C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at '71 LT-1 and have questions, please look!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM
TSAGG
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Looking at '71 LT-1 and have questions, please look!

I am looking at a '71 LT-1 and went to see it this past weekend. I have two immediate issues that I would like some feedback on.

1) the front bumper has issues on one side, that is obvious. The car was restored about 9 years ago to NCRS standards as reported by the current owner, and the appraisal done at its completion. So in other words this is a quality car. So to think they CHOSE to have the bumper this way after a restoration is not adding up to me. SEE PICS. The bumper end is clearly bent and the use of washers to fill the space is not going to fly. I'd need to replace the entire front bumper it would seem. Thoughts?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

2) are the side windows and windshield original or atleast code correct? SEE PICS

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The windshield is not the same as mine. The side glass looks the same but mine has astro ventilation on the front of the glass.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the bumper and glass are the only concerns, I would say go for it.

The bumper is a easy replace , have some $$$ deducted if possible to purchase a GM restoration bumper.

The Glass, I would try to learn to live with that.

Just be sure to check the car thourghly, please note, as I understand, the NCRS does not attempt to determine if the car is an original LT-1

If the work meets their standards the car scores well.

David

Last edited by dmayhew; 11-09-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Front glass is definitly not right. Are there any signs of front panel replacement? Maybe the fender is not correct and the bumper is OK. Check both.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe also that the glass is not OE correct, however I'd learn to live with it if I liked teh car. As far as the bumper, the right front of C3's are notorious for bumps and bruises because it was always hard to see over the fender. The washers tell me that there is something other than just a bend in the bumper - imagine taking those washers out, the bumper would hit the front of the car. There is more than just a bumper needed - could be easy and low cost or .........
Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi TS,
I believe the side widow glass code 'IN' indicates it was produced in June of 1971 which would mean it would go into a car with quite a late model year 71 build, or early 72 model year build date.
As has been said, the logo on the windshield indicates a replacement windshield. There are reproduction windshields that have a more typical logo, and an appropriate for production date code, etched on them.
I believe there is a bit of difference in saying a car has been restored to NCRS standards, and saying the car has been Flight Judged at some level with the result given.
I also believe that NCRS judges do put a good bit of effort into determining if a car presented for judging as an LT-!, left St. Louis as an LT-!.
Lastly, some reproduction bumpers fit quite poorly, but that one looks to me to have other problems too. What is the bumper fit across the entire width of the front of the hood surround?
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi TS,
I believe the side widow glass code 'IN' indicates it was produced in June of 1971 which would mean it would go into a car with quite a late model year 71 build, or early 72 model year build date.
As has been said, the logo on the windshield indicates a replacement windshield. There are reproduction windshields that have a more typical logo, and an appropriate for production date code, etched on them.
I believe there is a bit of difference in saying a car has been restored to NCRS standards, and saying the car has been Flight Judged at some level with the result given.
I also believe that NCRS judges do put a good bit of effort into determining if a car presented for judging as an LT-!, left St. Louis as an LT-!.
Lastly, some reproduction bumpers fit quite poorly, but that one looks to me to have other problems too. What is the bumper fit across the entire width of the front of the hood surround?
Regards,
Alan
That says it LT-! all.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Lt-1

I highly recommend that you have an expert take a look. Get it up on lift.

It may cost a few bucks but better than making a very costly mistake.

If it is a real LT-1 you will have a blast!

Bill
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The front bumpers on these cars are a bear to put on if the car is a no hit car. I put my bumpers back on my car after a repaint and it was a job. As others have said a new bumper may not fix the problem. If that had been my car I would have finished the job by buying a new bumper if that was all that was wrong with the car.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 AM
TSAGG
Racer

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Regarding the bumper, I did not think that there could be an issue with the body itself as nothing obvious told me that it was ever hit up front, but you never know.

The windshield I was positive was not original, thank you confirming. The side glass was Astro Ventilation and seems to be original.

I have a detailed checklist to identify a fake LT-1 and and 99% certain it is real.

I have sent three emails to regional NCRS folks to acompany me on my next visit of the car to help get a more experienced opinion. Thus far no takers. If any forum members are in the Albany/Newburgh region of NY and want to go over the car with me, I'll pay you for your time!

The current owner has many cars in a warehouse and has a lift so I would imagine getting it up would not be an issue as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:00 AM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe it's upside down and out of alignment.

When they restored the car, did they recharge or replace the bumper?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 AM
TSAGG
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilaScott
Maybe it's upside down and out of alignment.

When they restored the car, did they recharge or replace the bumper?
Not sure. Current owner didn't seem to know but I am trying to get more information.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

I would figure out how many points the car is and then offer them a price minus that %.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
Because of the brackets for the bumperettes, the front bumper can't be installed up-side down.
That would have been a nice solution though.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi TS,
If you have the VIN you might consider contacting Drew Papsun in Connecticut. He has an extensive LT-! survey he's compiled over many years so MAY be able to tell you something about this car.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
TSAGG
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi TS,
If you have the VIN you might consider contacting Drew Papsun in Connecticut. He has an extensive LT-! survey he's compiled over many years so MAY be able to tell you something about this car.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Interesting! That is who I am emailing with to help me out.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:59 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

My thinking is if he spent enough to restore it to "NCRS" standards he would have simply got another bumper. Gut feeling is that cars been smacked before. (what other bubba fixes are there)
If you arent paying NCRS price then maybe it wont matter but def. take it to a frame shop and have it checked or someone that knows what to look for.
Tread carefully
Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi TS,
Drew certainly knows a bit about LT-! cars.
It would be a good thing if you could get his opinion of the car you're looking at.
Again, Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at '71 LT-1 and have questions, please look!

Quick Reply: Looking at '71 LT-1 and have questions, please look!