C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio wiring for factory setup? 1971

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 AM
trigga11
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio wiring for factory setup? 1971

Did all 1971 models come with a factory radio.
I can not locate any wiring for a factory radio.
if all 1971 models came with a radio, what is the color codes from the main wirinh harness to the raio. the car I purchasedd was missing the raio. I have located a factory radio, and amplifier
thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The connector has 3 terminals (yellow, black and grey) and its located right behind the center gauges cluster.

I know this pic is not so clear, but its the best that I can find in my computer, so at least you got an idea of how it looks :

Last edited by HamadUP; 12-30-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 AM
trigga11
8th Gear

Default thanks

Thanks mate! for that will check it out in the morning, do you know if all corvettes had a radio factory fitted in 1971?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm not sure if you still could order a reglular production Corvette at that time with "Radio Delete" option, but I do know that all ZR1s in 1971 (both LT1s and LS6s) came out from the factory with "Radio Delete" option, but still I think they have that connector hidden somewhere behind the dash, its because I never heard about a "Radio Delete" dash wiring harness.

Last edited by HamadUP; 12-30-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 AM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally the radio connector was taped to the harness behind the area where the radio would be installed. The PO may have cut the connector off to install an after market radio, then look for the yellow, black and grey wire ends.

Last edited by bpassmore; 12-30-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by trigga11
...Did all 1971 models come with a factory radio....
No. The radio was optional at extra cost.

...I can not locate any wiring for a factory radio...
It's part of the main dash harness. Let's hope the PO did not cut it. If it's been cut, you can purchase a stock connector from the aftermarket providers.

...what is the color codes from the main wirinh harness to the raio...
Yellow for power; gray for illumination; black for ground. You will see where it plugs on the left rear corner of your stereo.

Purchase the 71 assembly instruction manual; flip to the options section, and follow the diagrams for factory iinstallation of the stereo.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 AM
vetternr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
No. The radio was optional at extra cost.

It's part of the main dash harness. Let's hope the PO did not cut it. If it's been cut, you can purchase a stock connector from the aftermarket providers.

Yellow for power; gray for illumination; black for ground. You will see where it plugs on the left rear corner of your stereo.

Purchase the 71 assembly instruction manual; flip to the options section, and follow the diagrams for factory iinstallation of the stereo.

That year also had a Stereo option. The standard optional radio was Am/FM ( no Stereo ). If you wanted Stereo it was another option. If you have the Stereo option there will be a Stereo adapter mounted behind the passenger instrument panel map pocket ( in front of where your knees would be. Also you will need two speakers mounted in the upper dash pad. The wires for those should also be located where the radio power connector is supposed to be.

Get notified of new replies

To radio wiring for factory setup? 1971

Quick Reply: radio wiring for factory setup? 1971