C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance shocks : a new entry

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default performance shocks : a new entry

I have no experience with these ( i have QA1 on my car ) but they seem interesting . I think an option to Bilstein and QA1

http://www.duntovmotors.com/vintage-...php#Suspension
Old 01-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by elle88
I have no experience with these ( i have QA1 on my car ) but they seem interesting . I think an option to Bilstein and QA1

http://www.duntovmotors.com/vintage-...php#Suspension
WOW! I knew inflation was comming along with a dollar collapse but, after looking at those prices on that web sure, I wonder where my $150/oz silver prices are.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Those shocks clearly appear for racing and not for the street, which are very different. I honestly would not predict that these shocks are a replacment for Bilstein Sports or possibly even the QA1's.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that even on the street , the corvettes require quite a stiff shock to get rid of the bouncing behavior.OK then the ride gets quite stiff but the car handles great both in turns and under acceleration-braking , not like a yo-yo
never liked the Bilsteins (tried both HD and sport), QA1 are much better and happy with them : i should have gone with QA1 from day 1 and save time and $$$.
But now QA1 seems that have discountinued its production . check here

http://www.summitracing.com/search/M...s/?keyword=qa1

i can't find my shocks there anymore ( the single adjust TC1574P rear, TC1958P or TS508 front ) and i don't see their replacements.... that's why possibly the Duntov shocks could be a good choice at the end
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I think that even on the street , the corvettes require quite a stiff shock to get rid of the bouncing behavior.OK then the ride gets quite stiff but the car handles great both in turns and under acceleration-braking , not like a yo-yo
never liked the Bilsteins (tried both HD and sport), QA1 are much better and happy with them : i should have gone with QA1 from day 1 and save time and $$$.

i can't find my shocks there anymore ( the single adjust TC1574P rear, TC1958P or TS508 front ) and i don't see their replacements.... that's why possibly the Duntov shocks could be a good choice at the end
I agree that the C3's have a tendency to be bouncy especially in the rear but the reason for the bouncy ride is twofold:

1. The rear spring rates are generally too soft for the suspension design, a transverse leaf spring, especially with a composite that has much better ride and handling characteristics than a steel one. The composite material allows for much higher spring rates with very little loss of ride comfort. I use a 360 composite and have since 1986 from VBP but would probably go higher if the spring every needs to be replaced-most likely 420 Lbs. I use Bilstein Sports in the rear with the 360 spring and Bilstein HD's in the front with 550 springs, 1 inch lower than stock. I have no bouncy ride anymore with the Sports.

2. The 15 inch tires, 225/70 or 255/60's both have way too much sidewall flex with also contributes to a bouncy ride plus very poor performance. I use 255/45/17 ZR's which have a very stiff stidewall. The sidewall on the 15 inch tires acts like a shock (a very soft one) as well when it flexes.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

QA1 didn't discontinue their shocks for vette. They just changed the part numbers b/c now all shocks have a black anodized base which will be compatable with QA1's Wireless Remote Adjust System...when it's perfected.

Get notified of new replies

To performance shocks : a new entry

Quick Reply: performance shocks : a new entry