C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein Sport Shocks vs. KYB vs. Delco vs. Monroe

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Sport Shocks vs. KYB vs. Delco vs. Monroe

Are Bilstein Sport Shocks that much better that KYB Shocks, Delco Reactec or the Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks? I have an 81 that is used as a daily driver. It has KYB shocks right now. I have no idea how old they are. What is an average life of a typical shock? Like most owners, I want the car to feel, drive and respond as a race car. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My '80 is a daily driver with pretty stiff monosprings front and back. I just switched from KYB to Bilstein Sports two weeks ago. I noticed a big difference right away, expecially in sprited turns. The Bilsteins keep the tires attached to the pavement much better than the KYBs, expecially with a rough and patched surface. You just have to decide if you they are worth the extra $$ for that handling and ride.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Right you are MN80Vette. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All the shocks you mentioned are very good, but hard to go wrong with Bilsteins, as really built to last. The Delco and Monroe tracs have internal pop off valves, essentially taking the shocks out of the equation momentarily when hitting sharp bumps for a smoother ride.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Bilsteins are far better than the other mentioned shocks. Edelbrock shocks are pretty good as are Koni's. Then if you really want to spend $$ there are always Penske/Motion/Ohlins shocks.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Scott1980
Intermediate

This will not be much help, but went from Monroe's to Bilstein sports. Also changed to rear fiberglass verse metal leaf and new 460lb front coils at the same time. Huge improvement over the Monroe's, but not sure how long the Monroe's had been on there? Dampening was a huge improvement with Bilstein's.

It is a bit of a struggle deciding which shock as very few people try all the shocks with the remainder of the suspension the same, in order to give you an accurate response as to the performance differences of each. I went with Bilstein's because of their reputation and positive experiences of members on this site. I also run Bilstein's on my dually and am happy.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

My choice for the rear, to complement a #330 VBP composite spring, was their VBP218 shock (a KYB GR-2 product) expressly designed for a composite spring. They claim for their springs only but I cannot see why it would not work with other composites. I was sceptical that KYB would design/tune for a single company but indeed the part number (VBP218) is stamped right into the steel body. I am very pleased with the VBP spring/shock combo. I do not have experience with Bilsteins.

As they are the sponsor of this Forum a link would not seem out of order.

http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...ear-Shock.html
Old 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Paul: Glad your happy with the composite spring/kyb. I tried that combo years ago and found the bounce to be horrible. Yes, I did get the "special" KYBs for composite springs.

My current favorite is the late C3 2.5" steel spring with bilstein shocks. Good ride, good handling, no bounce.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Paul: Glad your happy with the composite spring/kyb. I tried that combo years ago and found the bounce to be horrible. Yes, I did get the "special" KYBs for composite springs.

My current favorite is the late C3 2.5" steel spring with bilstein shocks. Good ride, good handling, no bounce.
Strangely I do not get a bounce?? Perhaps some mods have been made to the product line over time.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:35 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Could well be. This was many years ago, when the re-valved GR2s just came out.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Have owned my 78 L-82 4 Speed with the sport suspension since 1983 and have had AC Delcos, Koni oil shocks, KYB Gas A Just (not the Gr-2's which I do not like- a standard passenger car Shock/Strut), Bilstein Heavy Duties and Bilstein Sports over 33 years!I changed to the KYB Gas A Justs with the 7 leaf steel rear spring in 1983 and they were much superior to the OEM declos. In 1986, replaced the steel rear spring with a VBP 360 monospring (still there and doing great!) with the KYB gas a justs-VERY bouncy. Switched to Bilstein HD's in the early 2000's-GIGANTIC improvement in ride and better handling but still felt a little too bouncy for me. Currently I run Bilstein Sports in the rear and Bilstein HD's in the front with the 550 springs-Perfect compromise between ride and excellent handling.

The Bilsteins are far superior to the other shocks on my car! Also put 6 Bilsteins on my 1994 Mustang GT (4 in the rear) and the Bilstein transformed the cars ride from VERY choppy to smooth-They are worth every penny that they cost!

I also have KYB GR-2 struts on a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix and to be honest, I think that they are crap (very soft) and inferior to the AC delco's that came on the car but I basically use the car as a train Station/Airport car for business so they have stayed on the car.

Hope that helps you!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Thanks Guys!! I have the "Bouncy" feeling too. From what you guys have expressed, I believe the Bilsteins are my best bet. Thanks again for the advice.

Mark
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I have Bilstein HD's on my 80 daily driver with stock Gymkhana suspension that I am rebuilding as money allows. Not as stiff as Sport version, but great for daily driving and the occasional spirited outings. I really like them over the Monroe's that I took off.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

16 years ago I put on VBP 460 front and 360 plastic rear springs....

KYB all around.....down here in FLORIDA we are basically one big drag strip, and the bridges tend to undulate at any speeds.....

and so I finally listened to the guys here and replaced the then best bet KYB with Willi Steins all around, now I can drive over the Rocky Mountains and not feel a thing.....

nuff said.....
Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

bgeen there done that... back to back test... Bilstein Sports all the way

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...yb-sports.html
Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So what does everyone recommend, Bilstein HD's or Sport shocks? I mostly cruise but will autocross the vette every now and then. Are the sport shocks really that more harsh than the HD's?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 AM
V8Ranger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 82 was VERY 'bouncy' when I got it, but the part store brand shocks on it were completely inop. I installed Bilstein Sports (all 4) - no bounce and it rides just fine.

Carl

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstein Sport Shocks vs. KYB vs. Delco vs. Monroe

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
So what does everyone recommend, Bilstein HD's or Sport shocks? I mostly cruise but will autocross the vette every now and then. Are the sport shocks really that more harsh than the HD's?
go Sports... ride is amazing
Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Luke in SA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK.. Who stocks these Bilstein sports shocks ?

Willcox ?
Jegs ?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke in SA
OK.. Who stocks these Bilstein sports shocks ?

Willcox ?
Jegs ?
The best price I found was online at e-Shocks. They were in stock and shipped the same day. Don't order online, call them instead, because they have problems with their online orders sometimes.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Sport Shocks vs. KYB vs. Delco vs. Monroe