C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Corvette Solid Check Engine light!

Old 12-26-2011, 06:00 PM
ejcorvette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 Corvette Solid Check Engine light!

I have 81 vette and I have check engine light on. I tried to retrieve the code but for some reason the light would not blink and I even tried disconnecting my battery to see if it will go away...no luck! What do you guys think is wrong and how can I make it blink to get the code? Thank you in advance for all feed back.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:05 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

I have an old OTC Monitor 2000 that reads the codes, but there is a way to short two of the terminals on the connector and make it blink the codes. I don't remember off hand exactly how to do this. If you tried this and it did not work, I would double check that you have the right proceedure. If you need me to, I'll look it up for you.

God bless, Sensei
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

i have an 81 also. Does your car still have the computer (ECM). I'm new to the site, however, it sounds like you may not have the ECM connected. How is the car running, rich? I take it that you know where the ALDL connector is located, it is under the ashtray. Code 12 (one long and two short blinks) is the standard everthing is okay code. All you need is a flat head screw driver. I will help if you need some more info.

Mark (still a learning rookie)
Old 12-26-2011, 09:14 PM
maxmachz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First look behind the driver seat, in the battery area, and the ecm is right in front of the battery.
The connector under the ashtray, 5 terminals, from left to right A thru E....the 2 right most terminals, D and E are for diagnostic; the last one, E, being chassis ground. Touch these 2 together, D and E, with the key on, no engine running. Wait, it takes a few seconds, listen for clicking, light should begin to flash. If it stays on, use a wire to known chassis ground and touch it to the second terminal in from the right, D. See if it goes into diagnostic. If yes E is no longer grounded. Just use the test wire ground, or look for why E is no longer grounded, broken, corroded, etc.

If not, pull ecm out of bracket, leave plugged in, look closely at the plugs, they are labeled... and ground terminal "5" on the ecm plug (still plugged in). Also check for 12v+ on terminal "R" on the ecm, this is the power to it, should be continuous. Should go into diagnostic, code "12" 3 times, then your trouble code(s) after that. Let us know what you get.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
ejcorvette
Cruising

Originally Posted by a1sensei
I have an old OTC Monitor 2000 that reads the codes, but there is a way to short two of the terminals on the connector and make it blink the codes. I don't remember off hand exactly how to do this. If you tried this and it did not work, I would double check that you have the right proceedure. If you need me to, I'll look it up for you.

God bless, Sensei
Ya I grounded the terminal and no blink.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:02 PM
ejcorvette
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mark Hawkins
i have an 81 also. Does your car still have the computer (ECM). I'm new to the site, however, it sounds like you may not have the ECM connected. How is the car running, rich? I take it that you know where the ALDL connector is located, it is under the ashtray. Code 12 (one long and two short blinks) is the standard everthing is okay code. All you need is a flat head screw driver. I will help if you need some more info.

Mark (still a learning rookie)
Yes I still have the ECM, no mods on this car and everything is stock. I noticed its a bit running rich lately. I disconnected the ECM next to the battery and light still on.

I know where the connector to get the code and I grounded the terminal to get the light to blink but no luck.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM
ejcorvette
Cruising

Originally Posted by maxmachz
First look behind the driver seat, in the battery area, and the ecm is right in front of the battery.
The connector under the ashtray, 5 terminals, from left to right A thru E....the 2 right most terminals, D and E are for diagnostic; the last one, E, being chassis ground. Touch these 2 together, D and E, with the key on, no engine running. Wait, it takes a few seconds, listen for clicking, light should begin to flash. If it stays on, use a wire to known chassis ground and touch it to the second terminal in from the right, D. See if it goes into diagnostic. If yes E is no longer grounded. Just use the test wire ground, or look for why E is no longer grounded, broken, corroded, etc.

If not, pull ecm out of bracket, leave plugged in, look closely at the plugs, they are labeled... and ground terminal "5" on the ecm plug (still plugged in). Also check for 12v+ on terminal "R" on the ecm, this is the power to it, should be continuous. Should go into diagnostic, code "12" 3 times, then your trouble code(s) after that. Let us know what you get.

Hope this helps.

I'll try this one when I get home.

thanks and I will let you guys know.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM
jr105
Instructor

If you disconnected the ECM and the light is still on then it sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere between the light and the ECM. The light has 12V applied to it all the time and the light is lit by the ECM completing the path to ground. Check the wire from the ECM to the light for continuity to ground. If memory serves me correctly it is G on the ECM connector or B (2nd form the left) on the connector under the ashtray.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:12 PM
ejcorvette
Cruising

Originally Posted by jr105
If you disconnected the ECM and the light is still on then it sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere between the light and the ECM. The light has 12V applied to it all the time and the light is lit by the ECM completing the path to ground. Check the wire from the ECM to the light for continuity to ground. If memory serves me correctly it is G on the ECM connector or B (2nd form the left) on the connector under the ashtray.
Sorry for the mistyped, I disconnected the ECM and plug back in and still light ON. I checked for continuity between connectors (under ashtray) and connector on the ECM side and it was good. I'm assuming my ECM is bad because when I pulled it out and disconnected it, I can see that inside is corroded.

How much usually a ECM go for this car?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM
maxmachz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not much. Get a new one, not used, and pull the PROM out of the old one to put in the new one. Just did mine, $100.

Maintenance free sealed battery is a must, the ones with caps that gas when charged / not maintained will corrode the ecm.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:48 PM
VetteV8
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same; light would stay on and would never blink, whatever I did.
Had the ECM tested in another car, and in that car also the light would not blink, but stayed on.
A new ECM resolved the problem.
Cor
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 PM
ejcorvette
Cruising

I finally replaced the ECM back in early January this year and its been good since till the other day. The check engine light came on and I pulled the code and it was code 51 which is bad PROM. Also my car is misfiring when its running on gear and hesitating, but when i put on neutral and floor it, it runs ok...no misfire.

So guys think the prom is causing it? Where can i get a new prom replacement?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
1yy07
Racer

Default 81 e prom

try k&b products.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Have you tried removing the prom and re-installing it? There might be a bad connection on one of the pins. Make sure the battery is disconnected when you do it.

Mark G
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 92 Posts

Only prom I could find was from Hypertech.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RC81
Only prom I could find was from Hypertech.
Zip Corvette seems to have the parts for about 300 to replace the ccu and the prom.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/GroupDet...2+Rebuilt+ECM&

Then again, the whole mess could be thrown out and the Rochester retuned for an increase in performance and much cheaper.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:50 PM
ejcorvette
Cruising

I did removed it and reinstalled it but still runs bad when its on gear.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Corvette Solid Check Engine light!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Now that you have changed the ECM, have you [again] tried to retrieve the trouble codes stored in the [new] ECM? You should do that.

And, if you still can't retrieve them, your PROM is likely defective.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Know this is an older thread revived, but since you're talking 81', assume the car has an electronically controlled carburator. These carbs have M/C(mixture control) soleniods, that tend to go bad over time. There's rubber tipped metering rods in these that can harden and break off. Car will run ruff, and though a code. Alcohol infused gas certainly isn't helping things here.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It is an older thread, but the OP is still trying to resolve the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 81 Corvette Solid Check Engine light!