C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only one point sparking on Mallory Dual Point

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:27 PM
cokerintennessee
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Only one point sparking on Mallory Dual Point

Car is 1970, 454 with Mallory Dual Point with Mech Tach drive. Having an issue with my Mallory Dual Point Mech Tach distributor. Only can get one of the points to spark. Switched contact wires thinking it might be a broken wire, but when those wire were switched the same point sparked. Replace points thinking had a bad point but same results. Have not changed out condenser. I hate to go to an electronic distributor especially with the mech tach. What suggestions does anyone have?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by cokerintennessee
Car is 1970, 454 with Mallory Dual Point with Mech Tach drive. Having an issue with my Mallory Dual Point Mech Tach distributor. Only can get one of the points to spark. Switched contact wires thinking it might be a broken wire, but when those wire were switched the same point sparked. Replace points thinking had a bad point but same results. Have not changed out condenser. I hate to go to an electronic distributor especially with the mech tach. What suggestions does anyone have?
Despite my complete disdain for anything Mallory or dual point, I'll bite. When you say one set of points "sparks", what do you mean? I'm familiar with how dual points work, but I want to make sure I'm following your vernacular.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

call Mallory and get a unilite conversion. Mallory makes an excelllent product and the unilite will make maintenance easy. the condenser is likely bad.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 PM
cokerintennessee
Intermediate

There are two points in the distributor. When you crank the motor you can see only one of the points have a spark across the open point. Hope that explains it. Can't figure out why only one of the points sparks.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM
cokerintennessee
Intermediate

Thank you for your post. I will certainly check into that. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

There are two points in the distributor. When you crank the motor you can see only one of the points have a spark across the open point. Hope that explains it. Can't figure out why only one of the points sparks.
For most of the dwell the points are in parallel. One set (closes and) starts the dwell, then the other set closes. Primary current is then flowing through both. At roughly 80-90% dwell time the first points set opens (while the second set is still closed). Because the first set doesn't interrupt the primary current there's no flyback voltage trying to cause a spark across the points. The second set of points interrupts the primary current (initiating the ignition at the plug). It's the second set that has the hard job. It has to carry more current than the first set, and it has to deal with the coil flyback voltage.

So, may I ask, is it the second set that's arcing?

Last edited by 69427; 12-17-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:31 AM
cokerintennessee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 69427
For most of the dwell the points are in parallel. One set (closes and) starts the dwell, then the other set closes. Primary current is then flowing through both. At roughly 80-90% dwell time the first points set opens (while the second set is still closed). Because the first set doesn't interrupt the primary current there's no flyback voltage trying to cause a spark across the points. The second set of points interrupts the primary current (initiating the ignition at the plug). It's the second set that has the hard job. It has to carry more current than the first set, and it has to deal with the coil flyback voltage.

So, may I ask, is it the second set that's arcing?
Yes that is correct.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Contributor

Yes that is correct.
Okay, now that we're on the same page, I would agree with 79L82 that you should check the condenser. It's the condenser's job to temporarily absorb the primary current when the second points set opens to prevent the flyback voltage from causing arcing of those points.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 PM
cokerintennessee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 69427
Okay, now that we're on the same page, I would agree with 79L82 that you should check the condenser. It's the condenser's job to temporarily absorb the primary current when the second points set opens to prevent the flyback voltage from causing arcing of those points.
Perfect! Runs great.......now.

But I think I will do more research on the electronic conversion. I've only put 102 miles on the car in the last 3 years and this is the second issue I've had with the points.

Thanks again for all your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Only one point sparking on Mallory Dual Point

Quick Reply: Only one point sparking on Mallory Dual Point