C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:36 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Default Ignition Switch Adjustment?

I'm having trouble getting the ignition switch in my '73 w/ Tilt/Tele adjusted properly throughout the range of motion of the tilt mechanism.

If I adjust the switch such that I can start the car with the steering wheel tilted in any position, then I can't get the switch into the accessory position throughout the range of tilt.

If I adjust the switch such that the accessory position works throughout the range of tilt, then I can't start the car with the steering wheel tilted full up.

The switch appears to be original to the car. I'm wondering if it needs replacing or if this is an issue with the rod and linkage from the lock cylinder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DC

Last edited by DC3; 10-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You didn't mention how you reach the attaching screws to be able to adjust the ignition switch. I assume that you are dropping the column down from the dash in order to gain access to the screws. Just be careful that you aren't stressing the lower end of the column by letting the column "hang" under the dash with no support.

This paper expains the adjustment procedure and even explains how to remove the steering column from your car.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev09ja2010.pdf

One last observation: There are actually five ignition switch positions; START, RUN, OFF, OFF-LOCK, and ACCESSORY. You need to set the position of the switch with both the switch and the steering column in the OFF position.

The paper explains how to make the adjustment.

The position of the tilt head should not make a difference in being able to start the car. I have heard of a broken rack having a section broken out such that turning the ignition key only worked when the column was tilted at a particular position. (Your description of the problem doesn't sound like a broken rack.)

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 10-28-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
You didn't mention how you reach the attaching screws to be able to adjust the ignition switch.Jim
I've gotten very proficient at removing the steering column from the car but in this case I can access the ignition switch screws without dropping the column although I do loosen the column attachment bolts to make it a bit easier. I do not let the column hang.

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
The position of the tilt head should not make a difference in being able to start the car.Jim
That's what I thought and it is strange to me that I can't dial in the switch setting to allow for both start and accessory positions throughout the range of motion of the tilt mechanism. Everything else works as it should.

I wonder if the rod could be bent and thereby limiting travel of the switch?

I have to pull the column again to do some work behind the dash. I may just replace the switch while I'm at it and go through your adjustment procedure to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

DC
Old 10-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I would suggest trying to adjust your current switch using the OFF position of the switch and the steering column to find the correct relationship between the two components. If you can't adjust it to the correct feel with the column out of the car, then replace the switch.

Jim
Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Ended up replacing the switch. Never could get the original switch adjusted perfectly. It looks to be gunked up. I'll take it apart, clean and lube it and then keep it for a spare.

By the way, the instructions that came with the replacement switch (Napa Echlin KS6622 ~ $20), said that for Tilt/Tele columns to use the accessory position when installing. They did say to use the Off-Unlock position for Standard columns.

I used the accessory position and got it right the first time.

DC
Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I still like rotating the ignition key CCW to the positive stop between OFF and OFF-LOCK in the steering column (lower lever on the column full UP on '69 through 76 columns or the finger inhibitor not triggered on '77 through 82 columns).

Then two clicks of the ignition switch (from ACCESSORY to OFF-LOCK to OFF) as a good point for synchronizing the ignition switch to the column (T&T or standard).

But other positions (i.e. ACCESSORY) would be acceptable as well. I fail to see the difference between an adjustable column or a standard in terms of synchronizing the two.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Switch Adjustment?

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Adjustment?