C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Turbocharged C3 corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

C3's were Turbo'd a fair amount in the late 70's and early 80's only problem was that they didn't work all that well cause there wasn't a Computor running the show. Now that every Car sold has a ECM its somewhat easyer to make a Turbo Car work. Gale Banks has re indroduced there Gas Twin setup only now with EFI and the Vintage Air Frontrunner belt. Accell used to sell a Single Turbo kit back in the Day and I'm sure one of those comes up on e-bay every so often. There were a few more as well. Just dump the Blow threw Carb and get EFI involved. Both Single and Twin Turbo Hoods should still be avalable as well. If you can fabricate Headers and or Mainfolds and use one of the Serpintene Belt setups of today You will save enough room under the hood to mount Turbo (s) up forward and high enough that the Oil will drain back to the Pan with out a Pump.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 PM
opnwide
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny that a lot of racers are ditching EFI and going carb'd. Where you get your carb from counts.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Tumarr
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by opnwide
Tumar,
who's carb were you running? Did it have a boost referenced power valve or crutch, or were you just running the heaviest spring possible. (everyone knows that boost pressure in the bowl in actually higher than boost pressure under the carb hence the power valve issues most newbies encounter).
The carb is a C&S specialties carb with Roger's own boost reference power valves. The powervalves not opening was found to be swollen rubber in side the powervalves constricting the motion of them. this was explained to me as the 93 octane pump gas I used to fire the engine up had too much ethanol in it and caused this. another issue discovered was the rear throttle blades were not opening all the way and causing distribution issues to the rear cylinders. All these things caused it to be so finicky, I quickly realized blow thru is not the way to reach over 2000 hp in a turbo car.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 AM
User-C3
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

lets see some more turbo c3 vettes
Old 10-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by opnwide
Its funny that a lot of racers are ditching EFI and going carb'd. Where you get your carb from counts.
Originally it came from Gale Banks Engineering. Then it went to Turbo Engineering, the Carb Shop and a couple of others I can't remember anymore. Everybody had an idea, everybody had a solution. Engine Dyno's , Chassis Dyno's. Making the Engine Run under Full Throttle wasn't all that hard to do it was making it run around on the street that was difficult. All the wile knowing that if it had a hick up I would Melt a set of Pistons which I never did although I did melt an Exhaust Valve or two. A Carburetor is nothing more than a controlled fuel leak, a blow threw Carb is nothing more than a fuel leak out of control. The best place that Carb ever went was the trash.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

With the pro EFI setup you should be able to get the intake tube back under the hood.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:25 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Is the plan to run EGT sensors on each exhaust tube so the computer can adjust the injectors individually???
Old 12-16-2020, 12:41 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

I know this thread hasn't been updated in 6 years, but I'm shamelessly adding my car. It's a real driver that occasionally sees the track.
Turbo: Single 88mm.
Engine: 6.0L Forged LS1.
Trans: 4L80E.
Rear: 4 Link with Ford.

Build thread in signature

Old 12-16-2020, 02:03 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

After 9 years and a bunch of removed or branded photos, it’s time for a new thread on the topic.

Quick Reply: Looking for Turbocharged C3 corvettes