C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P/S Steering Valve Stud Removal from Pitman

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default P/S Steering Valve Stud Removal from Pitman

When the castle nut is off can I just pound that power steering control valve stud off the pitman arm with a rubber hammer? Or do I need a tie-rod puller?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:57 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I used a tie rod puller and once it was as tight as I could get it It still needed several hits to the side of the relay rod with BFH to get it to come on done. Same was true with most all of the tie rods, ball joints and idler arm. There are some videos on the web showing how to get ball joints off with blow from a BFH.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mikep3
I used a tie rod puller and once it was as tight as I could get it It still needed several hits to the side of the relay rod with BFH to get it to come on done. Same was true with most all of the tie rods, ball joints and idler arm. There are some videos on the web showing how to get ball joints off with blow from a BFH.
Looks like I may need a puller. I don't know about a BFH. It should be on there at only 60 ft/lbs but corrosion may be a factor. Hopefully it was greased when installed.

I bought myself a blueprinted steering box from Gary R. for Christmas and look forward in the spring to putting it on.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-27-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:49 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello Paul. I know you do not want to do any damage to your components so I wanted to let you know how I did mine. I used a small pitman arm puller. It was a tight fit under the frame but it worked. Mine had been removed back in the middle '80's so might not have been as tight as yours. You could also consider removing the pitman arm from the steering box and after it drops down be able to get to the PSCV easier. AutoZone has these for loan. mike...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uller/_/N-264w

Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Mike,

As my pic above shows I do not have to pull the pitman arm that is on the box at 140 ft/lbs, my new steering box has it properly installed already. I just wish to anticipate getting the pitman arm off the power steering valve stud. My initial thoughts are just to hit the stud out of the pitman arm with a rubber hammer. I thought it might just pop out with a couple of good hits. Is this wishful thinking? I can borrow a puller if need be.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

OK, now I see. Are you just doing the box or other work to the PSCV? If you remove the PS cylinder from the frame mount or the mount from the frame the steering linkage will drop a bit and give you some more room. The stud is pulled into a tapered hole on the pitman arm and they wedge in there pretty good. They make a pretty good "crack" sometimes when they break loose when you use the puller. You have two pitman arms? Keep the one on the new box remove your old one from the old box to gain more room to the stud on the PSCV. The arm to box connection is not as hard to get to. Good Luck with it. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 12-27-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mds3013
OK, now I see. Are you just doing the box or other work to the PSCV? If you remove the PS cylinder from the frame mount or the mount from the frame the steering linkage will drop a bit and give you some more room. Good Luck with it. mike...
Just the steering box. I suspect the linkage will just drop down a bit. Or reverse logic, I just pull the loosened box up and out.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-27-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have my gear box out and on a press with a bearing fixture and I still cannot get the pitman arm off the shaft. I heated it with a torch and soaked with PB, still no joy. Any one else run into this? If so what did you do to get it off?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by paul 74
Just the steering box. I suspect the linkage will just drop down. Or reverse logic, I just pull the loosened box up.

Don't you love dealing with we mechanical neophytes! At least we try.
Everything I have seen you do on your car is way above average believe me. It is tight between the motor mount frame horn and the PSCV stud. I edited my previous post with a little more info. mike...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Everything I have seen you do on your car is way above average believe me. It is tight between the motor mount frame horn and the PSCV stud. I edited my previous post with a little more info. mike...
Thanks Mike, I appreciate that. This will be an April job as my car is in storage. I am just looking ahead.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I used the pitman arm puller, but could not get it on with the steering box mounted in the car. I had to remove it and get two extra beer mechanics to help get it off.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RobbSalzmann
I'm trying to do the same thing. I have my gear box out and on a press with a bearing fixture and I still cannot get the pitman arm off the shaft. I heated it with a torch and soaked with PB, still no joy. Any one else run into this? If so what did you do to get it off?
You have a PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I used the pitman arm puller, but could not get it on with the steering box mounted in the car. I had to remove it and get two extra beer mechanics to help get it off.
Just to reiterate, I have the whole darn thing assembled. I just have to put it on....
Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I am talking about the power steering valve stud, it is like a tie rod, not the pitman arm connection at 140 ft/lbs.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-27-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power steering control valve stud connected to the pitman arm.......is there a reason why a pickle fork in an air hammer won't work?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I used a small pickle fork on my 81. It was a tight fit and needed several blows with a 3lb hammer. A rubber mallet won't even come close to getting it off......Tim
Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

A pickle fork will absolutely seperate the joint. However, to prevent damage to the PSCV which is a thin wall casting I used the puller. Notice the mark to the right of the stud. Damage from '80's. mike...

Get notified of new replies

To P/S Steering Valve Stud Removal from Pitman

Old 12-28-2011, 03:28 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default TWO hammers.

Paul,
This usually works. Get the biggest steel hammer or even an axe and rest its head hard against one side of the Pitman arm where the control valve stud goes through. Then hit the opposite side of the Pitman arm with the next smallest steel hammer you have. And hit it hard! The Pitman arm should leap off the stud, or the stud should drop out of the P. arm.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Paul,
This usually works. Get the biggest steel hammer or even an axe and rest its head hard against one side of the Pitman arm where the control valve stud goes through. Then hit the opposite side of the Pitman arm with the next smallest steel hammer you have. And hit it hard! The Pitman arm should leap off the stud, or the stud should drop out of the P. arm.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Famous last words from a Corvette owner...."I thought this was going to be an easy job".
Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

A pickle fork will absolutely seperate the joint. However, to prevent damage to the PSCV which is a thin wall casting I used the puller. Notice the mark to the right of the stud. Damage from '80's. mike...

Also... Any lateral force applied to the control valve stud is also applied to the bearing in the bottom of the gearbox via the pitman arm. Physics 101.

Quick Reply: P/S Steering Valve Stud Removal from Pitman