C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 LS1-T56 Turbocharged Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:20 AM
User-C3
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Did a couple sketches of the car
Attached Images   
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 AM
User-C3
Instructor

and another photo just because
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
427tripower (04-24-2020)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:17 PM
User-C3
Instructor

made some changes..

sold the huge hood, it was just too big and not ideal for visibility while driving on road course and auto-x, plus I couldnt stand people always saying corvette summer. I ended up going with an L88 hood skin and did pin on. Opened up the vent area to let some heat out. main reason I wanted to go pin on was to be able to make a closeout panel for the rad. I was able to sell the old hood and cover the cost of the new L88 skin and a new fiberglass front bumper. win win.

Because of the new hood I was forced to reroute the tubing to the intercooler. Not ideal but a much cleaner execution that I am pleased with.
Attached Images     

Last edited by User-C3; 10-17-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:22 PM
User-C3
Instructor

Also found coolant on top of the valves. I knew I needed to upgrade the topend but had no motivation until I had the visual. So I did it right. 317 heads, LS9 gaskets, Texas Speed dual valve springs with titanium retainers, comp pushrods, and 12 point ARP studs. While I had it off I smoothed the intake manifold and painted a few bits to black everything out. Also added some gold heat reflection to help control temps.
Attached Images       
Old 10-17-2017, 02:27 PM
User-C3
Instructor

Made a sweet score on the heads, picked them up for $120 and the guy gave me a brand new oil pan, pickup tube, windage tray and dipstick with them. Ended up selling all the extra stuff for $150
The only downside was there was a casting flaw in the form of what looked like a crack in one of the heads. I didnt trust it so I ground it all the way down till it wasnt there anymore and then welded it back up. I used a few techniques of hand sanding it down and then an engineers straight edge to check flatness.
Attached Images    
Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM
User-C3
Instructor

couple more photos of the car. I am also working on some top of fender vents that will let out some heat from the engine bay.
Attached Images     

Last edited by User-C3; 10-17-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:33 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by User-C3
Some shots of the car just to give a good look...

Attachment 48183365

Attachment 48183366
Reviving for Hood Identification.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this hood is. Exactly what I've had in mind for my setup for a year or so now. Most bada$$ hood I've ever seen.

Maybe it's a one off custom? If so, can someone help me figure out where to get those vents?

-Stroke

Last edited by Strokemyaxe; 12-07-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:28 AM
LINY Kevin
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Love this build and your work. It was a great Saturday night read. Any new updates?

May I ask what are you doing to notch your tubing? I haven't found many effective cheap solutions.

Last edited by LINY Kevin; 04-26-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:15 AM
User-C3
Instructor

Reviving for Hood Identification.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this hood is. Exactly what I've had in mind for my setup for a year or so now. Most bada$$ hood I've ever seen.

Maybe it's a one off custom? If so, can someone help me figure out where to get those vents?

-Stroke
I really dont know anything about that hood. I had randomly found it for sale on craigslist and it had been hanging in some guys garage for years who also didn't know anything about it. I believe it could of been a one off but it was very well made so its hard to say. I did some looking for quite some time when I bought it and never found anything. The closest I could find is a high rise that has the same double rise type of look but without the vents on the passenger side.

Love this build and your work. It was a great Saturday night read. Any new updates?

May I ask what are you doing to notch your tubing? I haven't found many effective cheap solutions.
Thanks. I started a new thread on the car. There are lots of things that have happened and are in the works. Big changes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ajor-mods.html

To notch my tubes I had been using a harbor freight notcher. They work just fine if you take the time to adjust them and make them a little more accurate and solid. The bushings for the drill shaft are the real issue with them, otherwise there isnt much difference in a high dollar notcher in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
LINY Kevin (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:36 AM
LINY Kevin
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by User-C3
I really dont know anything about that hood. I had randomly found it for sale on craigslist and it had been hanging in some guys garage for years who also didn't know anything about it. I believe it could of been a one off but it was very well made so its hard to say. I did some looking for quite some time when I bought it and never found anything. The closest I could find is a high rise that has the same double rise type of look but without the vents on the passenger side.

Thanks. I started a new thread on the car. There are lots of things that have happened and are in the works. Big changes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ajor-mods.html

To notch my tubes I had been using a harbor freight notcher. They work just fine if you take the time to adjust them and make them a little more accurate and solid. The bushings for the drill shaft are the real issue with them, otherwise there isnt much difference in a high dollar notcher in my opinion.
Awesome thanks for the info. I see you bent up some stainless tubing also.... Do you have a bender like one of those JD2's or did you find another cheap alternative?
Old 04-28-2020, 02:47 PM
User-C3
Instructor

I have an Eastwood electric hydraulic tubing bender.

Quick Reply: 78 LS1-T56 Turbocharged Build