C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup lights & interior lights flickering....why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Backup lights & interior lights flickering....why?

I noticed last night as I was backing into my garage, the backup lights were flickering (not on-&-off, just flickering). As I was getting out, with the engine running and the transmission in park, the interior lights (under the dash in front) were also flickering (both like the element inside were loose). Here are some facts: 1) I use the battery tender about 2-3 times a week to insure the battery is fully charged. 2) I checked the alternator output while the engine was running: 13.89 volts. 3) I checked the battery: 13 volts.

Not sure what the problem is. The engine has a nice cam so there's a lope in the engine during idle (still idles at 700 rpm in drive....nice). I did notice that when I rev the engine just a little (900-1000) the flickering slows down and almost disappears. I checked all the bulb connections...all tight.

Is my alternator heading south?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 PM
cfs83
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Answer to your post

ever find out why your lights were flickering at idle? i am running into the same issue after i got my intake, headers, exhaust and tune completed....any help is much appreciated. thx
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesnt necessarily mean that you're alternator is heading south.. Most alternators charge at full capacity at around 2000 RPMs. If you notice, the lights are flickering to the beat of your engine.. It might not hurt to bump up the idle speed a notch if it bothers you that much..
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Usually the regulator.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 PM
cfs83
Navigator

it is odd bc they weren't flickering after i got the intake ,headers, high flow cats, exhaust, and tune...i then decided to get the off-road x pipe put on and the idle seemed more choppy and the flickering started. any thoughts? or just coincidence and the voltage reg/alternator is going bad? does the car need to be re-tuned to reset the idle, drivability characteristics, fuel delivery, etc if i threw on the o/r x pipe?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Look at your electrical schematic, see what else is on the circuit with the back-up lights.
Could be just a fuse going bad
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 PM
cfs83
Navigator

all lights flicker at idle then stop when throttle is applied. only started after i put the off road x pipe on after i had the car tuned with intake, headers, high flow catted x pipe, exhaust. would an off road x pipe getting installed after i put the mods on and tune cause this?

Get notified of new replies

To Backup lights & interior lights flickering....why?

Quick Reply: Backup lights & interior lights flickering....why?