C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'72 door panel R&R questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:40 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default '72 door panel R&R questions

My '72 assembly manual says remove door panel, then remove door release handle.

I couldn't get the door panel to budge until i was able to first remove the door release handle, which didn't want to come out with the door panel in place. But is is off, now.

For re-installation,

should I first install the door release handle, then figure out how to get the door panel around it and into position?

Or install door panel first, then try to figure out how to get the release handle on?

The screw that holds the release handle looks to be real easy install with door panel off, but a PITA with door panel on.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the door panel goes on first, then slide door handle on, pull toward you and tighten screw. wish it was easier but !!!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You can get the door panel ON or OFF with the handle in position. It's a bit tricky, but not too bad. When taking it off, remove all the panel attaching screws and separate the plastic snap pieces. Then lift the panel off the top edge of the door, pull away from door only about 1", then slide the panel FORWARD until the panel slips off the handle.

To re-install, you put the panel in a similar position to where it was when it was removed. Look through the opening in the panel until the handle is lined up and is about 1/2" behind the edge of the opening. Now, you can slip a flat-blade screwdriver in the hole and under the forward end of the release handle. Using the screwdriver, lift the handle enough that you can slide the panel back and under the front end of the handle. Now, just slide the door panel the rest of the way back and hook over the top edge of the door.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:58 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You can get the door panel ON or OFF with the handle in position. It's a bit tricky, but not too bad. When taking it off, remove all the panel attaching screws and separate the plastic snap pieces. Then lift the panel off the top edge of the door, pull away from door only about 1", then slide the panel FORWARD until the panel slips off the handle.

To re-install, you put the panel in a similar position to where it was when it was removed. Look through the opening in the panel until the handle is lined up and is about 1/2" behind the edge of the opening. Now, you can slip a flat-blade screwdriver in the hole and under the forward end of the release handle. Using the screwdriver, lift the handle enough that you can slide the panel back and under the front end of the handle. Now, just slide the door panel the rest of the way back and hook over the top edge of the door.
That worked out quiet well with teh screw driver, once i got the first part of the handle through the opening, it just slipped back into position.

Getting the panel hooked over the top door lip in front, took a bit a work, as it wasn't just going to slip over with the handle keeping the panel from lifting

I made a J shaped tool, with a right angle handle out of some 1/8" by 1/2" flat bar, to grab under the lip of the door panel to get enough leverage to make it go over the door lip.

Thanks!

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To '72 door panel R&R questions

Quick Reply: '72 door panel R&R questions