailing arms will need to be aligned by a knowledgeable alignment shop. To hold you over until you get there it's best to try to slip the shims in the arm in equal increments. Attempt to center the arm in the frame and once the arm gets to the shop give them all the extra shims you have.

They should then check the alignment and make the needed adjustments.

Willcox
Old 10-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Rontech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put it together

You need to have the front wheels on also. The shims are just for the toe in. Here's some articles that might help for other projects on your 68.

Ron

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/1968...-articles.html
Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Rontech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this site and see if it will help you.

Ron

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...alignment.html

Get notified of new replies

To Trailing arm shim question???

Quick Reply: Trailing arm shim question???