C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Intercooler Install

I'm going to build a 25" x 6" air damn that will force air into the cooler at a 45 degree angle.

http://motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31940

Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

MMM Plumbing ****!

You did a nice job cramming all that pipework in there. Too bad the intake run (between the i/c and the carb) couldn't be routed in front of or around the radiator. Very nice!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by enkeivette
I'm going to build a 25" x 6" air damn that will force air into the cooler at a 45 degree angle.

http://motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31940

Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 PM
MrForce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Many years ago a customer brought us a slammed truck with a Vortech and an intercooler that was parallel to the ground. It had a lip spoiler at the back edge of the core. The EFI tune was rich with almost no timing. Leaning it out and/or advancing the timing caused instant detonation. Moving the air temp sensor around proved the intercooler was worthless as installed. It seems the air would go around the spoiler rather than through the core.

We cut a hole in the front bumper (fiberglass) and built a duct down to the intercooler and moved the spoiler the the front edge of the core. The intercooler became so effective we were able to lean the curve, add timing, and eventually drop a pulley size for more boost.

If the above is over the top, consider a scoop rather than just a spoiler.

My .02

Rob
Old 11-03-2011, 12:43 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been thinking about a scoop, or a fan. Any pics for me for inspiration?

The way I would build the dam it would be more like a scoop than a dam, like I said it would extend 6" from the back of the cooler, and at a 45 degree angle from it. But I guess adding a second bend in the dam and extending to make a scoop might funnel in more air.

Btw, the intercooler is actually at a 20 degree angle. It's not flat.

Originally Posted by MrForce
Many years ago a customer brought us a slammed truck with a Vortech and an intercooler that was parallel to the ground. It had a lip spoiler at the back edge of the core. The EFI tune was rich with almost no timing. Leaning it out and/or advancing the timing caused instant detonation. Moving the air temp sensor around proved the intercooler was worthless as installed. It seems the air would go around the spoiler rather than through the core.

We cut a hole in the front bumper (fiberglass) and built a duct down to the intercooler and moved the spoiler the the front edge of the core. The intercooler became so effective we were able to lean the curve, add timing, and eventually drop a pulley size for more boost.

If the above is over the top, consider a scoop rather than just a spoiler.

My .02

Rob
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need instructions, more pics,etc. Wow, look at that plumbing! Work of art. would like to install air dam also, just not that much pipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Intercooler Install

Quick Reply: Intercooler Install