C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Wire Harness Question

Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Engine Wire Harness Question

I received my engine wire harness from Wilcox yesterday and installed today.
I was worried about it but it was actually very easy. It took me about 1 1/2 hours. Mainly because of the trans kickdown wire that goes through the firewall and moving the wiper motor to get the harness around it.

Have a few questions about wires that were not hooked up with my old harness so I guess I don't need them but want to make sure.

1. At the front of the harness there are two wires (black and white) that hook into one plug with a "T" connection inside the black plug boot. Not sure what that is for.

2. A pink or pinkish brown wire at the wiper motor that comes out with the orange trans kickdown wire that connects to the transmission. Not sure what the pink wire goes too.

3. The TCS switch (green w/ white stripe) that gets hooked into the pass side head. Is this required on an automatic? I have read this is only for a manual.

4. On the pass side prior to the starter wires, there is a green w/ white stripe and pink wire that go into a plug with a black boot. Not sure if this is for an AC unit or another option I don't have.

Again, these were not hooked up to my old harness so I'm not sure what they go too.

Lastly, I hooked up the starter interlock system. How does this work? I have the four wires going into the relay but they do not tough each other and there is not a box with the pushbutton switch to override the system. I don't see how four separate wires in a plastic relay can do anything. It only has a black plastic cover that goes over the orange relay to protect the terminals from dirt.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Scott,

What year and model is it?

As a general comment, grab yourself a wiring diagram from Doc Rebuild. It includes the colored wiring diagram but more importantly, shows all of the plugs and connectors. Makes figuring this stuff out pretty easy.

One that I can answer now is the TCS switch. It's for auto's as well as 4 speeds. At least on 73s it is.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Sorry, 1974 automatic transmission.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...or-anyone.html
Old 10-25-2011, 02:12 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Update on wires if anyone needs to know.
1. Anti-theft alarm switch
2. Carb Idle Solenoid
3. TSC Temp Switch
4. TCS Solenoid

Got a wiring diagram from docrebuild. Easy to read each wire. Should help this weekend when I put in the headlamp harness.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Wire Harness Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Wire Harness Question