C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was your worst speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 08:01 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was your worst speeding ticket?

Mine was for driving 78 in a 45. It was one of those little small towns, aka speed traps. Was driving faster earlier, around 85. It was a 2-lane road each direction. The highway patrol officer was an older guy, maybe in his fifties, and here he had this young "punk"(was 21 at the time). Did he cut me slack - NO WAY. I was polite, admitted being wrong, and did not try to make excuses. Outcome? - 6 points (wreckless driving), and $300 dollar fine. I also had to go to court (OUT OF STATE - about 2hr. drive). After that, my insurance looked like the national debt. I actually had to change insurance companies after they begin to charge $950 every six months (Only 1 old car on my policy). To make matters worse, it was my first ticket, had no wrecks, or anything else. I know it was my fault, but I got absolutely no slack from anyone. Makes me mad when I hear about people getting off with a warning or reduced charge. Oh Well, live and learn. Now, I just enjoy "redlight racing", - a race of acceleration up to the speed limit. Once I get to the speed limit, maybe a little over, I ease up and let whoever I was racing pass by. This way, I still have fun, and no more speeding tickets! :cool:
Old 05-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What was your worst speeding ticket? (shotgun_000)

145km in a 100km zone, so that's about 91mph. I thought I was gonna go to jail but I played it cool and the officer just gave me the ticket and said slow down and have a nice day. :crazy:
Old 05-09-2002, 08:19 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What was your worst speeding ticket? (Stingy74)

Careless.
Came out of my driveway sideways and spinin. Unfortunately, right in front of a state boy.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:20 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

106 in a 55 zone in a Kenworth pulling 40,000# of steel. The Indiana State Trooper had no sense of humor. That was back when everywhere was 55MPH. and it seems to take about 4 days to get across Indiana if you go 55. :crazy:
Old 05-09-2002, 09:28 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Re: What was your worst speeding ticket? (Pete79L82)

250KMH in a 100KMH area of a highway at about 3 am. I didn't actually get a ticket because here in Toronto, only the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)can give you a ticket on a 400 series highway (401,404,403,427,410,ect..)and the cop who pulled me over was a Metro Toronto Police officer! Whew! That would have been a terrible ticket. There was no one else on the road at the time, and I was driving my supercharged Mustang when out of nowhere, right on my butt, with cherries flashing, was a metro cop driving one of the Z-28 cop cars they have!! It scared the crap outta me! All the dude said was slow down and don't get yourself killed!
Old 05-09-2002, 09:39 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Define worst...
Ticketed in Texas for doing 98 in a 55, with all four tires locked and smoking :eek: :D (84 Firebird)
Warning ticket in Oklahoma for 72 in a 55; was going to be a pretty serious ticket until my motorcycle (loaded with tank & tail bag) blew over. The trooper felt so sorry for me he just made it a warning... (94 VFR).
Former cost BIG $ but the latter really hurt. :cry
Old 05-09-2002, 09:44 PM
dewayne4
Instructor

I was going 105 or better when the Cop clocked me. I immediately pulled over as I passed him. When he came to the door I told him I was wrong to be driving so carelessly, and he knocked the ticket down to 74mph. :D
Old 05-09-2002, 09:45 PM
erika1977
Instructor

the two of us were totally naked speedin down the highway-when the cop saw us, he said "you can't do 69 in a 55 mph zone" :D :p: :D
Old 05-09-2002, 09:51 PM
Instructor

120mph in a 65 early on a Saturday morning. 3 guys + gear packed into my old Stealth twin turbo for a one-day spring ski trip to Tahoe climbing up the Sierra foothills. Cop told me "I had to drive 140mph for miles just to catch you, I don't like driving that fast. I could've had a blow-out. I've got a family at home." He told me he should take me to jail, but the judge won't be in 'till Monday. He let me go, but that was one expensive ticket.

If I had known he was back there, I could've smoked his rustang and hid on the next off ramp. But it's hard to beat a radio and I still had a great day of skiing.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Justin79-L-82
Pro

Default Re: What was your worst speeding ticket? (68427)

mine was 120 km/h in a 70 km/h. i was late for skool and was having a really bad day.. and it wasn't even in my corvette haha
Old 05-09-2002, 10:20 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought my 95 in a 55 was bad but some of you got me beat! :jester
Old 05-09-2002, 10:23 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What was your worst speeding ticket? (78Vette-SA)

105 in a 55 in upstate NY on the Thruway - written for 75 in a 55 (there are a few good excuses left)

90 in a 55 (same area 2 years earlier - you'd think I'd learn)
Old 05-09-2002, 10:24 PM
FNG
Instructor

Does 145 in a 35 on a motorcycle count?? :jester My brother and i were out playing early one morning, about 3 am, on 2 yamaha fzr1000s. blasting through this little pi** ant town outside Sacramento. almost went to jail. a state trooper showed up that my brother sold a bike to and he cooled down the cop we stopped for. $2104.00 and damn near went to jail for 6 months. some people just have no sense of humor :D
Old 05-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Clink69
Drifting

125 MPH in a 30 zone. Ouch.. \Was 16 trying impress girl on the back of my 1972 Yamaha 305 twin. Man that thing was fast for the time.. Cop had to follow my 2 stroke smoke trail for several miles until he pulled into my neighborhood. Believe this $15 ticket and he only wrote me up for 60 in a 30 zone but it was 5 points. Like a dummy I tried to hid it from my parents and got sent to traffic school anyways. Movies they showed are gross... :eek:

:flag
Old 05-09-2002, 11:01 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I went out with some guys from work, and really tore it up. The next morning, I went out to where I had parked my car, and it was gone. You see, at Ohio State, not even POS sky blue Dodge Omni’s are safe. So I called the police. They picked me up and had me file a stolen auto report while they drove me back to my buddy’s house. As I signed the report and got out of the paddy wagon, I looked to my left and….there was my car.

