C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools Required for Changing Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 10:08 AM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tools Required for Changing Rear Springs

I got a lot of good advice from a previous post about changing my original steel rear springs to a composite spring for my '70. I think I'll be going with the 330 LB composite springs from Vette Brakes, along with the polyurethane bushings. While I'm changing the springs I'm also going to replace the shocks. This is going to be my first time replacing the springs, hangers, bushings, shocks, etc. I have a pretty good selection of tools, but I want to make sure that I'll have everything I need when I'm ready to start. Can someone post a tools list for this type of job? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tools Required for Changing Rear Springs (Motor City Vette)

Just a regular set of sockets, box ends, etc. If you have an impact wrench or air ratchet, it helps; but you don't have to have one. The only other thing is a C-Clamp to keep the spring from shooting the jack across the floor.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:44 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you change the hanger bolt that connects the rear spring to the trailing arm.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:46 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tools Required for Changing Rear Springs (Mack76)

The only thing I can think of that you may have a problem with is the shock mounts. Mine came off just fine but I hear others have had some difficulty.
It isn't a tool but if you scarf them up you may need new ones.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:10 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tools Required for Changing Rear Springs (lbell101)

The only thing I can think of that you may have a problem with is the shock mounts. Mine came off just fine but I hear others have had some difficulty.
It isn't a tool but if you scarf them up you may need new ones.
provided he is not replacing the strut rods or removing the trailing arm, the shock mounts aarent an issue. Cause you are right, they can be a cast iron bitch to get off :yesnod:

A very basic selection of hand tools including a decent socket set, a selection of open end wrenches or crescent wrench to get at the top of the spring bolt (in the trailing arm). C-clamp and two pieces of 1x lumber (to clamp top and bottom of your new fiberglass spring when jacking it up onto the new bolt)

Get the extended bolt from VB with the poly cushions, also get the heavy duty spring retaining plate - its much tougher than the factory one.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:45 AM
73-454
Burning Brakes

You know when it comes to dangerous jobs such as replacing springs I would leave it to the pros and it doesnt cost that much. I have seen and heard people getting hurt real bad replacing this stuff with-out the proper knowledge and tools. If your springs are not broken or sagging dont replace them just enjoy the vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Tools Required for Changing Rear Springs

Quick Reply: Tools Required for Changing Rear Springs