C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonding Fender to firewall NOT Plexus MA-550

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonding Fender to firewall NOT Plexus MA-550

I had to break the bonds at the rear of my passenger side fender for realignment. The previous owner had reattached it too far out so there was excessive amounts of shims on the upper hinge.

After hours of cleaning and trial fitting I glued it back with Plexus MA-550. It was supposed to be the best thing to use. Problem is it did not get hard. A phone call to the vendors tech line reviled that the cartridge probably got hot in the garage. The tech said to remove all the Plexus material and start over. I asked that since I already spent $86 on the adhesive that is now bad, and must spend hours cleaning up the bad product, could they discount the new tube in anyway. His answer was that he would not discount it in any way since I am a one time user. I guess customer satisfaction does not count if you are not a repeat customer

If the product is that sensitive to heat they should have a warning on it.

Could anyone suggest another product to use as I will never use a Plexus product again
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Tom Sarno
I had to break the bonds at the rear of my passenger side fender for realignment. The previous owner had reattached it too far out so there was excessive amounts of shims on the upper hinge.

After hours of cleaning and trial fitting I glued it back with Plexus MA-550. It was supposed to be the best thing to use. Problem is it did not get hard. A phone call to the vendors tech line reviled that the cartridge probably got hot in the garage. The tech said to remove all the Plexus material and start over. I asked that since I already spent $86 on the adhesive that is now bad, and must spend hours cleaning up the bad product, could they discount the new tube in anyway. His answer was that he would not discount it in any way since I am a one time user. I guess customer satisfaction does not count if you are not a repeat customer

Could anyone suggest another product to use as I will never use a Plexus product again
Hey Tom.
Isn't 3M 8115 THE stuff to use for bonding panel?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Originally Posted by Denpo
Hey Tom.
Is that the stuff you used?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There are several epoxy glues you can use to do this... I've never heard of Plexus MA-550 but then I don't get out much.

We only use SEM 39747 (about 30 bucks per tube) to glue the panels on and it does take a special gun to apply. But the stuff works and looks factory when dry.

Willcox
Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Denpo
Hey Tom.
Is that the stuff you used?
Well that's the stuff I was planning to use, still haven't glue my front clip.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you save the tube? What is the date?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Originally Posted by wombvette
Wayne,

By asking the date, I am assuming you are familiar with the product?

After using it I have found out that shelf life is critical factor (one year max) and it is very easily damaged by heat (normal summertime garage temp will damage it)

I sticker on the tube that said 'do not store in at temps over 90deg and check self life before use' would have been very helpful.

The tech rep said that they store the product in a climate controlled area! If I had know this I would have put it in my sock drawer after buying it for close to $90.

The part that bothered me most was when he referred to me as a 'one time buyer' so discounting a replacement was not possible. Not even a sorry our product failure is going to cause more work on your part.

SEM 39747 is what I will use after I get this mess cleaned off.

Tom
Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Lot number is 103151. That should make it 17months old. Nozzle was 10-24. Twenty four hours later and it feels like a gummy bear. Very disappointed
Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Never heard of Plexus MA-550 .
I used 3m#8219 adhesive, to attach my front clip.
work time 30 minutes, - cures 24 hours, sets up rock hard.
you have to work fast 30 minutes get everything into place.
pretty sure 3m stands behind all their products. !

Last edited by 69Vett; 10-15-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: stupid keyboard !
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Lot number is 103151. That should make it 17months old. Nozzle was 10-24. Twenty four hours later and it feels like a gummy bear. Very disappointed
If your dates are correct, that is your problem, and the company needs to stand up and do the right thing. Any epoxy product that is 17 months old is subject to be bad. Shelf life is typically much less than that. At the very least they should replace the product.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:43 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Wayne,

By asking the date, I am assuming you are familiar with the product?

After using it I have found out that shelf life is critical factor (one year max) and it is very easily damaged by heat (normal summertime garage temp will damage it)

I sticker on the tube that said 'do not store in at temps over 90deg and check self life before use' would have been very helpful.

The tech rep said that they store the product in a climate controlled area! If I had know this I would have put it in my sock drawer after buying it for close to $90.

The part that bothered me most was when he referred to me as a 'one time buyer' so discounting a replacement was not possible. Not even a sorry our product failure is going to cause more work on your part.

SEM 39747 is what I will use after I get this mess cleaned off.

Tom
My reply to that statement would have been, " and in the era of internet, I will do everything I can to insure that there are no other one time buyers."
Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

My reply to that statement would have been, " and in the era of internet, I will do everything I can to insure that there are no other one time buyers."
The funny part is I am not a one time user. I own a sign shop and use lots of 3M DP8010. I was talked into trying the Plexus MA-550. Not wanting to test it on a customers job that I would not see again, I tested it on my own car. Nexet time I use a new product I will test is on scrap and put it under the bench. That will save all the time removing a product that did not work.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Kiwigreg
Advanced

Default Header Bar on 74 vette

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
There are several epoxy glues you can use to do this... I've never heard of Plexus MA-550 but then I don't get out much.

We only use SEM 39747 (about 30 bucks per tube) to glue the panels on and it does take a special gun to apply. But the stuff works and looks factory when dry.

Willcox
Hi Willcox,
I realise this post is now 6 or so years old, however I have to replace the header bar on my 74 vette. The old one has rusted out.
Would you still recommend the SEM 39747, or is there something better on the market now?
Cheers
Greg
Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwigreg
Hi Willcox,
I realise this post is now 6 or so years old, however I have to replace the header bar on my 74 vette. The old one has rusted out.
Would you still recommend the SEM 39747, or is there something better on the market now?
Cheers
Greg
Maybe start a new thread with the Willcox name in it to get their attention? You could also send off an email, they are very helpful and easy to deal with.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:16 AM
Kiwigreg
Advanced

Thanks for the tip

Get notified of new replies

To Bonding Fender to firewall NOT Plexus MA-550

Quick Reply: Bonding Fender to firewall NOT Plexus MA-550