C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent trailing arm ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM
oledave60
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bent trailing arm ?

I was cleaning up my trailing arms and noticed a big difference in the two. The right is nearly straight and looks to have been welded on. The left has a slight dog leg and looks more original. Do I need to replace the right one? Thanks, Dave

Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Just went through this myself except the other way
Someone extra-bent mine (on purpose, looks like to add clearance for the wider wheels it had at one point)

The two arms should be slightly dog-legged and are mirror images of each other (in fact I think someone said the only different is where they weld the bump-stop and brake brackets

If I put a straight edge along the "inside" of the arm

I get about an inch at the rear where the hole for the 1/2 shaft goes in

Sorry, don't have the dim for the spindle side, these were for another member who was trying to check some on the car (I think that might be where I read about the arms actually being the same, don't recall)

HIH
Mooser
Old 01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
oledave60
Pro

Thanks for the reply and pictures. That helps alot. Looks like I need a right arm. Dave.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Oledave, had same issue, but didn't notice until I tried to have the wheels aligned. Alignment shop couldn't get close to specs. Sometime during car's history, someone must have slid into a curb, or something. Easier to get replacement than try to bend old one to the proper bend.

Looks like you will be checking out the bearings at the same time.

Ralph.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 PM
oledave60
Pro

Cleaned up the the left spindle and found this. And the beat (spending) goes on. Dave

Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Keeping your wallet light will prevent you from walking with a list. Prevents back strain and possible long term sciatic nerve damage!
Owning an older vette is actually good for your health.

I'm just slightly ahead of your exploration
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...post1579325799

Ended up ordering two new arms (see this post)
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ling-arms.html. Currently moving the e-brake brackets up to the top (that's the ground area on the pics I put up for you)

Two complete rebuilt spindle assemblies from Van-Steel (excellent service, absolutely fantastic, finished product is beautiful)

Right now I'm in the process of talking myself into a new Muskegon HD rear-end cover, since I'm in this far and it's a he!! of a job to change it later. My stock cover is looking a little tough and since their prone to snap.....

I should have just gotten a good drug habit or something else cheaper than old cars.
Mooser
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM
oledave60
Pro

Well I'll be 73 in about three months, so I need all the health advice I can get. I just hope I can finish this sucker and drive it before they take my license away. Dave
Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The arm on the left is bent for sure.. The one on the right looks right but replacement would depend on how well it was welded.

If you decide to get them, we have the USA arms made on the OEM tooling at this link... if you use the current sale coupon you'll save an addtion 10 percent. 270.00 for the pair after discount.

Willcox
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM
oledave60
Pro

Mr. Wllcox, I sure wanted to do business with you and yesterday I tried to order a bout

Mr. Willcox, I sure wanted to do business with you mainly because of your participation on this forum and your price. Yesterday I tried to place an order for about $300 and it was turned down because you don't accept Discover. I would like to do business in the future, but this is the credit card I use. Thanks, Dave
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oledave60
Cleaned up the the left spindle and found this. And the beat (spending) goes on. Dave

WOW! Do you have any more pictures? What the heck happened to grenade the bearing spacer like that? I'm trying to picture how that could even happen...
Old 01-29-2012, 08:36 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Mr. Wllcox, I sure wanted to do business with you and yesterday I tried to order a bout

Mr. Willcox, I sure wanted to do business with you mainly because of your participation on this forum and your price. Yesterday I tried to place an order for about $300 and it was turned down because you don't accept Discover. I would like to do business in the future, but this is the credit card I use. Thanks, Dave
If you use Paypal you can use your Discover card.

No telling what happened inside the arm. It could be from someone not having the correct clearance on the bearings or some other cause. Inspecting the spindle for would highly be suggested, both the bearing surface's and check it for wobble.

A quick way to check the spindle size for those without a micrometer is to attempt to install the bearing on the spindle by hand. If you can slide either bearing in place without pressing it on, you need a spindle. Stake marks, or chisel marks on either end is a signe it's been messed with.

IMHO,

Willcox
Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

This is just an opinion- conjecture....to me that looks like the tire/wheel/spindle hit something hard. The shape of the piece missing from the spacer seems to indicate a hard blow to the end surface. If that's the side where the arm is bent, then it all makes sense. First time I ever saw one like that.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 AM
oledave60
Pro

This is from the left side, right side had bent arm. Also there were two inner seals. That ring on the right is what's left of one of them. The spindle looks OK and bearings fit tight. There was no metal in the housing, so I think this had been taken apart and the spacer and shim put back in this condition.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Dave, the bearings don't fit in place on the spindle without pressing them on do they?

My guess is someone set it up wrong at one point. With two inner seals.. that can't be a good sign for sure and how in the world did they get two inner seals in there.

Get notified of new replies

To Bent trailing arm ?

Quick Reply: Bent trailing arm ?