C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seek Advice on 1977 Restore

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:56 AM
blkc3
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seek Advice on 1977 Restore

This is my first experience, I am starting on a 77 L48. The car isn't in real bad shape, still all original. It needs some engine work, interior work, and paint. I would like to keep pretty much original but gain some hp. - Not to be long winded but just looking for some advice to get started. - any mods that I should avoid, experience with aftermarket products, things to try and restore vs buying replacement, where to get original equipment parts? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You could build your L-48 to L-82 specs without having to go to 4 bolt mains. Essentially cheap and parts are available.

Order the assembly instruction manual (AIM) and GM chassis service manual before you get under way.

This is good for reference pics and info:

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Scotty76
Instructor

Strip off the cat. system and put a free flowing, true dual exhaust on it.
That will gain you a bit of HP right off the bat.
The next level would be heads, intake, carb. and cam.

The more I do this car stuff the more I realize it's cheaper to buy it done.
Too bad I'm a glutton for punishment.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do any safety/reliability repairs needed before you spend any money anywhere else. Once it runs, rides and stops properly you just might decide it's OK as is. A pretty car which does not run is yard art... a good running but ugly car is still a car.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:42 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by markids77
Do any safety/reliability repairs needed before you spend any money anywhere else. Once it runs, rides and stops properly you just might decide it's OK as is. A pretty car which does not run is yard art... a good running but ugly car is still a car.
love to see another 77 owner..... good advise here... what i did with my 77 when i got it was i got it home, made sure it was safe, drove it for a while to see what it may need and went from there,, i wound up driving the car doe 3 years the way i bought it before i did my new motor a new paint... so just make si=ure its safe and drive it for awhile and enjoy it...
Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 AM
blkc3
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input.
The car is mechanically sound (lights, breaks, etc)
The dual exhaust is on my want list. I have thought about using flow-master. I am not sure which style yet. I want it to sound/perform good but still be able to hold a convresation. I would appreciate any rec's.
I am still trying to figure out how far I want to go on the engine. I am trying to keep it fairly original but upgrade where it makes sense. Can you upgrade intake and still have enough room under the hood?
I am glad I found this forum. I have enjoyed reading post and appreciate the advice.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 PM
rguerette
6th Gear

Hi,

I've had my 77 a yr and a half now - did a fair amount of work to get it inspected (brakes,horn,wipers, power sterring slave cylinder and rag joint) and completely renovated the inside (door panels, dash, carpet, etc,etc)but have not tackled the performance thing yet becuse I'm not much of a mechanic. It would be great tocompare notes.

Rocky77
Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 PM
slopoke17
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey blkc3, I'm in the same boat. Just purchased my 77 a few weeks ago. Mechanically sound just needs some appearance upgrades. For now I just want to drive it as the weather allows and see what it needs. My plan is to redo the interior this summer with some new seats and door panels and dye the gray interior to red. This fall I planned on some engine detailing and new exhaust. I've always liked the flowmasters, have them on my other cars as well. The 40 series is pretty loud, 50 series is a little quieter. There are quite a few posts with lots of detailed pics for anything you want to do. Some good guys here.

Hello to Rocky77, live right near you, I'm from Longmeadow.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
blkc3
Heel & Toe

Hi Slo and Rocky - Good to see I am not alone. I am still in the tear down and cleaning stage right now. I have the intake manifold off, radiator out, and new cam (Lunati-vodoo installed) I am finding out this is a slow process but I am loving every bit of it. Still researching and making shopping list. Good luck fella's
Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Sideways73
Advanced

Seems to be a bunch of 77 owners out here! I myself have a 77 I just got about 4 months ago now. Solid car that runs good but definately needs some work. My first thing to hit were the brakes (going fast does you no good if you can't stop). And now I am starting on the front suspension as soon as my parts arrive. I definately reccomend making sure it is safe with what you have now before trying to make it faster. But I will also say I redid my exhaust already because I at least had to make it sound good while I drive it now and fix everything else

Get notified of new replies

To Seek Advice on 1977 Restore

Quick Reply: Seek Advice on 1977 Restore