C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 04:54 AM
bluevette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!!

Finally have the Hooker sidemount headers, sidepipes and JCL baffles for my vette. So what's the first thing I do...break off one of the manifold bolts. :mad It seemed like so much fun the first time that I went ahead and broke off another one while I was in there. Had a friend over today to try and help me get this straight. We drilled one out and retapped the hole. But the other one, my buddy broke off an easy out in there. I must have gone through 10 drill bits today and have hardly scratched the surface. Can someone tell me about a specific type of drill bit to use on this little project? I've broken black oxide bits, titanium bits and a few others and not having much luck. I'm just about frustrated enough to try my luck with only five bolts on that side, but would rather not. Anyone got any ideas for me? I'm at the end of my rope and want to have my sidepipes on.

John
Old 05-06-2002, 10:02 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!! (bluevette)

Ive done it as well, and yeah, it sucks, but its not that bad once you drill the bolt. The key is go with a very hard drill bit, as the bolt, depending on grade, is very hard. Ask the dealer for the hardest bits they have.

You are lucky you have a bolt that is accessable in the first place. I had to rent a 90 degree drill, and with it, I could just get to the offending bolt from underneath the car. Beats having to lift the motor up.

Use a hard bit drill, patience, and it will come out. While you are at it, dont forget penetrating oil

Old 05-06-2002, 03:14 PM
bluevette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!! (MELVIN)

MELVIN,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I was a little lucky that both bolts that broke off were on the passenger side in the middle. I've already bought a right angle pneumatic drill because of this and lots of drill bits. I'm going to look around some more today to see if I can find a better drill bit.

John
Old 05-06-2002, 03:24 PM
Koz

Default Re: F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!! (bluevette)

I thought that titanium bits where the hardest you could get.. Drilling out a bolt is one thing.. drilling out one of the taps is another..which you already know.. I thought someone said you could weld a new head onto the bolt.. Using a wire welder you build up the head.. The heat of the weld also loosen up the bolt.. I've never done this but wondering if it would work.. Getting in there to weld it is another problem..
Old 05-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Kingt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!! (Koz)

If you have the equipment this may work, I've used it in the past. If you can get to it weld a piece of metal to the bolt, the heat will aid in removal. Use the metal piece to turn the bolt. I know it's a long shot!

Hooah :flag
Old 05-06-2002, 07:02 PM

Default Re: F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!! (Kingt)

You may have to use a small hand grinder with a oval mounted stone and grind the easyout. If you screw up the hole you can drill and tap it for a thread insert. A cobalt drill bit is your best bet if you want to try to drill it but the easy-out is hard. Never use an easy-out they very seldom work. I always drill the hole to the tap drill size and run a tap in it. Start with a small drill and work your way up. Some times the threads will collapse and you can pull them out. If you need an isert let me know i have some. Good luck. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!!

Quick Reply: F@#$^%G broken header bolt!!!