We were so wasted the night before, I forgot we had moved it.

I couldn’t explain to the Columbus Police that “hey, there’s my car, I guess we were just soooo drunk last night…” So I let them leave. And then I drove home. But before the police left, they warned me that, should my car reappear, I had to call them and let them no. Sure, no problem.

So a few nights later, I’m late for work, and I’m flying. Yes, even POS sky blue Dodge Omni’s can go 90mph, they just don't like it. I look up, there are blue and reds behind me, lighting up my car. I'm busted. So I pull over. The officer approached my car, and asked if I knew how fast I was going. I told him that I did, and I would take my ticket. I was late for work and had to be on my way. He was happy to have such a willing ticket recipient on his hands, absent of all the typical “I wasn’t speeding B.S.” So he goes back to the car and runs the plates. And the car comes up stolen.

The whole time he was back in the squad car, I was up in my car, trying to figure out why he was taking so long. I had received enough tickets to know that it doesn’t take fifteen minutes to write one.

The next thing I know, a bright white halo of light comes beaming from the sky and lights up my whole car. It’s a helicopter. Before I can make sense of what’s happening, a gun comes through my window and is pointed right at my face. “Son, don’t you move an inch. This car is stolen.”

“Oh crap.” I ended up getting spread eagled and handcuffed on the hood of my car, on the side of the road. The whole time this is going on, my employees are driving by, beeping their horns and screaming. The officer asked if I knew them. Yep, I know them.

Anyway, it took two hours for the police to contact my wife and have her come down to the freeway with my information, to prove the POS skyblue Dodge Omni was mine. As luck would have it, I had no I.D. of any kind on me.

So I was late for work.
I got the ticket.
I pissed off my wife.
And everyone who worked for me, for the next year, had something else to rag on me for.

:D
Old 05-09-2002, 11:04 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Erika, I just read yours. Damn, that's funny. :lol:
Old 05-09-2002, 11:05 PM
MYPET70
Advanced

80+ in a 55 back on Memorial Day, 1980 - never forget it. Older FL state trooper was absolutely floored when I answered his questions so directly (and respectfully) "Did you know you were speeding" - Yes sir, I did. "Are you in a hurry to get somewhere" - No sir, not really. "Then why were you driving over 25 MPH over the limit?" - Well, it's a nice day, I took the tops off, had the radio on...just felt like driving fast I guess...

He had a speech prepared in advance and had real trouble getting it out after I admitted to everything. Wrote it up as a "standard moving violation" (same as running a stop sign) with a $25 fine. Like a :conehead I was mad about getting any kind of ticket but later became very grateful :D when I learned that kind of speed could have put me in jail, car confiscated, class III felony, reckless driving, etc... I got off lucky....well almost... the ticket still said 80+ in a 55 and had to pay confiscatory insurance rates for a couple years.

He did compliment my car though and my respect for the police and especially State Patrol is as high as ever - I'm grateful for what they do. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To What was your worst speeding ticket?

Old 05-09-2002, 11:08 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

105 in a 40 in my '68 442 down Iowa Street in Lawrence, Kansas. Right out of High School, too. Cruising (or, "shooting the square" as we called it) on a normal Saturday night when a souped up Beetle (ACK!) FLEW past my buddy and me. "He can't do that!" I said, and floored it. Had a built 455 in the car and just roared right over the hill south of 15th street and right past the campus cops. Oh my. Sometimes it's nice to live in a smaller town - I happened to know the officer, so no jail time. Big azz ticket, though. Took most of the summer to pay that off so I had money to go to school in the fall!
Old 05-10-2002, 12:00 AM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Back in 1990, 89 in a 55--Even though the So. Carolina Highway patrolman claimed I was doing well over 90. He was "cutting me a break" since 90+ is a much larger fine with more points.
I'll never forget, 2 SCHP cars, 3 officers, 2 of them standing back with their hands at the ready, and there we are, in a 1977 Buick LaSabre, me, the wife, and my 2 very young daughters in the back seat...scared to death.

I swear that it was the Florida plates (drug runners going up and down I-95) that caused them to be extra cautious.

[Modified by shoptek, 11:01 PM 5/9/2002]
Old 05-10-2002, 07:16 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What was your worst speeding ticket? (shoptek)

My worst wasn't the speed that made it bad....49 in a 45 zone :rolleyes: :lol: I was in virginia driving through a very small town with the traffic passing me in the left lane, I was going 50mph. An unmarked car pulled up beside me and the officer put his hat on and pulled me over. He said" BOA...Know whaat the speed limit is 'round heah" I said "yes sir it's fourty five but traffic was passing me on the left". He said "Well son.... AH jest cain't stop ever body now can ah. AH clocked you at prit'n neah fifty in a foaty fahv zone. You's under arrest..... follow me."(out of state with a military sticker) After spending most of the day in Jail waiting for someone to pay my fine, when I came out .there was a No parking sign put up right in front of my car where the officer told me to park. There was a ticket on my windshield and another officer leaning on my car... "Going some where BOA??" :mad :cuss

Quick Reply: What was your worst speeding ticket?