C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess this is a technical question-Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 PM
oldchev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I guess this is a technical question-Gaskets

What do you believe is the best way to gasket certain mating surfaces. The ones I'm thinking of right now are the timing cover and the oil pan. Options might be something like this, plain gasket, cork, paper, neoprene, gasket with permatex, gasket with RTV, or just plain RTV, this would be in a C-3 vintage car.
Thanks,
Dave.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

This is a great oil pan gasket right here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-OS34510T/

Scott
Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by scottyp99

Scott
I used the FelPro one piece to do the oil pan on my F150. Sealed it right up. We'll be doing my boy's Dakota oil pan this weekend with a Felpro one piece.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Mako72
I used the FelPro one piece to do the oil pan on my F150. Sealed it right up. We'll be doing my boy's Dakota oil pan this weekend with a Felpro one piece.

I've been a long time member of the FelPro congregation. A bit more expensive, but worth it when it comes to not having leaks.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

I've got away with using cheap gaskets then I've got nailed with using them also at bad times.
So I try to use Felpro at all cost especially head gaskets!
I like cork valve cover gaskets, I seal them to the head only and not the valve cover, but timing chain, water neck and oil pan, I coat both sides with ultra copper but I have heard they stopped making it so I might have to adapt to the ultra black type.
Head gaskets get noting but two dry surfaces.

Last edited by Tim H; 10-31-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:26 PM
gofastvette
Racer

Originally Posted by scottyp99

Scott
its a Felpro gasket...... and a very good one available in most auto parts stores
Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 PM
oldchev
Instructor

Default Felpro gasket

In the pic from Summit of the Felpro one piece oil pan gasket, what are the 4 blue thingies there in the middle? Look like plastic plugs.
Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer your question as simply as possible...
Anymore I use only one kind of sealer on engines...Permatex GREY Hi-Temp RTV. It is FAR SUPERIOR to ANYTHING else that is commonly commercially available. If I was into stealing from my employer I would use MIL-S-8802 polysulfide aircraft sealant but that is not commercially available. Permatex Grey RTV is the next best thing that I have found-I'm 53 and I have built a few motors over the years. I have tried them ALL, and this stuff is the most versatile, effective, multi-purpose engine gasket sealer that I have yet found. On oil pans, I glue the rail gaskets to the block with a thin bead of 3M yellow weatherstrip cement after carefully trimming the ends with a razor blade to make sure that the end seals fit properly, then put a small bead of Grey RTV all around the pan itself, then mount the pan. As for valve covers, I glue the (cork) gaskets onto the [straight,flat] covers with 3M weatherstrip cement and install them dry onto the heads just snugly enough to ensure there are no gaps, which can be checked with a .0015" feeler gage. For intake manifolds, a very thin bead of Grey RTV works well around the port openings and water passages, and a large bead at either end takes the place of the rubber or cork end seals that normally come with the kit. Water pump, timing cover, Tstat housing, just use the Grey RTV on both sides of the gasket. The one-piece pan gaskets are nice, but I've had very good success using this method...as you can see there are a number of opinions here, but in my experience this is the best way to keep the two biggest leak sources-oil pan and valve covers-under control.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I use Permatex "Right Stuff" which isn't silicone based but a rubber RTV compound. The RS comes in black or grey colors, I recently used it on a differential overhaul of a 12 bolt and it went back into service, 30 minutes after laying the beads down. It has been about a month .and no leaks so far. Right Stuff is AMAZING! RTV silicone would have never worked that fast.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldchev
In the pic from Summit of the Felpro one piece oil pan gasket, what are the 4 blue thingies there in the middle? Look like plastic plugs.
Thanks.

Those hold the pan in place while you get the bolts on. Helpful so the pan/gasket do not twist out of place.

Rubber and head gaskerts I put on clean/dry surface. paper/cork get a very small amount of ultra silicone on both sides then installed.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Definitely use the one piece pan gasket. Happiness is not seeing spots on the garage floor.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:14 PM
ezekeal2517
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing my intake manifold gaskets today and have had mixed messages about putting RTV on with my new Felpro gaskets around the water ports and bolt holes.

Sorry for pirating this thread but i didnt want to start a new one just for this question. I have the black RTV that came with the gasket kit from Summit Racing.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:19 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

New threads are OK

FelPro gaskets don't require sealant around the water passages or the bolt holes. The bolts do require thread sealant. The FelPro likely didn't come with valley seal gaskets, but if it did you don't want to use them - just a bead of RTV with a "goober" of RTV at the 4 corners of the gaskets - then smooth the seam with a wet finger for a professional finish.

I put a very, very light smear of RTV around the water ports on the heads...but honestly it's just an old habit...

Get notified of new replies

To I guess this is a technical question-Gaskets

Quick Reply: I guess this is a technical question-Gaskets