C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muncie M20 - 3rd gear synchro problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:07 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Muncie M20 - 3rd gear synchro problem.

I'm having a problem on my yellow '68 Vert with the 3rd gear synchro. Shifting up is not a problem but when downshifting, I have to shift first from 4 to 2 and then from 2 to 3 to get the transmission into 3rd gear.. It has been like this for a while and doesn't bother me as I'm used to it, but I'm thinking in selling the car and want to get the tranny fixed.. I also need a new clutch, so the tranny has to come out anyways. Can the 3rd gear synchro be fixed without a full rebuild of the transmission? (the transmission works great otherwise)???
How much am I looking at for the cost of having the transmission fixed or is this something that I can do myself (fixing the 3rd gear synchro)?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

You have to tear the trani down no matter what parts you put into it. So you could discount your selling price and let the next owner do a complete rebuild.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MelWff
You have to tear the trani down no matter what parts you put into it. So you could discount your selling price and let the next owner do a complete rebuild.
I think that I'll get a better price by MORE than what it costs me to have the transmission rebuilt. As I'll pull and re-install the transmission myself, it will only cost me the price of the rebuild.. I have no idea on what a rebuild will cost.. I can buy rebuilt M20's for about $650 - $750, so, if it's more expensive than that, I'll just get another one and sell mine on Ebay.. It's not the matching transmission (with the VIN number stampted on it) anyways, so it won't matter.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:26 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,601 Posts

well this is a rebuild kit so if you can do it yourself...........
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1965-1975.html
Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can rebuild it yourself. Instructions/manuals are available online or you can buy on ebay. The only tools you need besides wrenches etc.. are a press, a piece of 2" pipe, and buy a front input nut wrench.
I've bought a few kits from these guys.
http://www.tbtrans.com/muncie_4_speed.htm
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MelWff
well this is a rebuild kit so if you can do it yourself...........
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1965-1975.html
I don't think that I can do the rebuild myself, but I can pull and re-install a transmission.. That's something that I've done many times before, even though only automatic transmissions.. Shouldn't be much harder to do a manual transmission..
Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
I don't think that I can do the rebuild myself, but I can pull and re-install a transmission.. That's something that I've done many times before, even though only automatic transmissions.. Shouldn't be much harder to do a manual transmission..
I bet a manual is easier to rebuild than an auto. Rebuilding a T5 at the moment, fairly simple if you got the instructions.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

My M21 was leaking and difficult going into second. I pulled it and brought it over to machine shop Bob for tear down, inspection and rebuild. Needed new second gear, new synchros, new thrust bearing and all new seals. Parts were $412 and labor was $428, tax included. Was given lots of photos and the old parts. Would have been way over my head.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 10-15-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Denpo
I laugh every time I see your avatar. Reminds me of cruising at 80 on my Harley and looking over at my old biker buddy...his loose neck, cheeks and triceps skin flapping in the wind. Opening one's mouth like that would just let bugs in.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:57 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rebuilt my fleabay M20 a few years ago; bought the parts from an eBay vendor "kajunjon.com". Quality stuff, worked as advertised. Mine wouldn't go into first when stopped without brute force so I bought a new 1-2 slider along with the regular rebuild kit (bearings, rollers, sychros, seals, etc.). Really, it's a piece of cake. As mentioned before, you may need a press, but everything else is just regular handtools. I downloaded a GM assembly manual from some crooked website ($5 I think) and just followed that. It works beautifully now; shifts like butter. The only thing that is expensive to replace are the gears themselves, it sounds like the synchro teeth on your 3rd gear may be toast causing the hard shifting but (as I did) you may well be able to band-aid it with a new slider for $20-$30. Honestly, if you can read (and clearly you can spell!) you can do this-it's easier than pulling the trans.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Denpo
I laugh every time I see your avatar. Reminds me of cruising at 80 on my Harley and looking over at my old biker buddy...his loose neck, cheeks and triceps skin flapping in the wind. Opening one's mouth like that would just let bugs in.

My M21 was leaking and difficult going into second. I pulled it and brought it over to machine shop Bob for tear down, inspection and rebuild. Needed new second gear, new synchros, new thrust bearing and all new seals. Parts were $412 and labor was $428, tax included. Was given lots of photos and the old parts. Would have been way over my head.
I borrowed a "rebuilt your T5" DVD. Can't be easier.
There is some details, like the orientation of a certain washer or where to put sealant/grease/whatever you just can't miss with it.
English is not my first language, image work much better than text for me.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Might be cheaper for me to get a rebuilt unit. I can get them for $650 to $750..
Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by birdsmith
I rebuilt my fleabay M20 a few years ago; bought the parts from an eBay vendor "kajunjon.com". Quality stuff, worked as advertised. Mine wouldn't go into first when stopped without brute force so I bought a new 1-2 slider along with the regular rebuild kit (bearings, rollers, sychros, seals, etc.). Really, it's a piece of cake. As mentioned before, you may need a press, but everything else is just regular handtools. I downloaded a GM assembly manual from some crooked website ($5 I think) and just followed that. It works beautifully now; shifts like butter. The only thing that is expensive to replace are the gears themselves, it sounds like the synchro teeth on your 3rd gear may be toast causing the hard shifting but (as I did) you may well be able to band-aid it with a new slider for $20-$30. Honestly, if you can read (and clearly you can spell!) you can do this-it's easier than pulling the trans.
Don't have a press nor have I ever used one. I'll probably just get a rebuilt one and sell mine.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
Might be cheaper for me to get a rebuilt unit. I can get them for $650 to $750..
Sure, but do you know what you're getting for that.
Rebuilt could mean a lot of thing.
Just changed the bearings and seals? also changed the synchro? Changed the gears with worn out synchro teeth?
Lot of things wear out in a transmission, and decision to change this or that part can be subjective.
If I'd buy a rebuilt one I'd take tailhousing and the cover off to check by myself.

With the money I virtually saved I decided to get a G-Force strengthened case, since case warping is the main weakness of those transmission.

I admit, I love to rebuilt things in general, so I may be partial.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Denpo
Sure, but do you know what you're getting for that.
Rebuilt could mean a lot of thing.
Just changed the bearings and seals? also changed the synchro? Changed the gears with worn out synchro teeth?
Lot of things wear out in a transmission, and decision to change this or that part can be subjective.
If I'd buy a rebuilt one I'd take tailhousing and the cover off to check by myself.

With the money I virtually saved I decided to get a G-Force strengthened case, since case warping is the main weakness of those transmission.

I admit, I love to rebuilt things in general, so I may be partial.
Considering that I'm going to sell the car, I really don't want to put a whole lot of money into it.

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie M20 - 3rd gear synchro problem.

Quick Reply: Muncie M20 - 3rd gear synchro problem.