C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R&R of Ignition Switch for '74

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R&R of Ignition Switch for '74

Hi, for the vette I bought that had sat for 20 years, the key has always been stuck in the switch. So,I took the column apart last night - but couldn't get the switch out. Is there a button that I need to push in order to release it? also, my car has air conditioning and has plastic ducting over the bottom of the column - is there a good technique for removing the ducting so I can drop the column? Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You need to push in on the locking tab on the inside end of the cylinder. Then it should slide out.

Jim Shea's drawing here shows the locking tab:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1568584606-post4.html
Old 11-02-2011, 12:24 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

I'll try that, thanks. BTW, I was able to view the gears rotate as I turn the key, and I could see that the reason the key won't turn to the off position is because its running out of gears. So, hopefully I can rotate the gear back to its correct interface with the cylinder.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I think your problem is the steering column/transmission shift interlock system. You have a cable coming from the transmission that should attach to a lever sticking out of the lower end of the steering column.

Go out under the hood and look under the brake master cylinder. You should see the end of the steering column sticking out of the dash. There will be a lever sticking out from the end of the steering column on the engine side. Remove the cotter pin, washer, and the end of the cable. Now manually lift the lever until it is all the way in the UP position. (If you could view the lever from the driver seat, it would be roughly at the 1 0'clock position.)

Now with the lever all the way UP, go back inside the car and try to rotate the ignition key to OFF-LOCK and remove your key.

More on this subject if the above instructions work.
Jim
Old 11-02-2011, 01:05 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

thanks Jim, I sure hope that will do it. I'll give it a try this evening after work.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:06 AM
ClassicG
Advanced

Wow. Jim it worked! I did what you said and the key works now. I really appreciated the help.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Now you have to figure out why the cable doesn't push the lever to the UP position. Cable could be disconnected. Cable could be corroded. Lever and shift tube inside the column could be corroded. Here is a paper on everything you ever wanted to know (or more) on the GM steering column/transmission shift interlock system. (It was only used on Corvettes from 1969 through 1976.)

Here is the address:
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=928

Jim
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

thanks again. I'll check that out asap. BTW, in the process of removing the steering column parts to get to the ignition (which in hindsight was not needed), I broke the circular orange plastic part. I'm not sure what its purpose is. I can send you pics of the broken pieces. If you recall this part, do you know who sells a new replacement part?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Hi, I posted a picture of the orange plastic part that broke in my steering column.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't see any picture posted. However, I think that you are refering to this c-clip retainer part. It typically becomes brittle with age and will break into serveral pieces even if you carefully try to remove it.

The part is no longer available through GM dealers. But most suppliers that support this site sell the part.

Even though it is called a retainer, it also serves to insulate the locking plate from touching the big telescope spring. If the two come in contact the horn will blow.

Jim
Old 11-05-2011, 12:17 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

I was able to krazy glue the orange plastic retainer back together and the horn button works well.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 PM
71bbc
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 71 ignition lock

Hi...trying to remove my ignition cylinder (lost keys) on 71 4spd. Unfortunately, I put it in reverse and ignition in lock position last time (5 years ago!) and we lost the keys after that. I removed the interlock cable, steering wheel and everything behind it to this point (pictured). Now I just don't know how to release the cylinder. looks like there's a rod (marked with red in picture) hold the whole aluminum piece. How can I release this??Any help highly appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2016, 10:20 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Another member found the slot here:

Get notified of new replies

To R&R of Ignition Switch for '74

Quick Reply: R&R of Ignition Switch for '74